United sign Diogo Dalot

Sideshow Bob

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I know youtube performances are frowned upon but you can pick up on things from them. Usually a RB but in this game he played as a LB, looks quite comfortable on his left foot, Liverpool were the dominant team and he seems to cope with the threat down that side from Allexander-Arnold and Salah.

Very impressed by his English in MUTV interview, wasn't expecting him to know any English so that was a pleasant surprise. Knows more than our captain that has been in the country for 10+ years. haha. I think it's possible we see a lot more of him in the coming season than expected. I'd expect Valencia to play all the games until the Champions League starts but when the midweek games come about I think we'll give him a go and if he does well, he'll keep getting chances.

We lack players coming through at full back, people keep talking about Fosu-Mensah but he's not a genuine full back. It's got nothing to do with him being dropped from the Palace side in the back end of the season. He played nearly every game until he had to be left out against us, they had to give their youngster a chance instead of him because of that and he did well so they chose to stick with him for the next 10 games knowing Fosu-Mensah would not be with them in the following season so why give him the games over their own when they were pretty much safe. TFM had a fine season there, performing very well against City and a number of other games. He started the season there under De Boer playing in a back 3 but like Phil Jones and many other young CB's was played at RB when Hodgson came in and like Jones and others, he's not a RB and if he's good enough will be a CB in the future.

The language is a massive bonus but I guess growing up in Portugal he'll have had a decent education and likely that they teach English from a young age in Portugal, you tend to find that young footballers coming from European nations normally adapt quite quickly with the language it's more South American players who struggle to take it on.

I based this on nothing but how the kids looks in a football shirt but to me he look like he'll be a good player, abolutely no logic to it but he looks like a footballer.

Fosu-Mensah had a tough year at Palace he came straight into the team under De Boer playing in a back 3 then lost his spot and struggled to get it back had a decent run at right back and the fans seemed to like him but he never really felt like he'd nailed down that starting spot. Most of his youth team football was played in the centre of the pitch either midfield of defence it's only since he got the break in the first team that he was used as a full back so he was probably learning on the job a bit in the games he played but he's so quick & strong that he could normally recover for any mistake he made. By the looks of things another loan move beckons for young Tim but it might be good for him to go and get another 30-40 games somewhere next season then come back to really compete with Dalot for that right back spot.

Disagree that he had a tough year. Manager change didn't help but he was a regular under both for the majority of the season and the crucial parts of their season which saw them turn around a horrific start. Only Welbeck has played as much out on loan at another Prem club and he played the full season (both made 28 appearances). He played 90 minutes 17 times. 8 out of 9 full 90 games before we played them which is when he lost his place due to being ineligible and then for some reason he didn't feature again and I can only think that they didn't feel it was in their best interests to play him while players that are going to be with them next season are on the bench or not in the squad, he wasn't even on the bench most weeks. They were safe, he'd done his job and I think they just went with their own. We don't know why he missed those last 9 games but that's what I think. I don't think it was down to performance as reports on that front were positive, perhaps he was injured or perhaps there was something behind the scenes.

Yet they still played Loftus Cheek when he came back from injury despite them being safe? Probably because they were hoping to keep him next season either by buying him or getting him on loan again if Chelsea were to let him out.

I think it was a tough year as he went there to prove to Mourinho he's good enough to play for Utd and despite making 28 appearences it's still hard to say because despite two good runs in the team where reports were of him doing ok he still lost his place twice.

It was disappointing that he went there as a CB and was doing really well in a poorly performing team and the managerial change stopped that and we've seen players go out on loan, a managerial change happens and he doesn't play again all season but still he came back as a RB. I don't think he did lose his place twice either did he? It was only after our game in March he was left out for successive games apart from when he was injured in December.

I maintain he had a good season in difficult situations. He's not a right back. He's 20 and earned valuable playing time and experience and done very well in a lot of the games he played. He should go out on loan again next season and hopefully have a full season as a CB somewhere whether abroad if necessary to guarantee that or in England ideally.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back