Valencia to take over from Carrick as United club captain

Sideshow Bob

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Not really surprising longest serving player and a good pro.

My only worry is does he even speak English? Scratch that does he even speak? Ha!

The captain role for me isn’t that important anymore if you want to win you need leaders all over the pitch players who stand up to take responsibility.

Wouldn't be my choice, a captain who doesn't say anything. Herrera or De Gea for me.

Pretty sure Mourinho is adopting a longest serving player policy when it comes to captains hence why after Valencia he also named players like Smalling & Young. I know Herrera & Mata are the leaders amongst the Spanish speaking lads in the squad.

If I was picking one I’d just give it Matic because he’s in the team almost every game but then again same can be said for Valencia but on the pitch I don’t think it means much you just want players you can rely on they shouldn’t need someone giving them a kick up the backside.

The only thing a good captain can do on the pitch I think is get in the refs head during the game.

I disagree. A captain gets the team going, picks them up when it's not going on and leads by example eg Keqne with his takling, Romos with his goals etc. Younger players look up to the captain. Is Vaencia that??

I disagree. A captain gets the team going, picks them up when it's not going on and leads by example eg Keqne with his takling, Romos with his goals etc. Younger players look up to the captain. Is Vaencia that??

Both these players play in teams with fantastic players around them? Was it always Keane that stepped up or did Schmeichel, Stam, Becks, Scholes etc take over and step up at times. Great teams are normally teams that have 4 or 5 leaders in them. I think on the pitch the captaincy makes no difference as the captain can’t change anything the team plays to the tactics set by the manager and they won’t deviate from that. It’s not like cricket where the captain sets the field or changes the bowlers or gets a say in selection.

The captains role I think is off the pitch he’s the one who is the eyes and ears in the dressing room as the manager doesn’t go in the players dressing room. He’s the one who makes sure the players maintain high standards day to day in training, they set the example of what you should be doing every day and how you should conduct yourself. They’re the ones who pull you to one side if they spot there’s something not right with you or someone you should be able to trust with a problem you don’t want the manager to know about.

That’s why I think you see a lot of clubs who have captains that don’t always play these days because it’s about having a guy who sets standards off the pitch rather than on it.

Jose basically sais he doesn't really get the captains role apart from off field stuff. He expects all the players on the pitch to be like a captain.

PS Valencia injured, no RB for start of season

Well if that's what he expects on the pitch we are clearly not getting it! We definitely lack leadership. And creativity. And attacking football. And decent full backs. And wingers. And and and :(

On the pitch everyone has a job and he expects them to do it and he also expects everyone to remind the guy next to him of his job if he's not doing it that's how a top team functions it doesn't take one man to sort things out everyone needs to be aware and kick his mate up the backside if he's not doing the job.

I think the role of the captain(s) these days is to try and protect the core values of the clubs as managers change they need to make sure new players know the standards that are expected and the traditions of the club.

Jose basically sais he doesn't really get the captains role apart from off field stuff. He expects all the players on the pitch to be like a captain.

PS Valencia injured, no RB for start of season
Darmian will be here until the end of time so we are all good.

Also guess Tuanzebe or TFM can fill in for a game or two if Valencia isn’t fit.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back