Van der Sar's exit sign

Status
Not open for further replies.
Suppose we are in transition. Players are reaching the end of their careers, and new players are coming through.

Edwin has been a great servant, a legend in my eyes. Some may say he hasn't been with the club long enough to be a legend.

considering we have 4 players approaching retirement and of them 3 are still vital to the team, i think we are very much in transition
also with Rio so injury prone, the defense does need a solid GK behind them. hope we don't have a repeat of the Schmiechel retirement!!

g@mb!t said:
considering we have 4 players approaching retirement and of them 3 are still vital to the team, i think we are very much in transition
also with Rio so injury prone, the defense does need a solid GK behind them. hope we don't have a repeat of the Schmiechel retirement!!

I expected transition last season but Im all 4 chalking this season up 2 transition. Get the young players in w/ some quality PL time not just Carling & go 4 whats needed in January window. I was glad when Rio came back but we really need 2 find his replacement. I think Smalling was a great buy & we need 2 field him more along in the season. TommyK has talked about possibly leaving, supposedly tired of waiting 4 VDS 2 retire but I don't see him as our #1 GK. But, if we can't get a quality GK in transfer then we'll have to make TommyK happy 4 now. Go cold turkey fielding Giggsy, Scholes & VDS in XI. It'll hurt but its time 2 move forward w/ new generation. We can't keep expecting talented youngsters 2 warm the bench. Its no longer realistic. I beleive this is the main reason behind Benzema & Ozil snubs.

Ed has been a great player for United. A lot of people don't realise the contribution he has made. He slotted straight into the team and has always been solid.

If United are aware this is going to be his last season then they need to get a class replacement ready for a smooth transition. In my opinion Kuszczak is a good keeper but not good enough to be United's long term number 1.

Excellent professional, spectacular goalkeeper. World class. Still don't understand how he ended up at Fulham after leaving Juventus. Already is one of the great goalkeepers in United's history.

I just hope the club don't waste much time finding a replacement as they wasted when Schmeichel left. Although there are more good options today.

sorry but i don't go along with "one of the greats" he's been good and was needed at the time and has adapted to uniteds way,to me he isn't really dominant in the box enough,i believe (old fogey) that a keeper should make the six yard area his,more today than ever as you only have to to breathe on them and they get a free kick,as (and the main point is) as S.E.A has mentioned he has never been pushed, all uniteds no2's have been no 2's so it has been relatively easy for him to stay in the side.been good but surely not great.............

I really think we'll get 2 keepers next summer. I think Lindegaard will come in and a top class keeper will come in. Might see a top class GK nearing the end of his career joining, to give Lindegaard the chance to adapt. Not sure who there is though who will be reasonably cheap, don't think Buffon or Casillas are suitable for the Prem and we don't know how much Lindegaard will cost.

Hard to say where I rate van der Sar. I would say Gregg was the best, but in his era... You see my argument is that players in their respective era's are good then, but possibly (no possibly about it with keepers) couldn't play in others, ie Gregg could not play nowadays the way he played (and had to) in the 50's/60's - he would have been sent off more times then not. Schmeics wouldn't have lasted in the 50's he'd have been bundled in the back of the net so it's raelly hard to say ..but i would go

1 Gregg
2 Schmeics (very close)
3 Stepney (he was a spiv)
4 Gaskell (steady and true)
5 Gary Bailey (if he hadn't have been injured for england could have been 3 or 4)
6 Wood (broke his neck in a cup final and still played on the wing)
7 van der Sar (coming to think about it, it's not bad being 7th behind those)
8 Barthez (love him or hate him he was a character)
9 Believe it or not Bosnich (good keeper, but should have never turned Fergie down the first time otherwise he could have been higher on the list)

That's just quick of top of my head. I know there's a certain Italian I've forgot... and Paddy Roche. I'll tell you something about Paddy in my blog that is/was interesting... He wasn't as bad as made out and i'll tell you why..

I would have loved to have seen Van Der Gouw get more games, would have been interesting to see how far he could have gone without someone like Schmeichel in his way. 37 games in 6 years.

VDS was indeed great 4 us & he has an excellent connection & relationship w/ our backline. That part will be hard 2 replace. We need some1 young but quality w/ height & agility. Manuel Neuer has spoken of possibly joining MUFC if offered. He's been on our radar 4 awhile but recently read we're making a move for him but I don't know about spending 20mil though.

agree about gouw but it was the amount of games in the amount of years....then again he would,to me still behind the ones mentioned

deviledspam said:
VDS was indeed great 4 us & he has an excellent connection & relationship w/ our backline. That part will be hard 2 replace. We need some1 young but quality w/ height & agility. Manuel Neuer has spoken of possibly joining MUFC if offered. He's been on our radar 4 awhile but recently read we're making a move for him but I don't know about spending 20mil though.

With Neuer's contract running out and Neuer stating that he doesn't think he'll sign another, I think we could get him cheaper, a lot cheaper. Schalke will be keen to make some money before they completely lost out and he goes for free.

Not suggesting Van Der Gouw should be in your top 10 mate. Just stating that he would have been up there had he played more regularly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back