United’s next captain

SuperRash

I would say De Gea is favourite for the role. I think a new right back will be brought in so Valencia won’t be first choice.

I remember when we had this conversation in another thread about a year ago, Herrera was lauded as one of the favourites. Now he’s probably not even in the thinking.

I don’t think we necessarily have lots of leaders who you would think wow he’d make the perfect captain. I think it could be the making of Pogba if we gave it to him but not sure if Jose will go down that route. So right now you would say De Gea is the man.

O-Dog

I think you're right, giving Pogba the armband could be the making of him. Turn him into the leader we need.

Always liked the talismanic captains: Robbo, Cantona, Keane etc.

Mr C

Depends what you read, De Gea and Pogba are the favourites, but I just read they both will be leaving :-D

He might give it to Bailly

Edgy1968

De Gea all day for me, Pogba antics this season have put him down the list for me, De Gea is just an absolute machine, giving him the armband I think he would relish it and is 10 times more deserving than Pogba or anyone else.

jsp

Well it'll probably be Valencia next season not sure the language skills are up to being club captain as you have to be a lot more visable off the pitch.

My guess is if he signs a new deal it'll probably be De Gea but my hunch is he will give it to Matic although the club would probably want it to go to Pogba as they can do a butt load of marketing off the back of it.

I don't think Mourinho wants a dominating captain presence at the club as he's seen first hand the problems it can cause him so I think he might go for Matic as he knows he's 100% in his corner.

Edgy1968

Not sure on Matic, be 30 soon not sure how many years he will be at the club, I know Jose loves him but the captains armband at the minute is getting passed from pillar to post.

Be a joke if Valencia gets it, he offers absolutely zero as a captain, can hardly speak the language as you say, for me a captain should be an extension of the manager on the pitch, there is no one more United than De Gea and the fact he has held of the advances of Madrid for so long, deserves to be repaid.

If United give it to Pogba for marketing purposes I will be booking my season ticket at Salford, that would be ridiculous.

jsp

I think the idea of a captain is nonsense great sides have XI captains on a pitch the great Utd sides of the 90's had multiple captains and everyone took responsibility, there is a role for the captain in a club but I think it's more of an off the field thing.

The captain for me should be the guy who sets the standards not just on the pitch but off it with performance but also professionalism. So you want a guy who not only keeps his performance level high in matches but also in training, looks after himself properly, doesn't get himself caught out in the papers, someone you can talk to and someone the youngsters can look up to as well.

De Gea is very different to Mourinho in terms of his personality and he's not a vocal keeper who organises his defence he's totally different to the likes of Schmiechel or Van Der Sar who were constantly talking to the defence whereas De Gea seems to me very quiet and focused on his job.

A captain has to command respect from everyone in the dressing room and I don't think on the pitch the captain plays a huge role anymore so that's why I think De Gea could take on the role if he's ok with becoming a more public face of Utd.

Matic for me is just a safe pair of hands he comes across as a guy everyone seems to like, he's a good professional and yes he's 30 but surely you want someone with a bit of life experience. Players used to bring their life problems to the captain but now they tend to go to agents but part of being a captain is spotting when something isn't right with someone.

Utd have a pretty strict rule that the manager and coaches don't go into the players locker room at the training ground that's the players sanctuary so that is where you want a good captain making sure that the atmosphere in that place away from the manager stays positive and focused.

maxt7

I sort of miss us having that real leader though. Dont get me wrong I agree with JSP that at this level everyone should be a leader and setting standards. But I do miss that guy who went above and beyond on a pitch and would leave it all out there for the side. But do we have anyone that genuinely loves the club that much at this moment in time? Herrera I get that vibe with but the bloke cant get on the pitch until recently and everyone else is either too young or their long term future at the club is uncertain.

It surprises me because Jose has had people like Ramos, Zanetti and Terry have all led his pasts sides which suggests to me that he wants that as well but if the players not there his not there. So if De Gea does get it then I suppose we will got down the Argentina route and just give it to your best player which isn't the reason you should be captain in my opinion.

Mr C

That's why I went Bailly, he likes a CB captain

jsp

The club needs some custodians in the squad who will stay long term and go through the multiple manager we will have that is the role that captains or leader play now they aren't really the managers captain they are the clubs captain if that makes sense. Terry, Ramos, Zanetti, Gerrard, Puyol these iconic guy at big clubs aren't there to be the managers guy they are their to represent the club and at times they will need to get the players together even when they don't like the manager to win an important game like a derby.

Utd don't really have these guys anymore as the long serving players are slowly dissapearing and new leaders haven't really emerged in the squad to take on that responsibility.

Mourinho I think doesn't like to have the strong captain he created a monster in Terry at Chelsea and it got him sacked once maybe even twice at Madrid he lost the big names in the dressing room and that cost him his job he knows like Fergie you have to maintain complete control so I don't think he wants to make someone that talisman or leader of the team because he knows if he has to go up against him he might be the one that loses.

Utd for me need players who can handle the pressure and take on the responsibility that comes with playing for Utd, everyone wants you to fail and everyone wants to beat you because they hate you and for to long now to many players haven't grasped that you don't get easy games at Utd you have to work hard every game because the opposition won't just roll over. To paraphrase something keane said match you opponents work rate and your ability will do the rest never let your opponent dominate you because he's working harder.

Edgy1968

Im the same, I'm all for having 4/5 captains on the pitch but when the going gets tough, its great to have a leader to grab them by the scruff of the neck, how many times did Keane lead by example, give out a few rollockings when needed, step up as if to say "hey were man united, follow me were going to war", I absolutely love that! Matic to me doesn't look like he is overly vocal and to be honest a lot of his performances are not exactly inspiring, I think De Gea would be immense as a person for the kids to look up to, conducts himself perfectly on and off the pitch, no social media crap to deal with, his performances on the pitch should inspire others, yeah different personality to Jose but who cares when he gives you what your looking for on the pitch, he doesn't have to be massively vocal, plenty of captains just lead by example and I would imagine he is a voice in the changing room.

He grabbed Pogba last week with Carrick to sort his head out, captain material, where the hell was Valencia?

jsp

It's not really even a case of grabbing someone it's having players on the pitch who can realise when something is wrong and solve the problem and also guys who are mentally capable of dealing with criticism and take some responsibility for what they've done.

A captain has to be someone you look up to and think he's doing it right I want to be like him if I do what he does maybe I'll have a career like him. That is why Carrick was perfect for the role even though he's hardly played this season, Pogba even mentioned that he's been talking him through his performances after games and highlighting things he can do better. Carrick has kind of evolved from captain to coach over the last 6 months I honestly think he might have actually secretly retired already he's just there in case we suddenly had loads of injuries but I think he knew when he came back that his time was up so he's even started sitting on the bench recently as a coach.

Social media is part of modern life and now part of football I personally have no problem with players posting pictures or videos of what they are up to it gives us more of a glimpse into the lives of our players and most players realise there is a time and a place for it. You can't let celebrity get in the way of your football Beckham learnt that early on and he's accepted it probably cost him his dream job which was playing for Man Utd because the manager couldn't be bothered putting up with it anymore as the beast couldn't be tamed.

Valencia is captain because he's the most experienced player in the squad after Carrick and I guess longest serving that tends to be how it works with Jose and it's how it works in a lot of clubs/national teams around Europe.

I'll be totally honest I don't see why teams need captains anymore.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now