VAR 2019/20

Sideshow Bob

I’ve not seen the in incident from the Liverpool-Leicester game, but heard it was a bad decision?

It was soft rather than bad. I whichever way the ref saw it var would have upheld it. A bit like an umpire's call in cricket

Minor contact, Mane kicks the ball forward realises he’s kicked it to far and hits the deck it was a dive had his touch created a shooting angle he’d never have gone down but rules around contact are so minor now pens are easy to give.

As @boothstownred said whatever way the ref called it VAR wouldn’t change it but that is the issue with VAR they have not changed 1 subjective decision all season.

VAR just isn’t working the way it’s supposed to.

Is it just me or does VAR just seem so flimsy? Like you see the lines on the screen but it doesn’t seem consistent or an exact science. Do the lines get entered exactly when the ball leaves the passers foot or a micro second after which means for tight calls it could make the all the difference? I thought VAR was brought into eradicate the clear errors but that offside was by no means clear cut. There are so many slight variables in those incredibly tight calls.

Mentioned it in the Liverpool thread but VAR does take that enjoyment away. Why even celebrate anymore because you look like a douche bag if it’s chalked off.

It has a margin for error in it but they basically take the closest frame from where the foot makes contact with the ball to set the point where they then judge. There is a margin for error in this.

The VAR then draws the line as closely as possible to where the relevant body parts are then then technology adjusts the line to factor in the camera angle and make it 3D.

I just think the issue is they’re trying to be mm accurate with technology that can’t be mm accurate.

Also, the rule was made stricter to factor in the error in the human eye.

They’ve now decided that VAR doesn’t judge offside as a clear and obvious error they judge it as black and white so every goal has to be checked by the technology and as far as the league is concerned the technology is always right as it is consistent in giving the right call but it’s still programmed by a human being and where the line is drawn could be wrong so it isn’t perfect.

The issue for me is currently the technology takes to long to get to a final decision in close calls and it doesn’t really reflect the spirit of the law. They changed the handball law because of VAR my guess is they will now change the offside law as well as they aren’t going to get rid of VAR.

For me until the technology is good enough to give a quick accurate decision they should go back to judging the offside by eye and only ruling out clear and obvious errors which is what people were sold VAR as doing.

Another tightest of tight decisions in the Burnley/Villa game, when it’s that tight the rule should be in favour of the attacker surely? VAR in its current format is not good at all. And it took an absolute age!

Another tightest of tight decisions in the Burnley/Villa game, when it’s that tight the rule should be in favour of the attacker surely? VAR in its current format is not good at all. And it took an absolute age!

Thing is offside in the PL using the Hawkeye technology means no advantage you are either on or off.

The issue I have with that is time it takes way to long to work out if it was one or off especially when it is close.

I don’t think the technology is good enough yet to be used

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back