Toby Alderweireld

A saga! Alderweireld determined to force Manchester United move - Football365

Seen a few suggesting he’s still the number 1 target and Utd are hoping Levy agrees to drop the price at the last minute if a replacement can be found which seems to be the problem for Spurs they don’t want any of our players would they want Mina?

One freelancer on twitter even reported deal had been agreed.

One issue for Utd is if they sign Alderwiereld, Everton will likely sign Mina meaning the Rojo deal collapses and we end up with 6 first team CBs in our squad as Rojo apparently has rejected Wolves as an option.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It's being reported most places now. Looks like it's on.

Imagine we get Maguire too lol

It's being reported most places now. Looks like it's on.

Imagine we get Maguire too lol

My guess is Maguire was an alternative but when Leicester told us 100% not for sale Utd knew they’d be paying more for him than Spurs would eventually sell Alderwiereld for.

Will be interesting to see if this means we now back away from Mina unless 3 are going out there really isn’t room for 2 to come in.

Word is that wait is down to Spurs trying to find a replacement. Once they do, it happens and Rojo goes to Everton.

Also talk that we want Mina aswell as Alderweireld. Possible that Mina goes to Everton to be a definite starter which may then leave Rojo having to move to Wolves or abroad.

Lots of possible outcomes if one deal happens.

If 2 come in surely 2 go out we can't go into the season with 6 first team CB's, that would be mental.

Some rumours that Lyon are also in for Mina and Everton are his 3rd choice of the options he currently has if Utd pull out then he's likely to try and push a move to Lyon over Everton but it's unlikely that Lyon will match the Everton bid.

As for Rojo reports are he's happy to go to Everton but he's not prepared to sign for Wolves and there are some rumours of interest from clubs in Europe.

If 2 come in surely 2 go out we can't go into the season with 6 first team CB's, that would be mental.

Some rumours that Lyon are also in for Mina and Everton are his 3rd choice of the options he currently has if Utd pull out then he's likely to try and push a move to Lyon over Everton but it's unlikely that Lyon will match the Everton bid.

As for Rojo reports are he's happy to go to Everton but he's not prepared to sign for Wolves and there are some rumours of interest from clubs in Europe.

Back 3?

It's been eerily quiet for everyone really except Liverpool. It has to explode into a transfer frenzy any minute now. One decent transfer will spark the merry go round

It's been eerily quiet for everyone really except Liverpool. It has to explode into a transfer frenzy any minute now. One decent transfer will spark the merry go round

I can't see it bud. We've left it too late and it's not going to happen now in my opinion.

Maybe but still think 5 is enough for a back 3 really if you're playing a back 4 you only need 4 CB's if it was me trying to sort the squad out my target this summer would've been 1 in and 2 out. Sign a guy you think is your number 1 and sell the guys you consider to be 4 and 5.

Feels like it's getting to late in the day now Spurs don't appear to be getting linked to anyone as a replacement for Alderwiereld so can't see them selling could we put them on to Mina or offer them Rojo.

Changes every day and could still change yet but all the talk today is that another signing is unlikely.
Our net spend in years where we have finished in the top four the previous season:
2013/14: £27.5m
2015/16: £30m
2018/19: £50m*

Club are happy with Top 4 and that is unacceptable. They've no interest in how the team plays, Woodward has even said this. And now it seems they're not even bothered if we don't win trophies providing we get top 4.

Club are happy with Top 4 and that is unacceptable. They've no interest in how the team plays, Woodward has even said this. And now it seems they're not even bothered if we don't win trophies providing we get top 4.

I think those quotes from Woodward are twisted sometimes he said on an investor call that the the club are fairly resiliant financially to a lack of success used Liverpool as an example saying they've been able to grow their commercial revenues despite no league title in 25 years and no trophy in 10 years.

Top 4 has been the minimum requirement at the club ever since the Glazers come in the CL money was/is crucial to managing the debt and allowing the club to invest each summer in the playing squad and realistically that isn't much difference to how it was under the PLC once the CL expanded.

What we had was a manager who knew how to fine tune the machine and get the absolute maximum out of it at all times and I have no doubt Fergie acted as the Glazer's puppet at times with his whole no value in the market quotes when the truth was Utd didn't have the budget to sign top players when the debts were much bigger.

For the owners, shareholders and therefore the board Utd is and will always be treated like a business I think they know that remain profitable they need to compete but they also know that they don't really need to win every year as fan loyalty can be relied on it's what makes sports teams so attractive to investors. However, brands only want to attach themselves to the best Utd have premium brand deals locked in for long term but say in 5 years when we renegotiate our shirt deals again if we've still not won the league again or CL I don't think Utd will be getting offers that are comparable to what Barca/Madrid etc are getting.

Back to the topic I think trying to buy players this summer has been way harder than ever before for 2 reasons.

1) The market is still trying to adjust itself for the madness of the Neymar deal last summer.
2) The ludicrous decision by the PL to close it's window 3 weeks before the rest of Europe.

A specific problem to Utd is I don't think our scouts and manager have selected realistic targets that we can actually afford it sounds like Jose left the list on Woodward's desk then went on holiday surely that list should be discussed at a meeting with the board, manager, scouts etc all sitting and agreeing a strategy for getting these deals done. From the sound of it the scouts produced a list of who they felt the 10 best defenders in the world were and Utd have spent the summer going down the list trying to sign each one of them which would be a pathetic attempt at a transfer strategy/plan.

Toby Alderweireld says he was never close to Tottenham exit

Sounds like a bit of generic PR stuff to get fans back on site.

If Spurs offered him the sort of money he's after I reckon he would stay but the reality is they aren't so he will look to move as he's got to cash in on his career now if the offers are there he's had no problem moving around.

Utd's board seem to have ruled out this move but if the price is down to £25m next summer will Mourinho be able to push through that deal if he's still around? There were rumours that Spurs were prepared to sell at £35m so to me it sounds like he's just not considered good enough by our transfer team which is madness. He had some injury issues last season but he's been one of the best centre backs in the league ever since he arrived.

Would that matter if Utd are offering £50k more than he is earning now on a 3 year deal?

I think he'd stay to the end of the season but a cut price deal is £25m that's the minimum Spurs will accept in January or this summer because of that clause in his contract. If it was £35m in the summer my guess is they'd want £30m in Jan but he'd cup tied in Europe.

Reality is if Woodward wouldn't approve the purchase in the summer he's not going to change his mind now as he'd look like even more of an idiot as he'd be admitting he's wrong as he doesn't think this guy is better than Lindelof which just shows why he should not be making football decisions or talking to the media.

If Woodward doesn't think signing Alderwierald would improve our team he needs removing from all footballing sides of his role.

If Woodward doesn't think signing Alderwierald would improve our team he needs removing from all footballing sides of his role.

Well based on that article the guy from the Guardian wrote when he did his little chat with the press after the transfer window closed he basically said he didn't want to sign Alderwiereld as he felt it would be like replacing our 5th choice centre back with another 5th choice centre back.

I don't know if that's his own opinion or that of someone within the scouting network he trusts but I don't really see how anyone comes to that conclusion as Alderwiereld would walk into this team.

Woodward wanted Varane, another huge money Galactic signing. He didn't want to come so Woodward had a strop. We should have bought Alderwerield, but at 75m and six months later 25m you can kind of see why he didn't. We should have bought Maguire though.

I see this lack of a signing working out as Jose's end within 2 months and the worst decision the club could make in the signing of Zidane, that's the type of deal Woodwrd likes. Instant news to raise the share price.

Woodward wanted Varane, another huge money Galactic signing. He didn't want to come so Woodward had a strop. We should have bought Alderwerield, but at 75m and six months later 25m you can kind of see why he didn't. We should have bought Maguire though.

I see this lack of a signing working out as Jose's end within 2 months and the worst decision the club could make in the signing of Zidane, that's the type of deal Woodwrd likes. Instant news to raise the share price.

Woodward claimed the money was there for a Varane type signing they sniffed around Umtiti while he was negotiating his new deal and apparently he was happy to sign off on Godin but the player decided to stay with Atletico. It does seem that he likes the idea of a big name and how he can sell that rather than is he actually good at football.

The reports are that Utd never even approached Spurs for Alderwiereld and the talk that emerged after the window closed was that Spurs were willing to sell at £35m a figure Utd knew but weren't prepared to go to as certain people in the club didn't rate him. Think Woodward claimed the only conversation we had with Spurs all summer was Spurs approaching Utd about signing one of our players most people suggest that was Martial.

Bringing in Zidane does nothing to the share price our share price is not really effected by changes in the football appointments or signings it's effected by business decision after a fairly low spending summer our share price goes up probably because investors like to see money stay in the business as profits mean dividends. The only thing that would effect our share price from a football side of things is not qualifying for CL next season as that massively dents our revenues for the following year or suddenly buying/selling a lot of players as investors are looking at business performance not football performance.

Where Zidane is attractive is he didn't seem to want to bring in loads of players at Madrid. He was happy working with what he has but the major difference is what he had was a massive group of absolute world class talent who just needed shaping into a team at Utd he won't get that we will need to buy and sell players which is why I think putting him in would be a big gamble. The gamble is can Zidane squeeze more out of what is already there than the current manager who has a number of high profile players who are under performing.

Alderwerield would definitley have strenghtened us, I can see his age might be a problem to the board, but he would have made a huge difference. I think in this instance they should have broken their preferred formula of young up and coming talent.

I agree but I think someone decided they know better and having given him Matic & Sanchez in the last 12 months maybe they felt adding one more experienced player with low re-sale value was to risky.

I'd be questioning the players motivation for leaving Spurs to come to Utd if I was an exec to me it's obvious he's chasing the money and we've been burned by that recently most notably by Schweinstieger.

I think we were desperate for a ready made centre back solution the concern with Alderwiereld are the same I have with Sanchez have we signed them just as they're starting to decline rather than signing a player for his peak years? The peak years options was Maguire but he was not for sale.

We are screaming out for a 25-26 year old established centre back ideally with some PL experience who can organise that defence.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Spurs exercise Alderweireld contract option until 2020 - Football365

This is an interesting one he will be 30 in the summer £25m these days is chump change for top clubs signing players but with wages would a club take the risk on him? Speed is vital for centre backs now especially top teams who like to push up rather than sit back.

I guess it depends on what him and the agent want on top of the fee as to where he ends up.

Story has appeared in the papers today suggesting Spurs have all but accepted he's going to Utd this summer.

Assuming Rojo is off if we did sign Alderwiereld then I think that would be it for Bailly next season.

Do we think Alderwiereld is a significant improvement on Smalling?

I do, I think he'd bring some confidence and leadership

And our CB are so injury prone. Get rid of two and bring him in

Week before a European final he's obviously not going to drop any bombshells.

I think the Sanchez experience might have put Utd off this one getting someone experienced but relatively cheap and putting them on a bumper salary is a gamble and our ability to spot the risk in these deals is not good.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back