Title race

Well whatever happens we go to Anfield level on points with em. Possibly 3 ahead and top of the league.

Anfield will be a massive game regardless but if it meant the difference between being level again or putting 6 points between us..... then.... well... this is what we live for. Get intae them.

Reading again what l said, l went too far. It was harsher than l meant.
Just kept seeing, “we’re not in a title race”. You are.
It is between the 3 of you. I still don’t think Ole’s long term, that hasn’t changed. But right now he’s doing great.
I don’t think Utd will finish top, but l’m often wrong.
You can definitely win this.
IDFD, l take your point about flip-flopping. I would still pick Liverpool, but, with the season being condensed and their injuries, it might not go their way.
One thing l disagree with you on is regarding no CL football. I think that hurts you. The EL can mean long away trips, and, of course, Thursday night football.
So, flip-flopping?... perhaps.
But you seem to have gone the other way.
And, jsp... l would never tip Spurs. In fact l told you weeks ago they weren’t a threat to United.
They won’t make top 4. In my opinion.
What was it Delia said? “Let’s be having you!!!”.

In terms of the Europa I just mean it's an easier competition to play a complete second 11 in and not care about to focus on the league as oppose to the champions League.

I don't need a reminder the bloke was unreal that season I was at his first home game the goal vs Fulham was a finish I couldn't believe and he never looked back but it did just fizzle out.

I know you've got a few years on me but if I'm building a Utd side strikers wise it's a choice between Cantona, Cole, Rooney and RVN because doing it season after season counts for a lot when you're building your "greatest" side.
No Ronnie?

That result really has put the cat amongst the pigeons.

not really, 4 or 5 games ago Ole was getting sacked, City were struggling and Cheslea and Spurs flying.

Half the season to go

It's all about getting as many points as you can. We will drop lots more points too.

To read anything into the table or certain results at this point is folly.

Oh come on let's be slightly optimistic!

Yes we will drop a lot of points but we've put ourselves in a great position and at the half way stage will be right in the mix.

Not sure why Klopp started banging on about penalties. The ones he was talking about even Carragher said weren't penalties.

I'm not being not optimistic at all.

Just pointing out last nights result doesn't change anything. Just like if we lost it's not all over. It's just the same as as coming out against all the doom mongers when we lose.

We have a great chance this season, but that result does not put the cat amongst the pigeons. It changes nothing.

Just heard TAA misplaced 31 passes before being subbed, the most ever in a prem match. His form is a definite worry for them.

Klopp is rattled you can tell he is moaning about penalties when this season they've had 5 and we've had 6 it seems to be the current flavour of the month to talk about all the penalties we get it's an easy deflection. Mourinho has had a pop and now Klopp has but with VAR if you run at people in the box you will get penalties. Ole has got to avoid rising to the bait they're testing out his mind games now but Ole seems to be a guy who keeps his cool.

It really is up for grabs this season Liverpool have been weakened by the injuries no doubt we're in the hunt along with a few others the table changes quickly but it's all about staying in that race until there's 10 games to go.

It doesn't look like a season where one team will pull away if Utd can go to Anfield and avoid defeat that would be big if we could get a win it would be huge. Not only would it be a massive boost for us but it would end their unbeaten streak at home which would give other teams the confidence to go there.

Oh I agree anyone of Liverpool, two Manchester clubs, Leicester, Spurs maybe Everton could win. Cheslea too if they can turn it around. It's going to be a great season. But don't anything that happens in Jan is really going to affect anything, unless a club goes on a really bad run.

I don't think Klopp going on about penalties is anything different to what Fergie would do. Even as a united fan I am surprised at the amount we have, and some of them are very soft.

Course things that happen in January will have an effect. Dropping 7 points in 3 games in January is just as crucial as dropping 7 points in 3 games in April. They all count. Let the media whip up some hysteria regarding Liverpool and put some pressure on them for once.

You can't win the title in January but you can certainly hamper your chances of winning it. After us they've got Burnley, Tottenham, West Ham, Brighton, City, Leicester, Everton. Not a nice run of games to be going in to out of form.

I think there's a clear tactic from Utd to look for penalties we have lots of players who like to dribble into the box and across the box and look for the leg as a defender you only have to make one mistake and it's curtains.

Leicester have had 10 pens this season which is mad and generally teams are getting a lot more penalties because of VAR spotting any contact and the way the handball rule was applied at the start of the season.

It's all mind games and deflection from Klopp he knows by mentioning the pens it'll change the headlines away from his side getting beaten Ole just needs to ignore it and keep getting on with his job.

No doubt Liverpool will have got a soft penalty this season as will we but those are the breaks we've had 3 or 4 given against us this season as well so not like it's all 1 way traffic.

Course things that happen in January will have an effect. Dropping 7 points in 3 games in January is just as crucial as dropping 7 points in 3 games in April. They all count. Let the media whip up some hysteria regarding Liverpool and put some pressure on them for once.
The point I'm making, and I'm sure you know this, Liverpool losing last night does not throw the cat amungst the pigeons. It changes nothing, they are still top ffs. So lets just calm down, a month ago most on here wanted Ole sacked.

As for the losing run you mention, I also mentioned that so I don't see your point.

We've had to put up with them sweeping all before them over the last 2 years. Lets enjoy them dropping points coinciding with us winning several on the bounce. You're allowed to get caught up in the emotion of it all and actually enjoy these moments.

It also changes a bit. They're now a net third as oppose to net first once the games in hand are out of the way. It changes the pressure situations. If we'd gone to Anfield 3 behind a draw wasn't a great result. You go to Anfield 3 ahead and you can take the draw before a ball is kicked. Theres a lot less pressure on knowing you can't end up 6 behind too. It also gives our players a confidence boost and bit of belief heading in to the game against Burnley. All these little things matter in a close campaign.

To say them dropping 9 points against Fulham, West Brom, Newcastle and Southampton doesn't matter isn't true. These are the sort of chances people don't expect them to give up with the form they've been in over the last 2 years.

You can't win a title before Christmas but you can certainly lose it.

I posted earlier was watching a bit of Premiership Years over Xmas and it was the season Leicester won the title after 15 games Utd were in an almost identical position to this season similar numbers of points on the board to what we had this season and in that season after 15 games Man City were top.

What happened next was out of nowhere Utd totally blew up we couldn't score any goals n the next 5 games I think we lost 3 and drew 2 and just like that the title race was over as Leicester started pulling away and we ended up 5th.

It was a similar story in 2017-18 when after 15 games Utd were still clinging on to City but then we had a wobble and they raced away and never looked back we ended up 2nd but almost 20 points off City who had a crazy season scoring 100 points.

I'm super excited, don't get me wrong, but I don't think we have enough to win the league yet. But I will enjoy this. I also don't expect Liverpool to fall away becuase they've had a bad run. You could argue if they start winning that their bad run is out the way and they are still top.
This is going to be the part of the season that our awful summer window could come to haunt us, that RW position to give us a bit more attack. If we we win our next games up to and including the Liverpool game then I might start believing a bit more.

What I am enjoying most is, I am hearing a lot on TV, Ole deserves credit. And he does. He's doing brilliantly with this squad.

I’m not getting too carried away but what if I did ?? We haven’t been in a position that if we pick up more points then the rest “like the whole of last year we did” then we win our 21 PL , probably not gunna happen but we haven’t been this excited in years so long may it continue!

Liverpool won it last season, the government has spent the best part of the last year paying people not to work.
There's a scouser wandering about somewhere with a lamp wondering what to do with his last wish. That's what worries me!

Simply yes United are in a title race. Liverpool are still rightly favourites but United are absolutely in the mix.

The biggest thing for United now is just making sure they don't go on a bad run.

United started the year badly and so as a result this patch of good form as meant they've been playing catch up whilst Liverpool have had a little patch of bad form. If United now hit a bad patch and Liverpool got some wins under their belt then they'd pull away and it probably would be over at that point.

Simply yes United are in a title race. Liverpool are still rightly favourites but United are absolutely in the mix.

The biggest thing for United now is just making sure they don't go on a bad run.

United started the year badly and so as a result this patch of good form as meant they've been playing catch up whilst Liverpool have had a little patch of bad form. If United now hit a bad patch and Liverpool got some wins under their belt then they'd pull away and it probably would be over at that point.
Agreed, we need to make hay while the sun shines, I think Liverpools form will naturally pick up once they get players back off injury, now we need to rack up the points. I'd like to see us 6 pts ahead by the end of January to stand a good chance.

Agreed, we need to make hay while the sun shines, I think Liverpools form will naturally pick up once they get players back off injury, now we need to rack up the points. I'd like to see us 6 pts ahead by the end of January to stand a good chance.
We can always kick f*** out of them on Sunday. Problem solved.

Spurs are still only 6 points off.

It's anyone's at the moment really

Interesting league anchelotti and Rogers , what a job there doing stick can’t write them off even though I don’t think they will win it , all we got to do is stay consistent even if we lose against Liverpool is not to give silly points away and we might be up there.

Think it’s going to go right to the wire this year and we could be right in the mix.

City are coming on strong and win their game in hand and they are top. Liverpool are not looking as strong but will no doubt get better. Could be one of the most exciting races in recent times.

Certainly nice to be in the conversation at the half way stage.

City look to be coming strong now they've found a more settled style the defence which was a problem for them last season looks to have solved it's issues and goals are slowly starting to flow again. Stones looks like a man re-born in that defence alongside Dias.

Next 3 in the league are
Fulham (a)
Sheff Utd (h)
Arsenal (a)

Think if we can get through those games with another 7 points on the board it would be huge.

I still think we'll come up a little bit short if City really get on a roll but it's great to see us pushing forward and at current pace we'll smash last seasons points total. Feels like if we want to be a real contender we've got to start turning the draws against the bigger sides into wins in the second half of the season and despite their dodgy season a win away to Arsenal would be a real start.

Just nice to be in contention sit back and enjoy the ride because it could be another 8 years until we’re in this position, I feel we’re like Liverpool Before they signed Allison and Van Dyke , a couple good signings and we’re rite up there it’s getting exciting again

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back