UEFA to end Away Goals Rule

jsp

Top Poster Of Month
Looks to be on the way out according to reports it just needs final sign off within UEFA but the decision seems to have been made to get rid of the away goals rule from knockout games going forward in all UEFA competitions from next season.

It's an interesting one because it's origins are valid and probably made a big difference but the fear of the away goal probably means teams play more cautiously at home now especially if you are at home in the first leg.

I wonder how many knockout ties over the last 10 years have been decided by the away goal rule?

Interesting. It was supposed to incentivize the away team to attack, but has scared the home side into defending. I remember hearing Jonathon Wilson advocating for this a while back (found it). I wonder what the unintended consequences of this will be. Will away sides be more cautious? Will you get home sides trying to run up the score in the first leg? More ET/pens?

There's nothing worse than being at home in the second leg and having the match go to ET and the away side has another 30 min to get an away goal.

I think the away leg used to be much harder than it is now as travel wasn't as straight forward so teams are used to travelling for games and modern scouting means it's so much easier to scout your opponent so you don't really get the trips to the unknown that you did when the rules first came in.

It's give and take yes they get an extra 30 minutes to make an away goal count but you've got the benefit of being at home for an extra 30 minutes.

Should they have just said away goals don't count in extra time.

Pretty sure the playoffs don't count away goals.

to make it fairer, scrap the 30 mins and go straight to pens.

Most home teams are too scared to attack in the extra time because if they concede they'll have to score twice.

On average, Premier League teams consistently win around 46.2% of home games, while the draw occurs around 27.52% of the time and the away team are victorious in 26.32% of games. If that roughly correlates to CL matches, and a 2-1 defeat isn't a good away result in the first leg anymore, I think away sides are going to try and make sure they don't lose in the hopes they can win the return leg at home.

to make it fairer, scrap the 30 mins and go straight to pens.

Nah games should be decided by football not by penalties they have to remain the last resort.

Removing the away goal issue during extra time along with the extra sub might have encouraged teams to go for it a bit more.

It varies extra time in finals is often terrible as both sides are afraid of conceding but earlier this season a Juve vs Porto game went to extra time and it was brilliant.

Will be interesting to see if it impacts on extra time but with scores level teams will always be cautious so not sure removing away goals rule will make teams go for it in extra time.

Removing away goals probably means more games will go to extra time.

Another change being discussed is playing the two semi’s and final at the end of the season in one city semi finals midweek (one off game) the final at the weekend. Not sure I’m a fan I think at this level the two legs mean the best team tends to go through this final four idea I think sounds awful for fans.

It's official. The rule is gone from next season in all UEFA club competitions

Will be interesting to see if it makes any difference to the way 2 legged ties are played.

When it comes to the top sides I don't think they really change their approach regardless of playing home or away most teams tend to have one way of playing that they stick to.

I think it won't make a lot of difference in how teams play on balance because it will even out. Away, they used to attack more to get the away goal advantage and then play conservatively at home, now they will play more conservatively away and attack at home. I liked the away goal rule. It is easier to travel now and the pitches are mostly uniform (except Russia and some other places) but the traveling team is still at a disadvantage especially in hostile cities.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back