Tom Cleverley | Match Performance Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before the game, would anyone have put money on a CM pairing of Cleverley and Ando outplaying a very muscular City midfield of De Jong and Yaya Toure? Forget about pre-season friendlies, though last night was just one of them as well, it certainly was played like a competitive fixture and our Cleverley in particular showed that he is ready for the big time. He may suffer a dip in the second-half of the season or in his second season, which is expected, but he showed enough last night that he really is the real deal. There is a star quality in him which marks him out for the big time. In terms of playing style, his short and tidy passing game and his ability to appear at the edge of the penalty box reminds me of Scholes; all he has to do is to improve on his longer range passing and shooting ability.

England call for Cleverley

Skysports.com understands Manchester United midfielder Tom Cleverley has been called up to the England squad for Wednesday's friendly against Holland.
Cleverley is back at United after spending last season on loan at Wigan Athletic and he impressed as a second-half substitute in Sunday's Community Shield win over Manchester City.
The youngster has previously represented England's Under 21s, but has been drafted into the senior squad for the first time by coach Fabio Capello.

More to follow...

Cleverley was impressive yesterday, he's fantastic on the ball. No doubt about it.

Will never get sick of seeing the replay of our second goal. It's been a while since we are able to score goals like that.

In the video above, see 4:38, who does that remind you of?

Gutted for Tom that the game is off but it's the right decision to call it off. He'll get other chances if he continues to play like he did on Sunday.

That was a good read. I have high hopes for Cleverley. I don't expect him to burst into the team from nowhere and be our answer but I do hope he can stake a claim over the next season or two. He has so much enthusiasm and has a lot of capabilities for a footballer of smaller stature. His pass and go game is great and the same has to be said about his vision when passing.

I would love to see more of him this season.

I can see him have a Hernandez type season, where he starts out more as a sub but he'll impress so much when he gets chances that Fergie will have no choice but to play him. Not saying he'll have as much effect as Hernandez did but his season will be very similar to that of Chicha's last season.

That would be great if that happened. I really rate Cleverley. Same with a few other fringe players and youth players.

I too am a big fan of Cleverley, I remember going down to Vicarage Road with my mate who's a Watford fan to watch them play Preston when he was on loan there in 09/10. It was clear after the first 5 minutes he was the best player on the pitch and he scored in that game too and Watford won 2-0.

I just hope he's given a real chance in the first team this season not just a handful of carling cup games I get the feeling Fergie's still not 100% convinced over him

Quiet first half along with Welbeck but in the second half Spurs couldnt handle the pace and movement. Was always looking to win the ball back and play it quickly. Fantastic assist.

Good to hear this, didn't see much of him as he went off but he looked full of energy. The front 6 looks fecking brilliant together going forward.

Him and Anderson are keeping up their great partnership, unlucky not score on one occasion.

Bossed Ramsey out of the game... Looks more and more similar to Scholesy by the game

He's been combining well with Ando in midfield, but there have been gaps at the back when they both get forwrd but once they gt used to playing together that shouldn't be a problem. Cleverley's continuous movement with or without the ball is refreshing to see in midfield, he's a busy player and makes it very hard to man-mark also. Will improve a lot more and we'll be seeing a lot more of him this season. But i think in big games Sir Alex might drop him and bring in Fletcher and Carrick and go for a 3 man midfield?

Kevin Davies is still a dirty fecker then. Gutted for Tom. Hope it's not too serious.

Edit: Fergie - "Looks like a broken bone. We'll have to wait and see."

Cleverley: "Got the scan tomorrow, thanks for the comments! so angry right now, want everyone to know I got no apology from kevin davies! season could be over and received no apology."

Had the same expression as the bolton kid when i read Tom's post

14mxc10.jpg

i was fuming after i saw the tackle, and was even more furious when i saw owen coyle come out protesting that Tom made a meal of it!! Davies is a fecking ****!

dissapointing to have both of our top youngsters out injured!! Hopefully like Welbeck, Clev's injury isn't as bad as we initially thought!

There has been an overreaction to Davies' tackle. It was a tough tackle for sure, not two footed or studs showing, Davies catches Cleverley with his trailing foot. It's just unfortunate Cleverley has broken his foot. United legends Keane and Scholes have both made equally or worse tackles than Davies' tackle on Cleverley.

Davies' tackle on Evra was worse and MotD didn't even pick up on it, Shearer decided to say "not a malicious player" which is bollocks because he's been at it for years.

Very clumsy on Cleverley but to get away with that challenge on Evra was ridiculous, I can only assume he wouldn't have gotten away with it had it not been for the score.

Great news. I'd say Fletcher will have a few games under his belt by that time so there will be healthy competition in the middle when he returns

Indeed, also possible I think with 3 games a week that Jones may even get a game (if needed) in midfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back