Premier League 0
FA Cup 0
League Cup 0
Champions League 0

Previous Seasons
Victor Lindelof | Match Discussion thread 2017/18

Premier League: Manchester United 2-1 Leicester City - 10th August 2018

Good start to the season.

I liked how Victor played against Bayern last Sunday and I liked how he played last night.

When everyone was bashing him throughout last season, I kept my faith that Mourinho made the right decision in bringing him to OT. It was just a matter of settling in and handling the pressure. Towards the end of last season his game slowly improved and he played really well for Sweden at the WC. If he continues to improve, I'm sure he can become a regular started for United.

I'd love for him to form a partnership with Bailly. When in form, this duo would be better than what City, Liverpool or Chelsea have.

Premier League: Brighton & Hove Albion 3-2 Manchester United - 19th August 2018

He was poor for the first goal.

Can’t handle a big centre forward was pushed around all afternoon by Murray and him and Bailly just made each other nervous.

I have said this from day 1. He doesn't even look like a centre half. Remember the 2 starting cbs today were Jose signings. Should have saved his money and bought 1 good one

Premier League: Manchester United 0-3 Tottenham Hotspur - 27th August 2018

Carragher: "I can't criticise Victor Lindelof because it has got to the stage where he is just out of his depth. I actually feel a little bit sorry for him. He should not be playing at this level."

Not really relevant, but on the radio, the commentater sounds like he is saying, Linda luv, when he says his name. Quite funny when listening. Adds a little moment of sun to the dull.

Was chucked into a team as a sub that was in panic mode and it swallowed him up.

He's clearly struggling but it feels like it's getting close to the end with him but like Depay might go and have a fine career elsewhere but mentally not strong enough for Utd. At this point if the other 4 are staying I'd consider getting him out on loan somewhere in europe try and get his confidence back somewhere else.

Vs Juventus

Best player for Utd tonight by an absolute mile.

Really? I though Young was by far more the better and more influential player considering he had to deal with Ronaldo as well.

Really? I though Young was by far more the better and more influential player considering he had to deal with Ronaldo as well.

Young basically kicked people then put in loads of terrible crosses.

Put an absolute shift in but the quality at the end of it was terrible.

I thought he was United’s best player. His best game by some distance.

Premier League: Manchester United 2-1 Everton - 28th October 2018

Another encouraging perfomance.

Did well this afternoon. He actually shoulder barged someone and knocked them off the ball. Is Victor getting used to the Premiership???

Champions League: Juventus 1-2 Manchester United - 7th November 2018

Another encouraging performance.

Been very good of late. It might not be the most talented of defences but it makes a big difference when a settled back 4 plays. Last night was 5 games in a row with the same back 4.

Most improved player of the season by miles

Playing well and improving but there’s still an issue in the air that needs to be resolved you can’t be an elite centre back and not dominate in the air. He needs to learn the dark arts that can give smaller defenders a way of competing with the big physical centre forwards.

He’s not a short defender though. Hes 6’2’’

He’s not a short defender though. Hes 6’2’’

Really?

Reckon when he jumps he manages to be about 1/2 a foot shorter than that someone much have edited his wiki page haha!

I think his issues in the air are 3 part.

1) he's scared of getting hurt
2) he's got poor timing in his jump
3) he doesn't read the flight of the ball and therefore doesn't position himself well enough.

I don't think you can really solve number 1 the aggressive bully style CF will always have that on him but 2 & 3 can be worked on with coaches and improved. If he could improve these it would hide the problem with number 1 because if you get in position early enough and can time your jump well you can force these strikers to foul you.

I think the issue with number 1 is why he likes pairing him with Smalling because he's quite aggressive and hands on with strikers so he can handle the more physical ones his issue is with the nimble footed quick ones.

I have always thought with him it’s just confidence, he is quality at international level. Just needed to get used to the league.

He is good on the ball, his passing is something we have lacked for years now. It was great to see him burst out of defence a few times running with the ball against Juve. Is that not a sign of a confident defender?

He is good on the ball, his passing is something we have lacked for years now. It was great to see him burst out of defence a few times running with the ball against Juve. Is that not a sign of a confident defender?

exactly, all the while he was strugglng I said it was just his confidence. He is playing regular now, getting confident ans it's showing. I have always thought he has all it takes to be CB at united, I really like him.

I'll be honest from what I've seen so far nothing to me screams he's going to be a Utd centre back and by Utd centre back I'm talking Bruce, Pallister, Stam, Vidic, Rio level of quality. Now he might reach the level of decent squad player like Brown, Berg, Silvestre, O'Shea, Evans, Smalling but I don't see him being a nailed on starter in a team that can challenge for titles.

The positive is at least he's starting to show signs of improvement and he still has time on his side to develop. Having a regular partner must be helping him as he's got Smalling alongside of him in every game currently now Smalling is what he is he won't really improve at his age but he's a competent centre back who annoyingly has the odd howler in him every now and again.

I'm a firm believer that centre backs have to be judged as partnerships. So much about defending is working with your team mate and whenever I think of great centre backs I always think of them in pairs. Terry & Carvalho, Rio & Vidic, Ramos & Pique, Chiellini & Bonucci etc you need to find two guys who really compliment each other and Utd just haven't had that.

It seems the manager has some faith in him as the likes of Jones, Rojo & Bailly are all fit now and he's not been tempted to bring any of them in despite the team letting in loads of goals.

I think you're right, he will be a squad player at Utd if we get 2 decent centre backs in. I can't see him being on par with the CB's of the past

I can :) I see a quality football playing CB. probably be wrong though..

To me I want to see the defender first before I then see the ball playing qualities to be a quality ball playing centre back you must be a quality defender first. This is the John Stones thing really for Stones to be considered a great defender he needs to be great at all the defensive qualities the fact he's so calm on the ball then becomes a bonus.

I also don't really see to much of the comfortable on the ball stuff when I watch him he's alright probably as good as anyone else we have but he's not pinging long balls into a six-pence or twisting and turning his way out of trouble he's just not treating the ball like a land mine every time it comes near him or looking awkward like Smalling does whenever he tries to pass the ball.

I don’t think he is fully confident yet, you see him at international level he is all that. I think the league was a shock to him. Maybe he won’t make it, but I think he could if he got his head right

Premier League: Manchester City 3-1 Manchester United - 11th November 2018

Poor for Aguero's goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back