United budgeting for three major signings in the summer?

Said it in other threads Utd have to be more serious this summer we should be targeting 5 or 6 players for the squad depending on who sticks around we can't keep drifting along taking it slow get the players in and then give yourself a year to settle everyone in then get ready to go.

If we keep doing it 2 or 3 at a time we will be in transition trying to catch up forever.

Got to keep in mind Sanchez is coming back next season so he’ll be like a new signing.

I think we are a central defender, a right winger, two central midfielders, an attacking midfielder and a striker away from being in real contention. Even then they have to be right fits. However, I think this summer we could maybe get away with one CM, an AM, RW and a ST.

All depends on what happens with Pogba. If he signs a new deal then everything has a different picture.

Assuming he stays CB RW CF and a CM isn’t the emergency.

If he leaves a CM becomes the most important if signings.

Also what happens with Mata Lingard Periera Shaw Jones - Whilst these aren’t great players if all were to leave you need squad players. Our squads too think as it is.

I think in the summer as always it’s as much about outs and ins.

Out Jones, Bailly, Smalling, Rojo, Pogba, Mata, Lingard, Sanchez. Not all of these will be permanent but these are the guys who I think need to move on. That is 8 players but 3 are already out on loan they shouldn’t come back in my opinion.

In CB, CM, CM, RF, CF

If we can improve the current starters in these 5 positions we should have a really strong squad going forward.

3 isn't enough. 2 to 3 is what a team who are already competing sometimes will need to do to freshen up. We need 4 to 5 and even that's a number being limited because 6 or 7, which is a minimum of what we need, is too many in one summer.

Little has changed from last summer. The priority should be two midfielders and a right winger. The team is crying out for creativity.

Little has changed from last summer. The priority should be two midfielders and a right winger. The team is crying out for creativity.
And a CB and a striker. Not ahead of those that you mention absolutely not but we need those as well.

Is that based on Smalling being here for next season for you?

I’m happy to see how Williams develops and let Shaw play back up. Of course if we could sign Chilwell I’d be delighted but think Lindelof doesn’t cut it in the Prem.

Lindelof can definitely be upgraded so if the opportunity did arise to get someone in to play alongside Maguire we should do it. Personally I think Smalling would do a good job next to Maguire but think that ship has sailed.

I think if we managed to get in Grealish, Sancho and another midfielder (presuming Pogba is staying here) then I think we will be well set.

If we got Grealish and Sancho in the summer I’d throw a party.

I'm not sure LB should be one of the major signings though? Get 3 major signings and then go add a LB.

A new left back would be fourth or fifth priority. I struggle to understand the obsession for centre backs. A new centre back will make little difference to this team. The defence is good enough to finish in the top four, which should be the aim for the next season. A top centre back is the finial piece of the jigsaw for a title challenging team. Look at a centre back in summer 2021 which should be the season United are challenging for the title.

Priority for me obviously this assumes Pogba is sold and Matic stays.

1) CM
2) RF
3) CF
4) CM
5) CB
6) AM

The CB signing for me is to be made if we can clear the decks and sell all of Jones/Bailly/Rojo/Smalling this summer create the space for a 4th centre back to come into the squad but I'd only be looking to bring in a real heavy hitter signing like Koulibaly who goes straight into the first team.

I'd like to see the 1-4 signings made the other 2 can probably wait until next summer if we can get the right players in for those 1-4 spots if we can improve our starting options in those 4 spots next season I think we'll be a much stronger team capable of being top 4 and closing the gap to the top.

The CB signing for me is to be made if we can clear the decks and sell all of Jones/Bailly/Rojo/Smalling this summer create the space for a 4th centre back to come into the squad but I'd only be looking to bring in a real heavy hitter signing like Koulibaly who goes straight into the first team.

Not tempted to give Bailly another go to prove himself? Obviously he has been injured for god knows how long but still think there is a player in there. He’s quick and strong - erratic but that can be drummed out of a defender (minus Phil Jones). I think he would be the last guy to be sold to be honest. Obviously no idea if Ole sees a player in there but would be interested to see if he can develop as a defender. As he was impressive when he first joined but clearly with a penchant for brain farts.

I gave up on Bailly a while back. Forgot he played for us at points last season.

Not tempted to give Bailly another go to prove himself? Obviously he has been injured for god knows how long but still think there is a player in there. He’s quick and strong - erratic but that can be drummed out of a defender (minus Phil Jones). I think he would be the last guy to be sold to be honest. Obviously no idea if Ole sees a player in there but would be interested to see if he can develop as a defender. As he was impressive when he first joined but clearly with a penchant for brain farts.

Not really even when he played he was a liability a lot of the time needed time to polish those skills under good coaches he was very impulsive a reactive defender rather than a proactive one basically he reacted to dangerous situations rather than anticipate them which is what the top defenders do.

Given his age you can probably get a good chunk of money back not many players really shake off these injury problems once they start I don't mind if they keep him around and give him another chance but I just think he's missed to much football as an important time so it'll be hard for him to ever fulfil that potential now.

He's also in that window where if he stays he needs a new contract to protect the transfer value so I'd try and take the cash now and reinvest it.

A new left back would be fourth or fifth priority. I struggle to understand the obsession for centre backs. A new centre back will make little difference to this team. The defence is good enough to finish in the top four, which should be the aim for the next season. A top centre back is the finial piece of the jigsaw for a title challenging team. Look at a centre back in summer 2021 which should be the season United are challenging for the title.
I'm not even suggesting CB is a top 3 need though bud.

3 players in ain't enough more it is 6 players with in by U18 winger Hannibal Mejbri and winger Memphis Depay.

Outs:

Martial 62M
Pogba 70M
Jones 5M
Smalling 10M
Lingard 10M
Dalot 40M
Henderson 20M
Gomes FREE TRANSFER
Rojo 12M
Bailly 14M
Grant retire
A.Pereira 1M
Sanchez 15M
McTominay 15M

274 million € in transfer outs.

28 players in team building:

GK: De Gea, Romero, Bishop, J.Pereira
RB: Wan Bissaka, Jurado
LB: Shaw, Williams
CB: Shrinkar, Lindelöf, Fosu-Mensah, Maguire, Tuanzebe
CM: Garner, Fred, Matic, Fernandes, Maddison or Van De Beek
AM: James, Mata, Mejbri, Depay
FW: Rashford, Greenwood, Chong, Ighalo, J.King

I haven’t got time to break all that down but a quick few things I’ve noticed.

£40m for Dalot?
Only £1m for Periera?

Why we getting rid of McTominay? Home grown good talent that will be good in the squad for a decade
Martial isn’t someone I’d be getting rid of whilst we’re light up top.
Gomes should be kept around and loaned out.
Selling Henderson for £20m should see whoever is in charge sacked. Young, Home grown, potential to be the best keeper in the league

I haven’t got time to break all that down but a quick few things I’ve noticed.

£40m for Dalot?
Only £1m for Periera?

Why we getting rid of McTominay?

The coach didn't want McTominay so he is out by team.

There is a chance Henderson leaves because of his contract Utd will need him to renew. There may be a situation where they get him to sign a new 5 year deal but give him a 1 or 2 year loan to Sheff Utd with De Gea around for at least a few more seasons they need to be clever with him.

Looks like Gomes is going on a free can't agree a new deal fact it's end of May now and nothing is announced suggests that his mind is made up and he's off. Chong signed a new deal recently my guess is he will go out on loan next season to get some experience in first team football.

Utd will be lucky to get rid of players this summer the health pandemic is about to be followed by a financial recession and for the first time in a long time football will also be hit by that. The sort of clubs who might want to buy our players are all going to be broke so best case we can hope for in terms of selling our "bomb squad" players is loan deals where we are only paying parts of the wages.

Guys like Sanchez/Rojo/Jones/Smalling/Lingard are all sitting on big money contracts which no one will want to be taking on best case is you get someone to take them on free transfers to just clear the wages on your books but you can forget a transfer fee this summer. More sensible will be loan them out again hope the market recovers in 12 months then take what you can in 12 months time for them.

Reserve eleven: Bishop/J.Pereira - Laird, Fosu-Mensah, Tuanzebe, Williams - Gomes, Garner - Greenwood, Chong, James - King

There is a chance Henderson leaves because of his contract Utd will need him to renew. There may be a situation where they get him to sign a new 5 year deal but give him a 1 or 2 year loan to Sheff Utd with De Gea around for at least a few more seasons they need to be clever with him.

Looks like Gomes is going on a free can't agree a new deal fact it's end of May now and nothing is announced suggests that his mind is made up and he's off. Chong signed a new deal recently my guess is he will go out on loan next season to get some experience in first team football.

Utd will be lucky to get rid of players this summer the health pandemic is about to be followed by a financial recession and for the first time in a long time football will also be hit by that. The sort of clubs who might want to buy our players are all going to be broke so best case we can hope for in terms of selling our "bomb squad" players is loan deals where we are only paying parts of the wages.

Guys like Sanchez/Rojo/Jones/Smalling/Lingard are all sitting on big money contracts which no one will want to be taking on best case is you get someone to take them on free transfers to just clear the wages on your books but you can forget a transfer fee this summer. More sensible will be loan them out again hope the market recovers in 12 months then take what you can in 12 months time for them.

Pogba and Martial and A.Pereira and Henderson too outs.

All depends on what happens with Pogba. If he signs a new deal then everything has a different picture.

Assuming he stays CB RW CF and a CM isn’t the emergency.

First it was Pogba then was McTominay now it is Fernandes and Garner to leave perhaps Fred are left in team building but you had a possible declusion on right way with four major signings with move of Bruno Fernandes trial with Barcelona CF on back way is one of Fernandes, Pogba and McTominay wrong in squad Ole want Jude Bellington transfer in the attacking player are Griezmann or King or Ighalo because Cavani are City really.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back