Tom Cleverley | Match Performance Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I preferred a Cleverley pass from the second half. From a corner the ball fell to him at the edge of Ajax's, he then clipped a pass into the penalty area.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Fergie on Cleverley: "He's a clever footballer and he has a quick brain in terms of his passing. Last week an hour was fantastic for him after that long spell out. Hopefully he'll play a full game tomorrow. He's back and it's good to have him back. He gives us more ammunition in the midfield area, which was an area some people were worried about. Anderson's back training with the first team now as well."

Tonight is why we shouldn't place too much on his shoulders, don't think he was helped by Park playing with him in CM.

Tom Cleverley has a valid recognition in the football world , due to his own talent, which is undeniable. United must direct his talents in the right direction, in which, I completely rely on Alex Ferguson .

Found it tough the other night. Clearly hasn't regained full fitness though.

Intrigued to see how Cleverley, Carrick, Rooney and Welbeck/Chicharito combine when they eventually have a run in the team. Earlier in the season when Cleverley was available it was noticeably at times (when we had possession) that Rooney would drop deep into midfield and Cleverley would play in '10'.

Poorest game for us so far? He isn't fully match fit yet and playing against that lot was going to be difficult but his passing was terrible

Yep, definitely. To put a positive spin the game will be a steep learning experience for him. Bilbao's players got very close to him not allowing him to turn. Don't know why he played on the right but that doesn't excuse his average passing.

Showed glimpses but found it tough. Fitness probably is the main issue. Wasn't the worst though.

Thought Cleverley was excellent tonight. He's benefitted from having competitive games at the Olympics. I agree with Jason's mobility comment in the matchday thread - this will another dimension. Very, and I mean very excited by the potential of our front six next seaon.

Indeed. Could really do with extra depth and a bit more quality in midfield though. When Carrick's not available I would worry. We have no one to cover him. Perfect CM partner. A great team player, makes everyone's job easier and allows more freedom for his CM partner.

Anderson was good next to Cleverley tonight again but I don't think the pairing is something we can stick with, as we saw last season when they were together, we allowed too many shots at goal. Carrick gives protection to the back 4. We could do with someone else like this.

I think Cleverley could make a massive difference next season provided he stays fit. He looked a lot more solid defensively during the Olympics. Seems to have learned to play the deeper role much more effectively compared to the beginning of last season but he's still got the ability to interchange with Kagawa.

Cleverley is a massive boost to our squad. Undoubtedly a very gifted player, we need him to be on top form if we want our #20-th.

Going to be hard for Sir Alex to choose who plays Centre Mid vs Everton! In fact, it'll be hard to pick the team as a whole, especially in the attacking positions!

Assuming United play the 4-2-3-1 formation, then where would Cleverley fit in there? Alongside Scholes, perhaps? I read in an article somewhere SAF is thinking about putting Carrick in a central defender position, beside Vidic.

Vidic and Ferdinand will play in centre defence, Carrick will be used in midfield probably with Cleverley. Fergie said Carrick will be used as centre half backup since Evans, Smalling and Jones are unfit.

Depending on injuries to others, i’d expect Scholes to feature less regularly this season with one of the other midfielders, probably Cleverley taking over and playing alongside Carrick. Sounds like Anderson did well tonight again(?), was much more impressed with him against Hannover, some cracking passes.

^ I hope our other midfielders do perform and up their game and maintain their fitness. It was all over the media about the statistics of the team's play with Scholes and without him. Scholes was pivotal last season, I believe.

And hopefully Cleverley's injury woes last season won't be repeated this time 'round.

Yeah he was outstanding, him and Carrick the two best players on the pitch which is promising. Very big season for Cleverley and there's some really encouraging signs so far.

Was pretty average but wasn't given many options going forward when we had the ball. Dealt pretty well with the pressing of Everton and got stuck in defensively.

I'm not sure what everyone's problem was with him and Scholes, good individual performances just not good as a partnership, missed Carrick in midfield as I said we would in that "Why we don't need a midfielder" thread. Scholes is a genius, Cleverley's a good young player, don't see it as a partnership though, which is worrying if Carrick gets injured long term.

I think the lack of a left winger and Nani not being on his wing at any point were bigger problems than the partnership. Took Scholes till nearly the 90th minute to play a long pass to a winger. Given time I think they can play together, although obviously Carrick and Cleverley would be the preferred pairing as he offers better defensive cover, they kept the ball well enough but I'm always a bit worried when Scholes plays away from home due to him not having the legs anymore.

Question: Given their partnership at the start of last season, should Anderson have started ahead of Scholes or come on for Scholes instead of Cleverley?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back