0​
0​
0​

Previous Seasons
Victor Lindelof | Match Discussion thread 2017/18

Sideshow Bob

Premier League: Manchester United 1-2 Crystal Palace - 24th August 2019

Poor for Palace’s first goal.

He will lose his spot to Smalling at some point in the season.

RichH2016

That's pretty frightening it must be said. He was meant to be the partner for Maguire.

jsp

Tuenzebe seems to be next in line been the only CB on the bench for the last 3 games.

Was very poor you just can’t lose those headers it’s embarrassing don’t care how good you are on the ball if you can’t handle that situation you won’t last long and Palace aren’t the first team to target him with long balls.

RichH2016

Tuenzebe seems to be next in line been the only CB on the bench for the last 3 games
I actually think they should bring him in. I know it's early days but I think get that partnership developing with Maguire.

boothstownred

I wouldn't be against it. I think tuanzebe has a similar style to lindelof but stronger and faster. I a totally think United Fan's would take a bad season if it meant cultivating a different culture and partnerships. So introducing the like of tuanzebe, gomes, garner is essential to that. It's a difficult call to make and one I am not sure Ole will make.

jsp

I actually think they should bring him in. I know it's early days but I think get that partnership developing with Maguire.
It seems that Smalling, Jones and Rojo are all out of the frame currently all fit but haven’t made a single match day squad.

I think it’s to early to make the change it’s a new partnership so mistakes will happen but Lindelof needs to work with the coaches to stop this happening. That header cannot be lost and Maguire needs to make sure that in the 1 in 100 times it is he’s covering it.

That mistake to me was the sort of mistake made when a team isn’t switched on defensively probably because for 30 minutes they’d done no defending.

RichH2016

That header cannot be lost
I like Lindelof and there's a lot he does to like. But he's easily bullied and the header wasn't the only time he was exposed. I do worry about that going forwards.

boothstownred

If I am honest I never saw him as a better defender than smalling and even Jones. He is just better on the ball than smalling and more reliable than jones.

RichH2016

If I am honest I never saw him as a better defender than smalling and even Jones. He is just better on the ball than smalling and more reliable than jones.
I think actually that's a fair point. He's slightly better than both as an all around defender. Trouble was last year we were comparing him to utter rubbish.

jsp

I felt last season was a step in the right direction but he was part of our worst defence in PL history so he still had plenty to prove.

It’s a new partnership early days but it hasn’t looked overly impressive so far but need to stick with it I see no point chopping and changing this early if things don’t improve then things have to change but let’s judge it after 10 games not 3.

Sideshow Bob

Premier League: Southampton 1-1 Manchester United - 31st August 2019

Letting the second best centre back leave will prove to be a costly error.

jsp

My instant reaction was his fault but he was a sitting duck had no chance and at least challenged for the ball just got over powered.

It’s a weakness in his game and teams will play on it he needs to learn how to deal with it.

boothstownred

I think if smalling was playing that goal doesn't happen. Even if he couldn't get a clear head on it he would have messed him about enough to stop the goal. I have never really been sold on lindelof to be honest

jsp

I think if smalling was playing that goal doesn't happen. Even if he couldn't get a clear head on it he would have messed him about enough to stop the goal. I have never really been sold on lindelof to be honest
True but if Smalling played would we have been able to play out when put under pressure by that Southampton attack.

I’m not sold on Lindelof I’m sceptical of him but Smalling needed to move on others deserve the chance to prove they’re up to the job.

If Tuenzebe does well in Europa league games wouldn’t be surprised to see him come into the first team for Lindelof if he keeps being targeted.

We’d let plenty of stupid goals in with Smalling in the side so let’s not make it out like he was a superstar there’s a reason he’s on loan no one else will buy him without trying him first.

boothstownred

I am not making him out to be a superstar, just better than the guys we have other than Maguire. I would be happy to see tuanzebe given an opportunity

jsp

Yeah but he’s the past things have to change if he can go get him out same goes for Jones & Rojo even Bailly.

That defence basically needs a CB every summer for the next 2-3 years until we’ve changed the lot and got ourselves 3 or 4 reliable ones. Hopefully Tuenzebe steps up to be one of them.

boothstownred

I partly agree. I haven't got a problem with ultimately getting rid of smalling but I am not sure now was the time. Tbe problem is the rest are that bad nobody will have them

jsp

I partly agree. I haven't got a problem with ultimately getting rid of smalling but I am not sure now was the time. Tbe problem is the rest are that bad nobody will have them
He wouldn’t have been my first out but if he’s the only one offers come in for then let him go.

Jones should never have got another contract he’s far to comfortable at Utd should have just cut losses on him.

Still hope Rojo goes but he was on the bench today which makes me think he’s staying but who knows

Sideshow Bob

Premier League: Manchester United 1-0 Leicester City - 14th September 2019

Bad mistake early in the game, but played well for the rest of the game.