Tony Pulis sacked by WBA

jsp

Top Poster Of Month
Tony Pulis: West Brom sack manager after Chelsea defeat

Not really surprising the locals had been on his case for a while as they were sick of watching his team play and once the results tail off playing that sort of football it's curtains.

Bet Coleman is kicking himself now as that would've been perfect for him.

Would Michael O'Neill get a shot? The Northern Ireland manager obviously knows 3 of the players from the national team but you would imagine the owners will want someone with a bit more of a proven record.

Will it be out of the frying pan and into the fire with Allardyce?

I hope they don't just go for old British manager if they're going to go for a British manager give it to someone young who's doing something in the Championship and given him a chance to prove himself.

Dyche could be a contender would be a lot closer to home for him as he lives near Northampton and commutes to Burnley but he doesn't seem like the kind of guy who'd walk away mid season but WBA have much more in terms of resources than Burnley.

Wherever they go English or Foreign I just hope they go for a manager who wants to play attacking football far to many clubs are just trying to play safe now and it leads to boring matches most of the time.

I think that makes it 5 of the 20 clubs that have sacked their managers?

Palace
Leicester
West Ham
Everton
West Brom

Yep that's 25% of clubs on to the 2nd mangers already.

Pulis is great at what he does he will keep you up but he'll do it playing awful football and there must come a point where even as a West Brom or Stoke fan you must think why am I paying £500 a season to watch this because there's zero entertainment value apart from the 1 or 2 big scalps you take every season when a big team turn up and don't fancy it.

The only weapon the owners really have now is to sack the manager and hope a new guy can lift spirits and get results but they'll always go for safety first managers as all they care about is staying in the league because of the TV money.

Probably the right time to go, Pulis’ cautious approach and unwilling to try something new has cost him here. His tactics are outdated and uninspiring. He always plays with three defensive midfielders and it’s just so cautious. They were going nowhere fast with Pulis in charge so good time to cut ties.

Who knows who the replacement could be. Doubt they’d want to replace an old timer like Pulis with Allardyce but you do never know. Don’t think they’ll get Dyche jsp, think Burnley are on the crest of a wave and doubt he’d want to leave for a similar club. Michael O’Neill could be a good bet but untried at club level. I’m racking my brain to come up with other names ... Wilder at Sheffield Utd? Giggs? It’s anyones guess right now.

Probably the right time to go, Pulis’ cautious approach and unwilling to try something new has cost him here. His tactics are outdated and uninspiring. He always plays with three defensive midfielders and it’s just so cautious. They were going nowhere fast with Pulis in charge so good time to cut ties.

Who knows who the replacement could be. Doubt they’d want to replace an old timer like Pulis with Allardyce but you do never know. Don’t think they’ll get Dyche jsp, think Burnley are on the crest of a wave and doubt he’d want to leave for a similar club. Michael O’Neill could be a good bet but untried at club level. I’m racking my brain to come up with other names ... Wilder at Sheffield Utd? Giggs? It’s anyones guess right now.

To an extent you aren't going to teach an old dog new tricks Pulis knows what works and his tried and trusted method gets you somewhere between 11th and 17th every season, it's highly structured organised defensive football design to keep the games low scoring. Expecting a guy at his age to do something else is crazy he's one of the favourites for the Wales job so that might be his future but if I was Welsh I'd rather they gave Giggs or another young Welsh coach a chance it worked with Hughes, Speed and helped repair Coleman's reputation after a few dodgy club jobs.

I think you can get behind Pulis in the first season as he rescues you and keeps you up but there's no step up after that because he has no plans to build on it he just buys players who can play Pulis football better.

West Brom historically and probably in terms of budget and infrastructure are way ahead of Burnley so even though the league says different it would be a step up but I agree not a massive one you might be jumping 1 step up the stairs you're not jumping 3 or 4 steps.

Wilder I think will be a PL manager next season but he's a lifelong Sheff Utd fan who's in his dream job so I think he'll stay this season with them if they miss our on promotion he might take the step up. Gary Rowett has done well at a few clubs in the Championship & Monk did great with Swansea but he's only just taken over at Middlesbrough so they'd probably have to pay quite a bit in compensation.

I could see them trying to pluck someone out of the Championship like Wilder or Monk but there are so many names being linked in the betting stakes. Vieira, McInnes and Ranieri are a couple of interesting names linked with the job.

Don’t think he’ll be getting the Wales job, they have a few exciting youngsters coming through so think they may want a younger coach like Giggs to mould them. Like you say it worked with Hughes, Speed and Coleman.

They need a manager like Howe from Bournemouth I'd say, an ambitious, younger guy who wants to break the mold of organised defensive football a la Pulis, Woy and Allardyce. I don't watch or follow the championship but there must be somebody out there like that.

Also, seems odd to me Giggs hasn't got involved with club in the Championship yet to get some games under his belt. Is he waiting for an opening like Zidane got lol

They need a manager like Howe from Bournemouth I'd say, an ambitious, younger guy who wants to break the mold of organised defensive football a la Pulis, Woy and Allardyce. I don't watch or follow the championship but there must be somebody out there like that.

Also, seems odd to me Giggs hasn't got involved with club in the Championship yet to get some games under his belt. Is he waiting for an opening like Zidane got lol

I agree but there's a problem with that Howe will need time to rebuild the squad which could mean relegation then trusting Howe to bring them straight back up. No owner is going to take that gamble so they'll hire the next fire fighter manager who's available to try and keep themselves in the league so they don't lose out on the TV money that is the motivation of owners now.

Absolute number 1 priority for all owners don't get relegated even if fans stop coming and attendances drop if you keep the team up you are happy because the TV money is the bulk of the revenue for the business so you need it to make a profit which is what owners want.

Bilic has turned down the chance to talk to the owners.

Seems so backwards surely you ask people to apply for the job then go through the CV's and do a short list for interview then appoint the best guy.

Football clubs seem to do recruitment all wrong even if you ignore the traditional method for hiring someone before you sack the manager you have the replacement guy in place unless things are so bad that the current managers position is untenable.

The fact Bilic is even being asked would concern me that West Ham team haven't looked fit in 18 months and they've looked without a plan I think he totally fluked that first season with Payet just lucky to be in the right place at the right time.

Forgot to say Pardew is an odds on favourite with the bookies.

For all his faults and he has lots I think he's a good fit plays similar football to Pulis with maybe a bit more attacking intent tends to get things going short term before everyone gets sick of him and it all falls apart.

It's just a managerial merry go round, an ever revolving doors of managers replacing each other.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back