Utd linked to Granqvist

Surely we can do better? The guy is 33 and will be 34 before the season is out. There is a reason why he has plying his trade in the Russian league in the last few years, he’s a middle of the road defender who is experienced but not much more.

If he came in for 6 months or 18 months 2 players need to go to make space we don't need 6 centre backs there should be 4 max especially if he's going to play centre mids at centre back.

He's a seasoned veteran and organises that Sweden team but it's riduculous if we've got to the point where we are considering him even as something short term.

Whether it's him or someone else, you can 100% guarantee we will get someone in January. Doesn't particularly matter if it's only a short term fix, we need an experienced head in there that will bark orders out

I think that would just reinforce the shambles that is Utd if they did that because it shows there's no plan and signing someone short term in January doesn't solve it. If the player we actually want is available in January then get him like Liverpool & City did last season with Van Dijk & Laporte we can't just keep adding more bodies this squad doesn't need more bodies it needs more high end quality.

I dont know, we do need someone super experienced to a grip of that back line.

We don't need someone experienced we need someone who's a world class centre back who is known for organising the defence at his club that can be someone who's 21 or 31 but if we bring someone in he needs to be the best centre back at the club.

Granqvist lack of speed would be massively exposed in this league with him in the team we wouldn't be able to push up at all whenever I see him play for Sweden he's basically defending the 18 yard line and heading away/blocking crosses.

Unless we can get a world class solution in January I don't see the point in a temporary solution.

I think that would just reinforce the shambles that is Utd if they did that because it shows there's no plan and signing someone short term in January doesn't solve it. If the player we actually want is available in January then get him like Liverpool & City did last season with Van Dijk & Laporte we can't just keep adding more bodies this squad doesn't need more bodies it needs more high end quality.

I disagree, anyone with experience would make a difference, even if it was from Jan to the end of the season. I'd even be tempted to buy 2 of them to play cb and cut losses with other cb's and push them out even if we have to cover wages until contracts expire. Drastic times call for drastic measures.

We don't need someone experienced we need someone who's a world class centre back who is known for organising the defence at his club that can be someone who's 21 or 31 but if we bring someone in he needs to be the best centre back at the club.

Granqvist lack of speed would be massively exposed in this league with him in the team we wouldn't be able to push up at all whenever I see him play for Sweden he's basically defending the 18 yard line and heading away/blocking crosses.

Unless we can get a world class solution in January I don't see the point in a temporary solution.

I don't think a 21 year old will be able to take control, even if they are brilliant. We need someone to boss everyone around. and you need experience for that.

Experience can only get you so far, Blanc came here in the Fergie reign and had all the experience in the world but he was at times a disaster. Sure the times have changed but the principles of defending remain the same and I think Granqvist would get exposed. Not saying he would do an awful job but we should be looking elsewhere and not for a short term fix.

I think you can reach a happy medium, bring in a younger guy but a younger guy who has already accumulated some experience.

Agreed. We need experience but not third rate experience. We have more than enough of that

Yeah exactly. Experience is fine but they really have to have been top drawer in the past and Granqvist really hasn’t. I can’t see it happening anyway, think it’s just one of those rumours.

Just spend £30m on Vertonghen and Call it a day. Isn’t difficult.

That's what my original post said, we need someone with experience who can take command and boss the defence, not necessarily this guy. What I said was I dont think we can write an idea like this off just because of age and it being short term.

Alderweireld would have been perfect, but Woodward blew it. The hardest job we have now is selling the future of the club to players.

I think Alderwireld may have come in Jan if we we're doing ok, no chance of that now. Can't see anyone wanting to come to this mess.

Money talks. It’s his last contract he can pick up 80k a week for Another 18 months or he can pick up £200k a week for the next 4 years

I don't think a 21 year old will be able to take control, even if they are brilliant. We need someone to boss everyone around. and you need experience for that.

If he's got experience from his club then he could 21 is an extreme case but if you are in the team and your mate tells you to do something you do it you have to work together and trust the information he gives you. It's not just telling your centre back or full back where to be it's telling the midfield getting them up. Some players can do that and lead from a young age most can't but it's not unheard of.

Money talks. It’s his last contract he can pick up 80k a week for Another 18 months or he can pick up £200k a week for the next 4 years

Got to be signing players who want to come for the right reasons fair enough he wants a pay rise but we need to make sure his motivation is also to win the league. Signed enough players who are chasing the money we need guys who also put success high on the agenda.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back