Utd apply for planning to upgrade Carrington

jsp

Top Poster Of Month
Club have submitted a planning application to the council to improve facilities at Carrington.

This includes new floodlighting, a permanent stand next to one of the pitches and other facilities being upgraded.

These plans will include full integration for the womens teams at Carrington to bring their facilities in line with those of the mens team.

Probably not gonna happen in my life-time, but love the club to build a 15/20,000 capacity stadium at Carrington for the Ladies/u21s/u18s to play at.

Feels like a big investment for a small return as it's unlikely to ever be filled for the youth teams but ideally within the next 20 years the womens game will be developed enough that potentially they could play games at Old Trafford.

Really the next big investment that needs to be made is what to actually do with the stadium because how much longer can it last in it's current form without falling behind our rivals.

It would probably have to be a multi-purpose venue partially funded by the training ground/kit sponsorship deal that's still up for grabs.

The location and transport links aren't ideal though.

There's not a lot you can do with Old Trafford, and it's always going to look outdated when compared with new-builds. It's fine, just take an extra raincoat, or swap your ticket in Monsoon season :D

That's the thing I don't think Utd want to be inviting big crowds into the inner sanctum of the training ground which as you say isn't really an easy place to get to you'd need huge car parks of people and I imagine it would never get through planning. Think partnering with local teams to use their grounds makes a bit more sense as it gives those clubs a bit more revenue as well.

Utd own a lot of the land around the ground reality is it's a knock it down and start again solution which means moving out for a few seasons which is tricky in itself or is there enough space to build next door on all the car parks then demolish the old ground once the new one is ready.

However they look to do it now it will be very expensive and it feels like it's a long way away.

That's the thing I don't think Utd want to be inviting big crowds into the inner sanctum of the training ground which as you say isn't really an easy place to get to you'd need huge car parks of people and I imagine it would never get through planning. Think partnering with local teams to use their grounds makes a bit more sense as it gives those clubs a bit more revenue as well.

Utd own a lot of the land around the ground reality is it's a knock it down and start again solution which means moving out for a few seasons which is tricky in itself or is there enough space to build next door on all the car parks then demolish the old ground once the new one is ready.

However they look to do it now it will be very expensive and it feels like it's a long way away.

Promised I'd never be envious of City when they won the lottery a thousands times over but guess i've fallen into the well City have got a stadium for their Elite Development squad so maybe it was time we had one for our mere Reserve and Academy sides as well.

The Leigh Sports Village stadium is fine for now, but by all accounts can be a nightmare to get to.

The club would need to get special dispensation from the Premier League and other relevant organisations to play elsewhere if we were to do a complete rebuild on the current site, we could even push our luck and see if we could rotate 'home' matches @Wembley, @Principality Stadium, @Celtic Park @Croke Park/Aviva Stadium safe in the knowledge that every match would be a sell-out.

Don't know how accurate the image of land owned by the club was when it was first taken, and if it is different now, it's just a shame United, and it would be some feat of engineering, could just not pick the stadium up as it is now, move it away from the railway line and to the left, then build the Sir Bobby Charlton stand to match the Sir Alex Ferguson stand, fill in the two quadrants and we'd be sorted for the next 100 years
. :D

United-land.jpg

They might even own a few of the houses on the other side of the railway on railway road as well I know at some point they were buying them up.

Modern engineering means the railway is no longer a problem for improving the south stand just makes it more expensive than it would be.

I think the issue is the ground was built for the 90's standards and it hasn't really improved since then really the whole thing needs renovating and bought into this century. Utd's ground is a bit like a make it up as you go along lego model with different parts from different eras.

The moving out bit would be very tricky for the club to negotiate not exactly friendly with the neighbours are we and Wembley will be great for the fans who travel in from all over to watch games it'll be awful for the locals who still make up the majority of the crowd. Are the club going to subsidise your travel all season to get to and from London on trains/coaches?

We just did a job about 1m away from a railway, there are few hoops to get through contract wise. But engineering wise it's no bother.

Looking a that, there is enough room to build a stadium while leaving the old one standing. But for me, I'd much rather keep Old Trafford and redevelop it.

Yeah guess it depends on what the land is currently used for as I guess they lease a lot of it out so how easy would it be to end those leases to move businesses out and also what sort of condition it is in to build in as the new stadium would need to be sunk into the ground. Given it's previous use there's a high chance the ground around there is contaminated.

To me building from scratch next door is the obvious answer will still be Old Trafford there's just to many hurdles to get around with that existing ground.

I don't think it's something that needs to start now but the club should certainly be looking at feasability studies for it in the medium term.

Daily Mail reporting Utd will be looking into looking into feasability options for stadium improvements and expansion including the best way to redevelop the south stand as part of the refurb after the upgrade works at Carrington are sorted.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back