Two goals conceded from set pieces

Sideshow Bob

@IDFD touched on the two goals conceded from set pieces in another thread.

The more annoying this is we’ve been done by two set pieces. If you stop this City side from tearing you apart you can’t concede from set pieces.

Also Lukaku. His defending at set pieces? How is he so terrible? A very under rated part of RVP’s game

Mourinho will be very frustrated considering the height advantage United had over City.

I think Lukaku is a major part of the problem defensively at set pieces. He’s one of our bigger men so should be taking one of theirs but he either loses his man or flaps at the ball. Today his poor clearance cost us last weekend he almost scored an own goal but for a wonder save

Does he go back for corners with Belgium and did he do it at Everton?

I ask because he doesn’t look comfortable in our box on set pieces it’s like he’s never done it before, he allowed Otamendi to put him off on the first goal and the 2nd one was just a hack away.

You wonder if it might be better leaving him up top for set pieces going forward.

Some strikers come back and are happy to do it but he looks like a liability at the moment that said Maticgot very lucky in the first half he swung at a corner and luckily for him it dropped straight to De Gea.

Aren’t most strikers that track back to defend, told to stand near the front post and just attack the ball, as a first stage of defending? Think asking a striker to man mark at a corner just because his tall is a flawed system.

Having said that Rom’s mistake on the second goal was just inexcusable from anyone regardless of their natural position. It was just so poor.

I think it depends on the player RVP used to do front post duties but guys like Drogba were often left spare and just told to attack the ball rather than actually mark someone.

I don’t think Lukaku is marking a man he’s marking a space because he’s big.

The frustrating thing for Rom is he made mistakes that can happen but he had the chance at redemption and he blew it strikers can miss chances but those ones just have to be goals especially if you’re a £75m striker if you’ve been signed as a finisher.

Messaged my Everton supporting friend asking about defending corners and he said ‘yeah he always came back and was really good at it I don’t understand where this has come from at United every part of his game looks nervous’

Messaged my Everton supporting friend asking about defending corners and he said ‘yeah he always came back and was really good at it I don’t understand where this has come from at United every part of his game looks nervous’

Could just be nerves coming with the lack of confidence.

Was there any sign of this before the Arsenal game?

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back