United expect to welcome more young players this summer

Sideshow Bob

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It's really really promising for the future and maybe why the club won't appoint Jose.

They seem to want to revive the youth team with a number of chances being made and I can't see them then handing the reigns to Jose? This season really will have served as a message to all youngsters around the world that the club still gives youth a chance and I'm sure the next manager will have to follow that.

If Mourinho was asked to give youth a chance, he might. Real Madrid and Chelsea don't care about giving youth a chance, it's not a part of those club's, he had no reason to give youth a chance. At Inter, he actually spoke of bringing youth through, Balotelli's first full season was under Mourinho, Santon was another, others were given chances too. At Inter: “the most important part of my job at the moment is the improvement of the youth here. They have big potential and I think I have the conditions to help improve them."

At the start of his 2nd spell with Chelsea he said “If you don't bring kids through the academy, the best thing is to close the academy”, he chose against loaning out Loftus-Cheek this season as he felt he was ready, with Chelsea struggling though maybe found it hard to give him more chances.

There's no guarantee he would give chances to youth but he knows what United's about, he's not new to football, he knows the history. I think he really wants the job and will do what's asked of him.

I agree to an extent mate... He's had success with youth in the past but it's few and far between. Maybe Real and Chelsea didn't force the point of youth. Maybe they let him spend the money and didn't really care about the youth set up. That would absolutely be different at United where the clubs philosophy is to promote youth from within.

My concern though is the point you make about Loftus-Cheek... He kept him I'm sure with the intention of playing him. But then didn't feel the time was right due to the situation? Now I don't dispute that but the situation we are in isn't much different! Would he keep the youngsters in the team like LVG has so far? I'm not so sure he would. He will be brought in to restore us to where we were under Fergie... And maybe to do that he will have to spend like he's done before.

If Mourinho had the injuries at Chelsea that we've had this season, he'd have played more youngsters because he'd have had no other option, just like Van Gaal has had no other option.

OK you've got me there... Because I've made that argument against LVG already so I can't go back on it now! ;)

I still think his track record doesn't offer us the greatest confidence. However, I'm sure this will be discussed with Jose if we do approach him.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back