United’s squad

Sideshow Bob

3 wins, 12 goals scored, 3 goals conceded since Solskjaer was named manager.

We’ve had discussions about the state of United’s squad. Have your opinions changed as a result of the last three performances?

Possibly. We still clearly need a centre back. Bailley is an accident waiting to happen. I actually don't think it was a sending off but you could sort of see it coming. However some players are now looking better than they were under Jose.

The last three performances has shown that United don’t need a better defence to player attractive attacking football. This United squad shouldn’t be afraid to go toe-to-toe with the likes of Cardiff, Huddersfield and Bournemouth. More often than not the qualities of the better players will shine through and win games. I will be surprised if United are as gung-ho/as open against tougher opponents.

We clearly need a CB, if not 2. I'd still like to see a decent RF bought in but maybe Sanchez can fit in there now.

Also I don't really want to be going into next season with Young at LB. Delot needs game time to get him settled.

The last three performances has shown that United don’t need a better defence to player attractive attacking football. This United squad shouldn’t be afraid to go toe-to-toe with the likes of Cardiff, Huddersfield and Bournemouth. More often than not the qualities of the better players will shine through and win games. I will be surprised if United are as gung-ho/as open against tougher opponents.

We’ve played 3 of the weakest teams in the league and conceded multiple chances in each game. The side is without doubt too weak at the back. Alderwierald coming in would be a start.

We’ve played 3 of the weakest teams in the league and conceded multiple chances in each game. The side is without doubt too weak at the back. Alderwierald coming in would be a start.

The squad obviously requires a few additions, however under Mourinho there were plenty saying that the squad needed a massive overhaul, which isn’t the case.

To win the league I still think the squad needs to be improved league titles now are 90+ points to do that you need a much tighter defence. I think we’ve seen in 3 games these players can roll over the weaker sides no problem but we need to see how they handle going toe to toe with the better sides. Being free scoring going forward probably plays to our strength as it means we do less defending in most games.

So far this season Spurs, City, Liverpool all scored 3 against us, Chelsea & Arsenal 2 that’s poor even Brighton/West Ham got 3. I don’t think this group of defenders and to some extent midfielders can improve enough to get these numbers right down.

In the summer money really has to go on that defence I think RB, LB and at least 1 centre back. In attack I still would like to see left footed wide player to give us some balance. In central midfield I think we are ok give Fred a chance to settle and it really is time to move Fellaini on.

A lot this summer will depend on contracts if De Gea & Martial won’t sign they have to be sold and if they are then they’ll need replacing. It’s unlikely either will sign until they know who the new manager is that’s probably more relevant to Martial than De Gea for De Gea it’s all about can I win at Utd.

Tbh I was one of them. I still think we need 3 or 4 top quality players but there are several players that have really stepped up.

For me the squad has shown they are top 4 material but they don’t look like top 1 material which is what Utd aspire to be not just domestically but also in Europe.

The squad obviously requires a few additions, however under Mourinho there were plenty saying that the squad needed a massive overhaul, which isn’t the case.

You could say the opposite. These players obviously downed tools under Mourinho and that is unacceptable.

You could but I don't think so. I keep hearing this idea that they downed tools because they didn't run as much as the opposition. Don't buy into that. The reason we weren't running as much is because we just sat really deep and just filled gaps. That was totally down to Jose's tactics.

If it was just one player downing tools maybe you could blame the player and deal with him but as it was supposedly half the squad then you have to look to the manager.

The squad is still light regardless. Our midfield apart from Pogba could be upgraded, we need a CB and a RB and we could do with selling some players. Lukaku for a start. And we need to sign up DGD and Martial. I read Rashford is down to 18 months

I don't buy the players downed tools argument. The manager is tasked with creating an environment that can get the best out of the players at his disposal. Mourinho failed to do this. The players appeared unhappy and were suffocated by his tactics. The defensive line under Solskjaer is now higher up the pitch meaning the players can press higher up the pitch and the attackers are closer to the opponents penalty area.

Mourinho had fans believing the squad is a poor one.

You could but I don't think so. I keep hearing this idea that they downed tools because they didn't run as much as the opposition. Don't buy into that. The reason we weren't running as much is because we just sat really deep and just filled gaps. That was totally down to Jose's tactics.

If it was just one player downing tools maybe you could blame the player and deal with him but as it was supposedly half the squad then you have to look to the manager.

Without a doubt Mourinhos fault for the environment he created however I feel players have to take some of the heat. You see the new manager bounce all of the time followed by a drop off. Look at Arsenal this season. But it’s a product of too much player power in football.

The squad is poor compared to its peers but not as poor as Jose had us playing.

Just had a look at how many shots the same opponents had against Liverpool.

Liverpool
Cardiff 2
Huddersfield 13 (Liverpool had fewer shots)
Bournemouth 10 (Liverpool had fewer shots)

United
Cardiff 9
Huddersfield 10
Bournemouth 7

Stats from BBC.

Huddersfield actually played extremely well against Liverpool. Should have taken the lead but hit the bar twice and then Liverpool scored against the run of play.

The point still stands though we are conceding too many good chances.

You could argue Mourinho downed tools by playing McTominay in a back 3.

In honesty it's just a period of time we need to put behind us. Move on and enjoy watching what we are getting atm.

8 in 8. 22 goals scored, 5 goals conceded. I think we’ve seen what the squad is capable of under Solskjaer.

8 in 8. 22 goals scored, 5 goals conceded. I think we’ve seen what the squad is capable of under Solskjaer.

Whilst I agree in essence. There was always going to be a new manager bounce regardless of who comes in and what the club the evidence statistically proves it to be the case.

I still think it’s obvious we’re weak defensively. 5 conceded is very much an outlier to the XG we’ve allowed.

Out of interest, what is the XG stat if the game against Spurs is omitted from the analysis? How does the XG stat compare against other clubs?

Not sure where to find this online but they’re always mentioned on a podcast I listen to so will get you the correct stats tomorrow.

To be honest, I think it's a bit more than new manager bounce. The mentality is different. Would Mourinho have brought on Rashford and Martial at 2-1 up with 15-20 minutes? I think there's a decent chance Mourinho would have brought on Fellaini and sat deep.

I definitely agree with you in that regard. The attitude is different. The feeling is different. I just feel the defence needs sorting. They could have had 5 last night. Tottenham could have had 5. Newcastle should have had a few

Think the squad is showing it's good enough to compete for top 4 but I don't think it's capable of challenging for the title for that to happen the defence needs improvement.

Umm I'm not sure I'd say my opinions have really changed about the squad. The squad isn't good enough to challenge for the title but it's good enough I think to get top 4. Players like Rashford and Martial are showing that actually they could be top players next year rather than potential players. The defense still isn't good enough, the midfield needs a new signing and we need a new right sided winger.

Outside our first choice front 6, we don't have players suited to playing that way. Sanchez, Mata and Lukaku don't fit. Gap between Matic/Herrera/Pogba and the rest is massive. In defence, apart from Lindelof I don't think any are good enough to start, Dalot has potential though.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back