United agree terms to sign Daniel James

Sideshow Bob

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

£15m plus £3m of add ons seems to be the consensus on the fee, peanuts in the modern market and he's the first championship player Utd have signed since Wilf Zaha from Palace.

It's a gamble but he brings something we need which is a player who wants to run in behind opposition and looks to break beyond people with his speed.

His stats aren't breath taking and he's far from a game changing signing but think he fills a gap in the squad and with Europa league football next season there's plenty of chances for a developing player to get games as it's unlikely that the first team players will be playing the group stage games in Europa.

As someone else said, we’ll call him Danilo Hames (ala James Rodrigues) and people will love him.

It's definitely a gamble. He looks to have the tools to be a really good player but he's not played at the highest level and that fee kind of, to me, reinforces the risk here. Those kinds of fees are unheard of. But I like the principle of the signing. Young player to develop.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Some people dont seem to agree but Im really excited to see how good this lad can really be, not saying this through rose tinted specs but he must be one of the fastest players I've ever seen.

Ive seen some quick guys - Obafemi Martins, Theo Walcott, Gareth Bale, Hector Bellerin, To be honest one of the fastest ever IMO was a german guy called David Odonkor (some might not of heard of him) but wow he was rapid.

Not much excitement quite like seeing someone with bags of pace to hopefully learn other bits to his game and terrorise defences.

If he can think as fast as he moves his potential is huge that was always the challenge with the likes of Walcott moves at 100mph but didn’t really know how to use the speed in a smart way like Salah & Pedro do.

If he can learn the clever runs he will be a nightmare for defenders as once he’s in behind no one is catching him.

Hopefully he’s not the only reinforcement in attack this summer but he is a winger we are lacking.

Theo gets a bit of an unfair hand. He’s 15th on the all time scorers list for Arsenal. 108 goals. The top scorer at the Emirates I believe and third top scorer during Arsène Wengers reign behind Henry and Van Persie.

Ive seen some quick guys - Obafemi Martins, Theo Walcott, Gareth Bale, Hector Bellerin, To be honest one of the fastest ever IMO was a german guy called David Odonkor (some might not of heard of him) but wow he was rapid.
Ah David Odonkor, I remember him well. He was a pace don on Fifa, his other skills were average but man he could run fast. Just out of curiosity I just googled him and he retired in his early 20’s and is now manager of a Germany amateur side.

I am very excited about his potential, when you have that raw speed you have a great base to work from. Hopefully we can Garner this potential and he can be great for us. When you do run fast there are always injury concerns like there was with Giggs but I am super excited about what he can do.

We have so much work to do in the market this summer but it’s a decent start and is the sort of player I think Ole will be looking to bring in.

AWB or Max Aarons
Central midfielder
Striker

Im settling for the above in this window as i think its the minimum that we need.

Theo gets a bit of an unfair hand. He’s 15th on the all time scorers list for Arsenal. 108 goals. The top scorer at the Emirates I believe and third top scorer during Arsène Wengers reign behind Henry and Van Persie.

I think Walcott had a good career but he was expected to have a great career when he emerged but it took him a long time to really learn how to use his attribute which was his speed and his finishing improved massively over the years but he has faded away in the last few seasons Arsenal cashed in on him at the right time.

I always felt with Walcott he was a sprinter who learned how to play football he wasn't a naturally gifted football who could play on instinct he had to learn all the skills through coaching basically being told what to do and when to do it rather.

He also massively struggled with the other side of the game he was a defensive liability through his entire career because he just couldn't work out how to do that side of the game.

James from what I've seen looks a much more naturally gifted footballer still got plenty of work to do in terms of improving finishing and decision making.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back