VAR in prem 2019/2020

I think it’s time to be honest. Some of this weekends decisions were shocking. The ref asking the player if he took his shirt off when celebrating was just embarrassing. The moment of madness at Liverpool changes the game. A calamity in the Southampton game apparently (I haven’t seen it)

The Southampton one was two fold because Watford had a 100% pen turned down that would've seen Southampton down to 10 men and possibly score at 1-1. The Austin kick off about his goal was just an angry striker. As for the Liverpool one that was so marginal and Fulham were ruthlessly punished for switching off.

I think it's time and it worked ok at the world cup especially the first 2 group games where it wasn't very intrusive. It felt like after 2 games when the results really mattered the VAR operator started to bottle it a bit and send everything to the touchline for review.

It isn't a perfect system but it should help us be better and I still think it would be great if you could hear the refs communicating with each other like you can in Rugby/Cricket.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back