United sign Odion Ighalo

We needed a striker so that we can develop Greenwood properly. We need to be able to remove the pressure from him and be able to dip him in and out of the first team.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I find it both amusing and desperate. But I would be willing to have a £1 bet with anyone per goal between him and Martial. I reckon Ighalo wins between now and the end of the season. He’s not has talented but he’s willing to mix it to thrive.

I find it both amusing and desperate. But I would be willing to have a £1 bet with anyone per goal between him and Martial. I reckon Ighalo wins between now and the end of the season. He’s not has talented but he’s willing to mix it to thrive.
Wasn't a bad player in his first season when Watford went up but second season not so good. I can't see him scoring more than martial I'll take the bet

Wasn't a bad player in his first season when Watford went up but second season not so good. I can't see him scoring more than martial I'll take the bet

It’s on! All comps between now and the end of the season. Hopefully it’s like 18-15 and we get loads of goals out of them! Haha.

I doubt he's going to play much. Might start in the FA Cup? But I doubt even that. He'll play 20 minutes here and there.

I think he’ll probably play through the middle most the season now. Martial to the left and James to the right.

It’s a gamble no doubt about that but Utd needed a short term fix it really is a case of any striker is better than no striker.

It’s a loan deal if it doesn’t work we send him back if it does work maybe you keep him around but a top class centre forward is required in the summer.

It’s papering over the cracks but what else can we do.

Haaland was obviously the first choice he decided to go elsewhere so plan B in January was always going to be a gamble the real question is who’s the new plan A for the summer? Will they go for a guy like Werner from Germany? Seems to be the best option who might be on the market as he has a release clause but Utd won’t be the only club in the market Liverpool apparently interested but he wouldn’t start for them. Do they go for Jimenez from Wolves which would be very expensive? The search you’d hope is already well underway.

We say yesterday the attack needs a boost we need some options who we can bring off the bench with a bit of proven quality. Looked a good player at Watford you wouldn’t bet your house on him scoring every time but he’s a striker who seems to get into the right places to get goals and Utd need a guy like that.

Am I buzzing about it? No but I’m glad they’ve took a chance and got someone a gamble was required in these circumstances.

3-3 on the game now.

I’m not getting carried away here but if we blew our budget on say sancho , Maddison or Grealish , would anyone Be happy to take him for 12 months to be backup to Rashford up front ? Until we get the striker we want ?I know it’s against derby and maybe time will tell.

Should the signing be made permanent?
Haven't seen enough of him to say just yet. I think we can wait a couple months and see if he's been lucky so far or has a real contribution to make to the side. I love his attitude. He seems to be a popular figure among the team. If he's not going to get the hump about not being first choice, then he seems like a great back up striker. I wouldn't want signing him to derail signing someone like Haland. We need an Ole Mk. II, someone who comes in and does a job, a natural finisher, and how doesn't mind not starting. If that is Ighalo, welcome aboard!

The way he's played so far I think United may look to sign him permanently. He's a back up striker with experience and he's showing he can score goals. It would allow United to go after other big deals whilst knowing they have a potentially reliable experienced back up striker.

The way he's played so far I think United may look to sign him permanently. He's a back up striker with experience and he's showing he can score goals. It would allow United to go after other big deals whilst knowing they have a potentially reliable experienced back up striker.
I read he’s on 300K/week in China and has 2 years to run on his contract. Even if he takes a 50% pay cut that’s still top dollar for someone who might be a 3rd or 4th choice. Seems a bit much when you could get an Aubameyang for less

You wont be getting Aubamayang for less than that. He'll be on about 350k on his next contract.

Uou can probably get him on a free as China want rid of the high earners but his wages will be a problem unless he's prepared to take a big cut to stay at Utd. Not sure if they actually agreed anything in the end as part of the loan deal they were discussion the terms on the option to buy after the loan deal went through apparently as it was done so last minute.

Probably something I'd look at in May rather than make a call on it now there's no rush even if he had offers from other clubs we know he loves Utd so he'd probably wait around to hear from us.

Personally I'd say no I want Utd to sign a proper ready made number 9 in the summer to compete for the starting spot with Martial and have Greenwood around them as the 3rd option for centre forward but also getting plenty of games off the right of the front 3.

I see Ighalo is a short term fix that needs to remain as a short term fix we'd never have considered signing him in the summer if it wasn't for the desperate need in January so I don't really see why that should change the plan. If it gets to the end of August and we haven't secured who we want maybe you bring him back for another season but for now I think he's doing the job we need him to do for the next few months.

You wont be getting Aubamayang for less than that. He'll be on about 350k on his next contract.
Who is going to sign a 32 year-old for that much? He is on £200K/week right now, so my guess was off, but that's why I wrote "an Aubameyang" instead of just "Aubameyang", as in, you could get someone like him; when he joined Arsenal he was on £90K/week.

I read he’s on 300K/week in China and has 2 years to run on his contract. Even if he takes a 50% pay cut that’s still top dollar for someone who might be a 3rd or 4th choice. Seems a bit much when you could get an Aubameyang for less
Yes, and at 30yrs he is likely to want to max his earnings for the rest of his playing days, regardless of the fact that he reportedly took a cut for his loan period. My best guess is he will be back in China next season having fulfilled his dream of playing for the team he supported as a boy having done a decent job and enough to be remembered fondly.

I see Ighalo is a short term fix that needs to remain as a short term fix we'd never have considered signing him in the summer if it wasn't for the desperate need in January so I don't really see why that should change the plan. If it gets to the end of August and we haven't secured who we want maybe you bring him back for another season but for now I think he's doing the job we need him to do for the next few months.
This

Who is going to sign a 32 year-old for that much? He is on £200K/week right now, so my guess was off, but that's why I wrote "an Aubameyang" instead of just "Aubameyang", as in, you could get someone like him; when he joined Arsenal he was on £90K/week.
He's 30

He's proving useful so far, if he carries on I see no reason to look elsewhere.

I do see us going large for Kane though.

Kane and Sancho

If you buy a striker you buy one better than Martial otherwise what is the point?

He looks miles off the required fitness level at the moment as well.

Anyone for Harry Kane? Seriously, it’s looking more possible.

Got my concerns not saying he's going down the Sanchez spiral but I'd say injuries are starting to become a regular problem and he doesn't look like the player he was from 2014-18. I think he's a player who looks like he's played through to many injuries and it means he'll always be managing pain like Rooney was.

Spurs will be asking crazy money he turns 27 this summer so you could argue his peak years are behind him if he was to stay injury free you could get 5 more good years out of him but I think it would be a big gamble as you're talking £150m fee plus huge wages etc and the injury record would make me nervous. He's 27 you should be confident of getting 3 very good seasons from him. You basically have to accept that whatever you commit in transfer fee and wages is written off as you've got no chance of selling him on again and getting it back.

I think as a pure number 9 goal scorer only Lewendowski is better in world football in the Fergie days I think he's a guy who if you have the chance to get him you get him where we are now I think that still applies.

I don't think he's a player who's game will decline massively with age as his physical attributes aren't what make him brilliant the only worry I'd have is at his very best he's very intense with his running if he has to start looking after his legs you lose that edge which I think is what makes a player like him great. He puts you under pressure and forces mistakes.

Got my concerns not saying he's going down the Sanchez spiral but I'd say injuries are starting to become a regular problem and he doesn't look like the player he was from 2014-18. I think he's a player who looks like he's played through to many injuries and it means he'll always be managing pain like Rooney was.

Spurs will be asking crazy money he turns 27 this summer so you could argue his peak years are behind him if he was to stay injury free you could get 5 more good years out of him but I think it would be a big gamble as you're talking £150m fee plus huge wages etc and the injury record would make me nervous. He's 27 you should be confident of getting 3 very good seasons from him. You basically have to accept that whatever you commit in transfer fee and wages is written off as you've got no chance of selling him on again and getting it back.

I think as a pure number 9 goal scorer only Lewendowski is better in world football in the Fergie days I think he's a guy who if you have the chance to get him you get him where we are now I think that still applies.

I don't think he's a player who's game will decline massively with age as his physical attributes aren't what make him brilliant the only worry I'd have is at his very best he's very intense with his running if he has to start looking after his legs you lose that edge which I think is what makes a player like him great. He puts you under pressure and forces mistakes.
I do agree with you , Martial is doing a good job at the moment but if we want to be at the top of the table I think we need someone to score goals a proper goal scorer and they are like gold dust.

I wouldn’t go near Kane. He hasn’t been fit since the start of 2018.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back