United hold talks with Mourinho over contract extension

Sideshow Bob

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

So many mixed reports coming out in various papers today it’s like the whole industry has decided to do a Jose piece today which means someone somewhere is talking.

Some say he’s preparing to leave and Utd are worried that he hasn’t moved to Manchester and spends to much time travelling to London and back, others saying he’s at logger heads with the board over transfers, others saying the owners aren’t happy at him criticising the resources he’s been given to buy players, others saying the club feel he’s become very distant with his players and only really talks to his inner circle of coaches.

Sounds to me this is his latest attempt at sorting a new deal and the reason it’s happening now is we won our last game and he also wants money for January spending.

I think if he’s getting a new deal then we want some commitment from him he needs to relocate to Manchester full time and give it his full focus the players all do it so why can’t he especially when he’s being paid £15m a year.

The news about the board being unhappy with his comments I hope are nonsense. Because if you actually read the whole conversation and not the snippets the press print what he actually said was it's different for a club like city, they can spend 90m and if it doesn't work they can write it off and just go and buy someone else. Whereas although there is money at united, you have to spend it wisely. That's not slagging the board, that's facts. Jose always comes out with stuff like this when his sides are struggling to deflect attention. It's standard Jose, it just doesn't work to the same degree at united because we are big news.

I think he does need to actually move though, I know his children are studying in London and don't want to move but he could buy a pad. Living in a hotel does seem rather temporary. Perhaps some players pick up on that.

The issue the board have was more apparently his suggestion than he can’t compete because of money when he’s had more money in 2 summers than we’ve ever spent previously. The full story behind that was the club are ok with him creating any narrative he wants in the press with one exception you don’t go against the board, basically don’t bite the hand that feeds you. You can blame anyone you want for a loss apart from the owners the club would be very sensitive to that as we unlike other clubs he’s managed have shareholders.

There were rumours that him and his wife are having problems so she doesn’t want to move, neither of the children live in the family home as they’re now grown up, so he decided to take permanent residence at a hotel rather than rent a house or flat. I imagine his hotel setup is more like an apartment arrangement than a standard room but it can’t feel very homely and probably means that he feels very closed off and not settled.

I think he will get a new deal but I don’t like the way he goes about it.

Typical Jose, leaves a bad taste... I wish he would be just a normal manager and say normal things and not talk crap constantly.

I don't think living in the hotel is too bad, it's United's hotel base for matches after all. He gets cooked for, his room cleaned etc and I bet his room/apartment is bigger than my house.

I can't say I'd be too fussed if he left at the end of this year or next. He has bought stability but we're not playing great football, as is the Jose way.

What's he done exactly. I haven't seen him do anything out of order, there is a lot of 2 + 2 = 5 going on here.

The story about the money was misrepresented as I said earlier.

To be honest, I would rather a different manager, but we can't keep changing managers after 2 years. We need to give a manager time to get rid of the players he doesn't want and bring in the ones he does. Or you are forever fire fighting. We should have gone for Poch instead of Jose but the board clearly wanted the guarantee's you kind of get with Jose. And to be honest he's bought a level of success in trophies and we are second in the league behind a phenomenon.

I just listened to the Scholes interview, and Hargreaves made some good points. The players need to stand up and be counted, it's not all the manager. There is no one on that pitch to give direction.

Historically, Jose only parks the bus in the big matches, the semi finals, the derby's. Something is not right on the pitch and he needs to be given the time to get his players. It comes to something when we are defending the Glazers over the manager :)

If I had the choice of get rid of manager or get rid or owner it would the Glazers I'd like to see go.

Yeah I don't jump on board with the Jose Out brigade, you can't want a manager out after he wins two trophies in the first year and gets you into the knockout stages of the champions league and takes us form 6th to 2nd in 6 months.

I'm not a Jose fan, hated him at Chelsea, not a fan of him now but for me at the moment he is a means to an end, he has stabled the club, give him another window or two he would hopefully have gotten rid of the deadwood and brought in another 3 or 4 top class players and then when he does depart, probably at the end of next season i would guess, we should be in a very good place as a club to appoint maybe Poc or "Give it Giggsy till end of season" and go from there.

At the moment I think Jose is what we need but he is only here to do a job, I don't think United fans have taken him to their hearts and I doubt he expected them to, I'm not a fan but at the minute he is a necessity.

hahaha :cool:

I can't understand why Giggsy hasn't been at a League 1 or Championship side for a season or 2. How can anyone, a playing legend or not, expect to walk into one of footballs top jobs after spending a short time as an assistant to a manager who didn't do particularly well. Zidane aside, it's just not gonna happen. A job like Forest would be a good start for him. I'd be worried sick if he became Utd manager.

hahaha :cool:

I can't understand why Giggsy hasn't been at a League 1 or Championship side for a season or 2. How can anyone, a playing legend or not, expect to walk into one of footballs top jobs after spending a short time as an assistant to a manager who didn't do particularly well. Zidane aside, it's just not gonna happen. A job like Forest would be a good start for him. I'd be worried sick if he became Utd manager.

Probably because he has 0 knowledge of football at that level having played his entire career in the top division. I don’t think he feels his skills or personality would suit the lower leagues his name brings a lot of attention and focus at that level whereas in the PL he might actually get more time.

Taking over Stoke mid season in a relegation fight would be mental he’s probably better off taking the Wales job then waiting to see how the football scene looks in a few years time. Taking over Stoke in the summer might be more interesting if Hughes did keep them up.

As for Jose he does it all the time leaks a load of stuff in the press when the teams winning to flex his muscles, where were all these stories when the team was drawing? It seems obvious to me he’s trying to force the clubs hand either new dealer he walks in the summer. I think we are in so deep with him now it’s probably time to stick rather than twist give him a 2 year extension but make the contract incentivised.

I’d encourage him to move into a house and offer to pay for his family to travel up to stay with him in Manchester during the season rather than him always going back to them. You never know they might even like it in Manchester it’s not like the sun always shines in West London.

there you go, noo speculation and putting 2+2

straight from the horses mouth

"If you want to ask me directly, which I suppose you want (to), if I see myself next season in Manchester United, I say I see myself (here). And, as I told when I arrived, I'm going to leave when the club wants me to leave, because I have no intention to leave at all."

Asked whether he saw himself remaining at United beyond three seasons, he replied: "Yes, I see myself here (after three years), it's just a question of the club, the board the owners, Mr (Ed) Woodward, they are all happy with my contribution and they want me to stay beyond the end of this contract, but I want to stay."

“I think the worst thing somebody can do to me is to put one inch of doubt in my professionalism, in my dedication to my club, to my job, to my players, to every detail related to my job. “So, yes, the garbage news affected me just on this aspect but again I repeat, I am in the middle of my contract. If I am going to sign a new one or not, of course depends on the club. But my commitment with the club is total.”

there you go, noo speculation and putting 2+2

straight from the horses mouth

"If you want to ask me directly, which I suppose you want (to), if I see myself next season in Manchester United, I say I see myself (here). And, as I told when I arrived, I'm going to leave when the club wants me to leave, because I have no intention to leave at all."

Asked whether he saw himself remaining at United beyond three seasons, he replied: "Yes, I see myself here (after three years), it's just a question of the club, the board the owners, Mr (Ed) Woodward, they are all happy with my contribution and they want me to stay beyond the end of this contract, but I want to stay."

“I think the worst thing somebody can do to me is to put one inch of doubt in my professionalism, in my dedication to my club, to my job, to my players, to every detail related to my job. “So, yes, the garbage news affected me just on this aspect but again I repeat, I am in the middle of my contract. If I am going to sign a new one or not, of course depends on the club. But my commitment with the club is total.”

Leak loads of stories then come out and deny everything saying you want to stay hope the fans lap it all up and force the club to give you a new deal

The second paragraph is the key one here firmly putting the ball in the clubs court saying give me a new deal.

he can't win can he. You have no substance he's feeding the papers. Of course he wants to stay, he said that when he arrived, he said it all along he wants to stay long term. What's he meant to say when asked a direct question.

Why so horribly cynical JSP?

There’s a pattern to this every time with Mourinho and there’s a logic to it because it works.

Whenever he starts looking for a new contract (normally when his current deal is under 2 years) all sorts of stories start coming out and it’s happening again. He’s been talking about a new deal for 12 months now he’s only 1/2 way through the current one. He knows what he’s like and eventually clubs get sick of him and sack him so he looks to make sure that when that happens he’s getting a huge payoff.

I’m pretty sure that in the 3 jobs he’s been sacked in at Chelsea, Madrid & Chelsea the whole thing unravelled within 12 months of him signing a contract extension. Him and his agent are clever they know how to play the system Ronaldo signs a new contract every 12-18 months and has done since about 2007.

Maybe he’s changed and as he claims he’s more mature but he said that second time around at Chelsea then suddenly boom it all erupts.

In one day we had multiple journalists writing conflicting stories after a game Utd won and before the managers next press conference, they haven’t all got together and decided to write a similar theme story someone somewhere has given them something.

This is classic Mourinho/Mendes tactics to try and sort a new contract by view is his new deal should be sorted in the summer if he gets us top 3 then it’s basically automatic but if Utd don’t make top 4 then Utd have to decide if they want to continue down this road?

But that is just opinion. Not based on facts. Most contracts are updated when there is a year left, this is just normal. I think it's a little unfair to assume it's him leaking stories. If it's classic Mendes why has he never adopted this with De Gea or any of his other clients. It's only Ronaldo that gets a new deal and to be fair that's because he's superb and other clubs want him all the time. Messi gets a new deal every 5 mins too.

If he is asked about contract talks it's only right he should answer it. It's been evident even from his Chelsea days united are a club he admires. I think he wants this job long term and I think he is building a squad here unlike he did at other clubs. I do believe he is looking at this long term.

I think we should just give him a break, alright his brand of football isn't great. But he's done nothing against the club and is clearly trying hard to improve the side.

Yeah of course it’s an opinion it’s a forum I’m not a journalist for the BBC I just don’t like the way this happens, contract talk seems to rear it’s head every time we get a decent result and I can’t help but feel there’s a reason for that. You don’t go and ask the boss for a pay rise if you’re a salesman who’s had a bad week you go after a good week.

I think he admired Ferguson I’m not sure he admired the club and let’s face reality we are one of maybe 10 clubs in the world who can afford his salary and after when he came we were the only job available to him apart from maybe PSG.

I think we should give him a new deal I see no point changing it up again and starting down another new road especially when I really don’t see a better more qualified option out there.

I’m very cynical about Mourinho and I don’t trust him but I guess I’ve never experienced a manager trying to get himself a new deal as Fergie just had his 1 year rolling deal from 2002 or whenever it was and Moyes/LVG we’re finished before new contracts were anywhere near required.

I must say, as you probably already know, I am a Jose fan. Not of his football of the man. I loved how he wound everyone up while at Chelsea. Doesn't really do it at united to the same degree.

I don't think it's a secret he wants a new deal. When he signed he said he saw as a real long term job. And I do hold some faith that when he gets the players he trusts the football will get more interesting.

That’s another thing I want from him I don’t want mature nice Mourinho I want angry in your face Mourinho as I think that’s the Mourinho who gets a team to run through walls for him and it’s what built his success as a coach.

He always says he’s here for the long haul but that’s one thing I’m not buying until I see it, Utd could be that place as it seems there’s very little interference from above but not sure how many summers the owners will sign off £100-150m spending sprees.

Why suddenly does he see Utd as a long term job. Surely Chelsea and Real would be nice long term jobs too but he burned his bridges at both clubs at board room level and players level. I’m actually inclined to think he’s putting in place a security net just securing a nice payoff if the worst happens in year 3 of his contract, and it usually does.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Good news in my opinion. There are some things i'm not happy with him but on the whole I like what he's doing. There seems to be a plan behind a lot of what he's doing, he's looking long term in a lot of aspects. With youth, he's bringing them into the first team environment and loaning them out before (hopefully) getting promoted, TFM and Pereira are both looking like they're ready for that next step. Tuanzebe and McTominay ready for loans. I'd like to see them afforded more playing time especially when it seems there is a big opportunity for it, but I think Mourinho has a plan for these players. More of a plan than Van Gaal had. With signings, a lot of Mourinho's signings have been of that age where they're about to enter their peak years while he's added experience when needed. I think we've still got a lot of work to do in terms of rebuilding the squad but Mourinho is doing a good job in getting the squad back to a level that is fitting of the club.

Around October/November there was talk he was unhappy about certain things and was linked to PSG and you could see that after a good start and everything being positive he didn't seem himself but has looked more like he did back in August in the past couple of weeks.

If true he’s got what he wanted hopefully that puts his focus back on the team and stops all that nonsense we had in the press for the last 3 months.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back