manc1976

United U21 are back in action away to Blackburn Rovers at Leigh Sports Village on Monday 2 December, 7pm Kick Off

This game will be live on MUTV

Manchester United are back in Barclays Under-21 Premier League action on Monday night with a trip to Leigh to face Blackburn Rovers.

The Reds will be at home at the Sports Village ground in the UEFA Youth League later this month when Shakhtar Donetsk provide the opposition but will be out to upset the hosts Rovers on this occasion with the game live on MUTV.

Warren Joyce's side have not won in the competition since beating Bolton Wanderers in mid-September but have only played three times since then, drawing twice before losing to Stoke City in a behind-closed-doors fixture.

The options at this level have been reduced by some loan activity on Thursday with the Keane twins (Michael and Will) and Tom Lawrence departing on a temporary basis. The fact that Ben Amos has been farmed out to Carlisle United also means Sam Johnstone looks likely to start.

Joyce is keen to inject some young blood into his line-up, although this is complicated by participation in the aforementioned Under-19 European competition, but Darren Fletcher could continue his push for first-team inclusion with another run-out in midfield.

Starting XI: Johnstone, Varela, James, Rothwell, Ekangamene, Thorpe, Janko, Fletcher, Wilson, Fabio, Zaha

Substitutes: Pearson, Gollini (GK), Pereira, Love, Rudge, Barmby

I wonder if Wilson is no longer going to play for the U18's?

Darren or Ashley, manc?

I think we'll see Wilson playing for the U21s from now on.

Superb pass from Fletcher. Shame Rothwell's control let him down, he surely would have scored.

0-0 at half time. United dominating without creating too many clear cut opportunities.

2-0! Wilson scores from a low freekick. Similar to Kyle Walker's goal from yesterday.

Fletcher played well. Not sure we'll see the box-to-box player again unless he's playing within himself. He controlled midfield in a deeper position and his passing had a touch of quality.

Zaha was superb, especially in the second half. He dribbled past players for fun. I'd like to think he'll see game time over the busy Christmas period on the back of the performance.

Really pleased to see Fletch progressing, he played well in the middle and I hope to see him back in the 1st team, maybe for the FA Cup 3rd round?

Was very impressed with Janko and Varela up the right hand side, the two of them constantly switching. Janko is a tank !

Zaha needs to stop doing silly little tricks and just play football, he did have a good game though.

I think James Wilson is defintely ready for this step up from U18's, he has impressed me all season and I hope he continues to develop as he has been doing.

Ekangemene didnt look very comfortable at CB

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back