United sign Fred

Sideshow Bob

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Sounds like Pogba will be deployed as more of an attacking midfielder or the furthest forward midfielder of the 3 next season. And Fred will play a box to box role that Herrera and Pogba have both struggled to really do. Herrera did it better but maybe Fred is an upgrade on him. I'd like to see Herrera play backup to Matic who probably played far too much last season, and it sounds like he played a lot with niggling injuries.

Mourinho's best midfield 3 at Chelsea was Makalele, Essien and Lampard. Pogba showed in 2nd half v City that he can play that Lampard role. I've seen Fred compared to Essien but is more of a dribbler than Essien.

Well based on the limited footage and reports I've read it sounds like a good signing. The kind of midfield player we needed who can do a bit of everything and hopefully free Pogba up to be at his best. Pogba does operate best in a midfield 3 as the one who can roam so let's see if this brings out the best in him.

Against the lower teams I'd love to see Pogba, Fred and Herrera as a 3. It would be a very tenacious, attacking midfield.

it does sound like a great signing, I just hope we (fans) give him a chance and don't write him off after 5 mins like Lindeloff. It sounds like he is work in progress.

To be fair mate Lindelof has had a full season and looks nowhere near a commanding League/Champions League challenging defender imo, we sold him now I don't think one top club would be in for him.

Re Fred, fans will give him time, I personally think he will adapt pretty quickly, excited by this transfer really am, looking forward to seeing him in the World Cup.

I think the worlds changed you don't get the time to settle in now you've got to hit the ground running and the way players are looked after and move around now there isn't much of an excuse.

I mean it can take a few weeks to work things out with new team mates and tactics but the very best players adapt to these things quickly.

I just hope that next season we see a settled team if the 3 is Fred, Matic & Pogba then there's no reason to not play that team through the first 4 or 5 games the only reason to change it should be injury or if someone got sent off.

Our first choice players need to be comfortable playing twice a week obviously you will get times where someone needs a rest but really we should be getting some consistency in first team selection going forward.

Lindeloff hasn't had a full season, Jose didn't play him for ages, then he's been in and out. He's not had fair go at all and every slags him of like he's a waste of money already.

I'm saying, I hope that doesn't happen to another promising player who is joining. I hope the fans get off this need for instant success and let players and the team grow.

I'm glad those people weren't around when Vidic and Evra arrived because they were way worse in their first half season. I'm not sure they exactly started the next season superbly either.

Do you not think there is a reason he has not been playing mate? It's not like he has been pulling up trees in training and then just not being selected, he has obviously not been showing enough in training to warrant a starting place or even a place in the squad most of the time. It is pretty obvious that he has not reached the heights that Jose expected.

Mate comparing Vida and Evra is ridiculous, they came into the league in January from other countries, took 6 months to settle in, after a good pre season and time with the side they were superb from then on.

Lindelof has had a full pre season and a full season at the club, he was bought in June last year, so that is a full season at Man United, is it our fault that he has not been picked as he has not been good enough?

Here's a question for you, given the choice, would you prefer Lindelof to be given a shot next year, starting every week alongside Bailly or do you want United to buy say Alderweireld and keep Lindelof where he is at the moment, as back up?

Sanchez has been pretty shocking but he arrived in January so judgement on him will be this time next year when he has had a full pre season and a full season at us.

I want us buy Varane, but that's another story. I would have Bailly, Lindeloff, Rojo and Varane as my 4 CB's.

The point I'm trying to make is, lets say Fred does come in and struggle, can't get to grips with the pace of the prem or whatever. I hope we don't just write him off like other we have done with Lindeloff, and we give him a chance.

Lindelof I think was looking better with every game he played (obviously set the bar pretty low) and the bully boy tactics used on him weren't as effective but when it comes to the business end of the season the manager wasn't really taking any risks so he tended to go with the tried and trusted. I think there's a good player but my worry is he's just not quite quick enough and strong enough to survive in the premier league because of the way teams look to attack us. Unless he solves that problem he has with the long ball he's got a problem.

I don't think you can really prove anything in training anymore because of the number of games the team play the training sessions are all based on recovery sessions to keep the players fit then specific tactical work for the next game, it's in the games where you've got to show it.

There's obviously something there, it was the same with Miki which ended up being bang on, wasn't getting in the squad, couldn't adapt or whatever and it didn't work out, I hope I'm wrong and Lindelof does become a solid class centre half for us but my opinion, which means sod all lol I just can't see it, I just don't think he is very good.

I'm not getting on Lindelof's case or anything, not demanding he gets sold etc. I just can't see him being anything other than back up to play in the easier home games where he hopefully won't have to much to do.

Jose must be seeing something behind closed doors to warrant hardly playing him.

The tried and trusted? Jones and Smalling lol

it does sound like a great signing, I just hope we (fans) give him a chance and don't write him off after 5 mins like Lindeloff. It sounds like he is work in progress.

Fred is 25 I believe, he should be progressing to nearing his very best not a work in progress! He really needs to be settling in and hitting the ground running, we can't afford another Pogba on our hands. I actually think he will settle in quickly and do the job for us. Really looking forward to seeing what he's got in his locker. I also think, as he can play the Pogba role, it will make Pogba pull his socks up as he wont want Fred outshining him. We could have the makings of an outstanding midfield here. Just need to replace Matic now haha. We missed the boat with Fabinho on that one

Everything i've heard about Fred suggests he's not a work in progress, he's a very good player who can become a great player. He's a Brazilian that can settle in Ukraine, i'm sure he won't need much time, if he does it'll be because of a late return to the club from the World Cup. The good thing currently is that he's not a starter in the Brazil team at the moment but it sounds like the Brazil midfield 3 the other day was pretty poor and a little samey and Fred would provide something more offensive than Fernandinho, Paulinho and Casemiro so that could change after a group game or 2. Dare I say it, he could have a Kleberson impact on their World Cup.

I think it is was Rivaldo who said he was work in progress, which is basically what you are saying too, good but can be great.

The good news he's not coming straight from South American so you'd hope he will adjust to life in Manchester easily I know it can be a bit grim but his previous club had to move to Kiev to escape a warzone.

From everything you read about him he just seems the complete midfield players he sounds like a better version of Herrera which is what I wanted us to target not because I don't like Herrera just think we needed to buy better than what we have.

I think it is was Rivaldo who said he was work in progress, which is basically what you are saying too, good but can be great.

Well in that case a lot of players are a "work in progress". I suppose it depends what your definition of that is. Work in progress to me is a Rashford, Martial and it sounds like Fred was there a couple of years ago when he was playing a defensive midfield role but has become a very good all rounder. I said it seems like he's a VERY good player that can be great, he can become great by playing with better players and in a better league. It's hard to know if a player is great in the Ukrainian league.

Having never seen him play, I can't be sure where he is in his ability though, he may well be a "work in progress" but from what i've read of those that have seen him play he is not what I would consider a work in progress.

Has Fred actually been confirmed as a Utd player yet? An agreement reached with Shaktar isn't the same as deal done.

Think it's all done just requires a work permit which is a formality so the contracts can all be signed.

Injured his ankle in training yesterday following a tackle from Casemiro.

I would assume early next week I don't think work permits take that long to sort out as he's a regular international for a top international side so he ticks all the boxes.

My guess is all the social media interviews and promo stuff has been done and recorded once the paperwork is signed off they'll put it all out.

Brazil probably leave London for Brazil in the next day or two so I'd be surprised if it wasn't all official before the world cup starts.

Fred's confirmed on his Instagram story that he's a United player now. So don't need to worry about it falling through!

It'll be confirmed after the World Cup, hasn't had time to do all the mumbo jumbo that new signings usually do these days. Brazil probably hesitant to even allow him to leave camp the other day, if they hadn't been down the road in Liverpool it wouldn't have happened.

I can't remember seeing fred play before tbh. Just watched some clips on you tube and have a small concern. I hadn't realised he is left footed. That means we will have him and matic both left footed and pogba who likes to play on the left of centre. Maybe a 4 man midfield in a diamond might work.

Work permit seems to have taken a long time which is strange for a guy who's a regular international for Brazil.

I can't remember seeing fred play before tbh. Just watched some clips on you tube and have a small concern. I hadn't realised he is left footed. That means we will have him and matic both left footed and pogba who likes to play on the left of centre. Maybe a 4 man midfield in a diamond might work.

Been talking about 4-4-2 diamond for a while. Can't see it though. I've read Fred is excellent with both feet by the way, prefers his left as natural but good with both apparently.

Just read this...
Fred has a made a total of 101 appearances for Shakhtar scoring 10 goals. Also, from 2014-2018 he has contributed to 8 assists. For the Brazil national team, Fred has made 11 appearances scoring zero goals.

Safe to say he won't be scoring too many!

I'm going all out on Fred like most, I have my doubts. Hope he blazes it though. I think he woul dbe my back up and I would sign a quality midfielder.

I think he will be a very similar player to Herrera, tough, tenacious and puts himself about a bit. Is he an upgrade on Herrera though?

I did read somewhere he got a ban for performace drugs, but it was overturned. Dont know the facts.

So far, Fred has not played at all for Brazil at this world cup. Does that not make any of you wonder?

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back