UEFA tell nations to stop moving their stuff

jsp

Top Poster Of Month
In the mad mad world of Euro 2020 which is actually in 2021 UEFA have actually had to remind nations to stop moving their sponsors products during interviews.

This follows Ronaldo removing Coca-Cola bottles from the desk where he was being interviewed and Pogba removing an alcohol free Heineken bottle.

These two things are different Ronaldo's objection is on health grounds and Pogba's objection is on religious grounds but should footballers be forced to be photographed and therefore associated with brands that they object to just because they're sponsoring a tournament you play in?

Difficult isn't it, I get why they did it, but what next, get a marker pen out when they stand in front of the ad boards for interviews after matches?

I think they need to just take it as part of their job.

If it was alcohol free, what's the objection? I guess Pogba didn't realise?

Having your logo everywhere is ok if you've paid for it, but the product placement is unnecessary, imo.

I wouldn't be surprised if at least one of those incidents was planned. The amount of times Coke and Heineken have been mentioned since has been much higher than if neither of these incidents happened.

If it was alcohol free, what's the objection? I guess Pogba didn't realise?

Having your logo everywhere is ok if you've paid for it, but the product placement is unnecessary, imo.

It is alcohol free version but I think Pogba's issue is he doesn't want to be associated with an alcohol brand in any way as to the untrained eye it looks like Pogba is sat at a table with a beer when he isn't but that's the image the marketing people want to present.

I do agree the physical product placement thing is a step to far but think it's something that's been more common in other countries for a while now.

I can see parallels between these incidents and Naomi Osaka refusing to do interviews at the French Open on account of mental health concerns. The organizers argued that interviews were a required obligation for the athlete's participation in the event, and I'm sure UEFA would suggest something similar about their press conferences and the placement of their sponsor's products.

I would tend to agree with the athletes on this. If there are things that they don't agree with, why should they be forced to promote them? If interviews are damaging to the mental health of an athlete, accommodations should be made. It happens in regular society all the time, just because these people earn millions, doesn't make them any less deserving of the same.

I can see that argument for Pogba, but not Ronaldo, who has been photo'd advertising coke before. And KFC

Those adverts are from when he was a United player. You can change in over a decade. Plus he's a father now so probably more aware of the example he's setting.

Plus he was younger and trying to earn his way. Now that he's established, and has managed to salt a few quid away, he's less likely to shill anything for anybody that will pay him, and can speak out for things he believes in.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back