Sideshow Bob

United Under-21s to face Liverpool in Leigh - Official Manchester United Website

Manchester United face Liverpool in the Barclays Under-21 Premier League on Monday night, 26 January, in what promises to be a keenly-contested encounter at Leigh Sports Village (KO 19:00 GMT).

Warren Joyce's side could end up back on top of the division, depending on other results, despite going four league outings without a victory. The game is a first home fixture for the side since early November and presents a chance to translate all the good work on the training ground into a competitive game.

The postponement of the Manchester Senior Cup tie at Bolton Wanderers last week means there has only been one match for Joyce's team in 2015 so far and the players will be keen to put on a show against the club's fierce rivals.

"The Liverpool fixtures are the ones the first team look at as massive games and we do the same at Under-21 level as well," Joyce told MUTV. "Both clubs have a great tradition, not only for winning things but also for playing a certain brand of football. The games are always competitive with bragging rights for the fans at stake. We want to win them."

The two rivals drew 1-1 at Anfield in August with Tom Lawrence, who has since joined Leicester City, scoring for United. Ashley Fletcher is expected to lead the attack after Will Keane joined Sheffield Wednesday on loan although Nick Powell is another option. U21s captain Tom Thorpe has yet to return from an ankle injury.

Fans can attend for free by registering at www.leighsportsvillage.co.uk/manutd. The match will be shown live on MUTV with coverage starting at 18:30 GMT.

There's talk Darren Fletcher will play and it'll be his last game for the club. Shame we couldn't put the game on Friday to bed early on and given him a proper send off. He is due a testimonial though I suppose which will be his send off.

Not much point in keeping fletcher at the club if we play Powell up top

Powell is much closer to the first team so would generally be preferred.I can see something like this:

J.Pereira
Janko - Love - Blackett - Vermijl
Harrop - Willock
Lingard - Pereira - Weir
Powell​

Powell is a midfield player who after several unsuccessful loan periods is no closer to the first team than he was when he signed, in fact probably further away. I am far from convinced that fletcher will make it either but I think he is more deserving of a chance up front. If Powell is going to play it should be in midfield for me

Liverpool: Vigouroux, McLaughlin, Maguire, Randall, Williams, Chirivella, Canos, Brannagan, Sinclair, Ibe, Ojo.

United: Valdes, Vermijl, McNair, Thorpe, Blackett, Janko, Anderson, Pereira, James, Lingard, Powell.

Subs: Pereira, Grimshaw, Love, Weir, Fletcher.

Good win. Thought the lads did well, even Anderson. Two very good finishes from Powell and McNair. How Tom Thorpe has never played for the first team I don't know. First game back from injury and he was absolutely class. Good to see the U21s have a game every week now until mid-March.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back