Sideshow Bob

Manchester United Under-21s entertain Leicester - Official Manchester United Website

Manchester United aim to regain top spot in the Barclays Under-21 Premier League when entertaining Leicester City at Leigh Sports Village on Monday night.

Warren Joyce's side have been excellent this term and could welcome Josh Harrop back into the fold after he returned to training last week. The talented midfielder injured his knee at Tottenham in September but is on the comeback trail.

Michael Carrick's spot should be up for grabs after he played at West Ham but Ben Pearson and Joe Rothwell may also be in the frame to start. James Wilson and fit-again Paddy McNair came on for the first team in the latter stages of the Manchester derby, so their involvement is far from certain.

Leicester may be at the foot of the table but their last result was hugely impressive, hammering leaders Manchester City 6-2 with ex-Red Tom Lawrence scoring twice. Jack Barmby and Danny Simpson were the two full-backs during the romp with Nick Powell also featuring, although it is understood he is ineligible to face his parent club. Louis Rowley is another United old boy in the Foxes' ranks.

"I think they have four or five of our ex-players," explained Joyce to ManUtd.com. "We always know what to expect from Leicester. They are a well-organised side who know their jobs and we'll be expecting another tough game. The matches have been good so far."

Team: Amos; Vermijl, Thorpe, Blackett, James; Janko, Pearson, A. Pereira; Harrop; W. Keane, Wilson

Subs: J. Pereira, Grimshaw, Love, Weir, Rothwell.

Leicester City: Smith; Simpson, Sesay, Kennedy, Barmby; Knockaert, McCourt, Dodoo; Lawrence; Albrighton, Hopper.

Subs: Chaudry, Maddison, Chilwell, Panayiotou, Scott.

2-1 at half time. Leicester fully deserve the lead, they have created plenty of opportunities.

Thought Leicester deserved the 3 points. Saw Nick Barmby after the game, and I said, "Bet you are happy with the winner", he said " Very Happy" with a big grin on his face!

I posed the question a couple of years ago as to whether Barmby could play left back. Thought he played well tonight.

Leicester looked pretty decent. Barmby didn't look half pleased with the winner. He looked a fine prospect at 16/17, strange how things have panned out for him.

Midfield didn't perform, Pearson did alright but apart from that, wasn't great. Wilson looked sharp but took a few knocks, another goal, i'd like to see him get a first team start soon, could really do with his pace up top. Amos very good in goal. Defence apart from Thorpe, not great.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back