Top Class Midfield Signing

Ben Townsend

Not sure if anyone remembered me banging on about Sergej Milinkovic Savic a while back, was desperate for him to come to the club and it seems like the stories are back around again ?

Or do we get Bruno Fernandes, which has seemed to go on for some time.

Or do we get Isco plus cash in return for Labile.

Ideal world we get 2 of the above if Labile goes, which is looking likely ...

I think we need 2 midfield players regardless of what pogba does. I would probably try to get Fernandes and longstaff tied up quickly. Then use the pogba money to get Savic if he goes

There's also whispers that the club are open to offers on Matic as well that could be our three first choice midfielders all gone in one summer.

We don't really know for sure what the system is are we 4-3-3 because Ole wants to be 4-3-3 or because it suits the players he had last season or because he actually sees that as his system.

If we're sticking with 4-3-3 then if Pogba goes we need 3 new midfielders.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Counts as top class? o_O

If it’s come to chasing a Chelsea reject then god help us. Also I tend to just disregard most rumours but RMC where the story originated isn’t the worst source in the world.

I am getting a really bad feeling atm. I am relatively happy at the thought of bringing in young, hungry players but I am already thinking we are struggling with that.

I don't buy this one bit the guy was a disaster in the Prem I don't know how he did in Italy but he turned up late a few times which didn't go down with people in Milan.

This move makes absolutely zero sense unless Chelsea are selling at a rock bottom price and we want to take a gamble.

The way this transfer window has gone I don't believe what any of these "normally reliable" sources are putting out as I'll be honest I don't think anyone has got a clue what we are actually up to in some ways that a good thing but in another it's frustrating as it's a license to write whatever you want.

Or do we get Savic, Fernandes and one other. Or just 3 really good midfield players because we absolutely need that.

I think we have to assume Pogba is gone so that leaves us with

Matic
Fred
McTominay
Periera

That is a really weak midfield in fact it's nothing short of a disgrace for this club to go into a season with a midfield like that and if we want to play 3 in midfield. How has Periera made his way into the first team setup he's done literally nothing in a Utd shirt and looked no more than average out on loan, McTominay at least had a positive end to the season but serious questions remain.

We're 1 month away from the season starting and it's starting to get nervous because there's no real sign of business getting done.

As far as Manchester United go.
Defence-Disgrace
Midfield-Disgrace
Attack-Disgrace

Don't get me wrong I'm a big fan of Rashford but if that's all we got then no wonder Teilemans chose Leicester that's right LEICESTER over Us.

That is a really weak midfield in fact it's nothing short of a disgrace for this club to go into a season with a midfield like that and if we want to play 3 in midfield
They have to sign at least two central midfielders, a centre back and a striker. Anything short of that and this team will struggle to finish top 6 let alone top 4 and that's the reality. Top 4 isn't going to happen so I hope the club are being realistic there. And there's absolutely zero chance we add another 3-4 players.

Top 4 s slightly possible with Chelsea's transfer ban and Arsenal being Arsenal but I think we will jsut miss out again. And that is to be expected. This needs to be a project that will last over time.

They have to sign at least two central midfielders, a centre back and a striker. Anything short of that and this team will struggle to finish top 6 let alone top 4 and that's the reality. Top 4 isn't going to happen so I hope the club are being realistic there. And there's absolutely zero chance we add another 3-4 players.

Assuming Pogba goes and the 3 players we've been strongly linked come in midfield next season

Matic
Pereira
McTominay
Longstaff
Lemina
Fernandes

Even that is a dogs dinner of a midfield obviously 3 players in there with plenty of room for improvement but we started last season with

Matic
Periera
McTominay
Fellaini
Pogba
Herrera

Comparing the two you can't really say we have improved.

If Pogba goes we need a proper box to box midfielder with the ability to create.

Matic McTominay offer very little going forward. In fact I’d only have Matic starting in the big games at home against Burnley he shouldn’t be required McTominay at least has legs moving forward.

I don’t know enough about this Fernandes but can we really pin our entire seasons hopes on him? Surely if we’re moving to a 4-2-3-1 it should be with Pogba as part of a 2 against the smaller teams and Fernandes ahead of him?

Assuming Pogba goes and the 3 players we've been strongly linked come in midfield next season

Matic
Pereira
McTominay
Longstaff
Lemina
Fernandes

Even that is a dogs dinner of a midfield obviously 3 players in there with plenty of room for improvement but we started last season with

Matic
Periera
McTominay
Fellaini
Pogba
Herrera

I don't disagree with you but I don't think we are going to get 3 midfielders in. And what about CB? And what about ST?

Matic
Pereira
McTominay
Longstaff
Lemina
Fernandes

Matic
Periera
McTominay
Fellaini
Pogba
Herrera

Amusing that you forgot Fred in both list.

Amusing that you forgot Fred in both list.

Lets be honest it's not exactly hard to do and since it's both lists it balances.

He needs to turn into Keane in his prime this season the way it's going ha.

I don't disagree with you but I don't think we are going to get 3 midfielders in. And what about CB? And what about ST?

I don't think we will either not totally convinced we'll get 2 but at least defence is improved by Wan-Bissaka coming and Valencia going and up front it's slightly better as we now have James.

Whole thing is a mess but it's obvious changing things is tough as the club won't sell players cheap and with the wages they've got players on they're pricing them out of moves.

but at least defence is improved by Wan-Bissaka coming and Valencia going and up front it's slightly better as we now have James.

Whole thing is a mess but it's obvious changing things is tough as the club won't sell players cheap and with the wages they've got players on they're pricing them out of moves
There is no way in my mind that we get 2 more and even if we do that's not enough. We need at least 4 more and that's no joke.

There is no way in my mind that we get 2 more and even if we do that's not enough. We need at least 4 more and that's no joke.

Yeah but it was never going to be sorted in summer there’s to much work to be done.

If we haven’t changed 5 players in that squad this summer it’s a failure.

This wasn’t a touch up job it was a full rebuild similar to what Klopp and Pep did they stripped things right back to the bones and almost started from scratch. That took time and a board prepared to cut losses and make tough decisions.

Utd seem to find a reason to keep players that consistently fail to meet that standard and the reason they do it is because it’s cheaper. The board are happy with CL qualification finishing 4th is now acceptable it isn’t considered failure which for a club like Utd it has to be.

Ole said today we haven’t received offers for any of our players I assume this is true, how embarrassing is that when you think about it no one is even trying to buy our players.

Yeah but it was never going to be sorted in summer there’s to much work to be done.

If we haven’t changed 5 players in that squad this summer it’s a failure.
And we knew it wasn't going to be a complete rebuild in one summer. But we absolutely needed a CB and we needed at least 2 midfielders and we aren't going to get that.

And we knew it wasn't going to be a complete rebuild in one summer. But we absolutely needed a CB and we needed at least 2 midfielders and we aren't going to get that.

Yeah but we also needed a right back and a winger and a striker and a keeper if De Gea left the problem was the list kept getting bigger especially once we knew Herrera was going and then Pogba wanted out. Luckily it looks like De Gea might stay now.

You can only bring players in once you've moved players out. The first team playing squad at Utd is massive and it needs cutting before you can bring new faces in the pit on money isn't bottomless books have to be balanced, that's what frustrates me about new contracts for players like Jones & Mata we simply had to be tough and let players who are not of the standard leave keeping them means they won't be replaced.

I think a new centre back may still come but for that to happen an existing one needs to leave but we can't sell Rojo as no one wants to buy him.

You can only bring players in once you've moved players out. The first team playing squad at Utd is massive and it needs cutting before you can bring new faces in the pit on money isn't bottomless books have to be balanced, that's what frustrates me about new contracts for players like Jones & Mata we simply had to be tough and let players who are not of the standard leave keeping them means they won't be replaced.
Then the club need to accept mediocrity for a few years. They've been trying to get rid of the dead wood for years but nobody wants those players. So if that's stalling our major rebuild then we may as well pack it up right now.

Nobody wants Rojo at the price we apparently want and I don't blame them. He's played something like 8 league games in the last two years. And he's not going to want to take a big pay cut because we've overpaid him. It's a complete shambles.

This was another massive summer for the club and again it's heading towards being a disaster. Two players in and we are now on tour. The deadline only about 4 weeks away for us too. I can't see more than two signings and even then I think it'll be just one. So this team better be prepared for 7th or 8th because that'll be where we are at with only one or two more additions.

We absolutely must get a CB, can not miss there. We absolutely must get at least 2 CMs and I think a striker. And that's just to compete for top 4!

I'll be totally honest under these owner we'll never get back to the very top because we are a 100% business focused club now not a 100% winning focused club we are competing with clubs who only exist to win and at best break even. The football success side of the club has been totally put to one side as long as profits remain high and share price remains high the culture and decision makers at the club won't change because the owners/shareholders are happy.

Asking £25m for a guy on high wages is bonkers. If the rumours of £160k a week are true Rojo is probably one of the top 5 paid centre backs in the league who's going to take that sort of salary on. I'd be surprised if there's any centre backs outside of Utd in the league earning that sort of money only one I reckon at top 6 who could top it is David Luiz and maybe Van Dijk. Wouldn't surprise me if he's top earner out of the centre backs at Utd again if that rumour is true even if it's not having secured a renewal likelihood is he's on parity with our other players.

I do think things will happen but I said this last summer and all we did was buy Fred & Dalot and sell Blind plus Carrick retired and it sent Mourinho into meltdown. If things don't get done I hope Ole turns to finger at the board quickly he needs to come out about it but it won't happen.

Rojo is on £80k that came out when the wiki leaks stuff happened. Smalling and Jones rumoured to be on £120k.

Surely as money men they can see that these players aren’t leaving and just getting them out the door will save £6m rather than more on them. I mean the new deals for Jones and Smalling committed another £24m each to them as rumoured. Ridiculous.

The football success side of the club has been totally put to one side as long as profits remain high and share price remains high the culture and decision makers at the club won't change because the owners/shareholders are happy.
But the football side of things and success on the field is fundamental to the profits. The share price I believe has taken a bit of a hit or not increased as per previous years. A club can't continue to make money when its an average mid table team.

Rojo is on £80k that came out when the wiki leaks stuff happened. Smalling and Jones rumoured to be on £120k.

Surely as money men they can see that these players aren’t leaving and just getting them out the door will save £6m rather than more on them. I mean the new deals for Jones and Smalling committed another £24m each to them as rumoured. Ridiculous.

That was his original contract wasn't it? The WikiLeaks stuff was all about third party ownership with Doyen he's had a renewal since then.

They are money men but the important thing to remember is lose Jones for nothing and buy a replacement at say £40m plus £5m a year over 4 years is £60m or give Jones a new deal at £25m and hope that at some point someone comes along and buys him. Keeping Jones is the correct business call if you're interested in making money (keeping staff costs down) it's the wrong football call because it just means more of the same no progress.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back