Time to recognise Scholes as United's greatest ever player?

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Stretford End Arising, Aug 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stretford End Arising

Stretford End Arising SEA

Read full article here: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opi...ted-s-greatest-ever-player-article552721.html

2. JSNFRMN

JSNFRMN Moderator

Re: Time to recognise Scholes as United's greatest ever play

It's hard to pick just one great really, out of those I can only talk about Scholes, Giggs and Ronaldo. Ronaldo wasn't at the club long enough to be the greatest in my opinion. Nothing seperates Scholes and Giggs for me.

3. JSNFRMN

JSNFRMN Moderator

I love Scholsey too but it's time to stop relying on Sholes, Giggs and Neville, they ain't gonna be around forever.

4. g@mb!t

[email protected]!t Well-Known Member

is it time enough to call Edwin a United Legend too? or too soon?

5. se7en

se7en Well-Known Member

Hasnt been here enough to be called a legend imo but he's been a great player, shame we didnt get him sooner

6. JSNFRMN

JSNFRMN Moderator

We should have got Edwin when Schmeichel left or when he joined Fulham, he was wasted at Fulham. Far too good for them at that time. We f'd around for too long with the likes of Howard, Taibi, Bosnich and Barthez.

7. mark s

mark s Member

Alright all!

Best ever? I hate these statements as they are awkward. Charlton took us to our first Euro cup. Best put United on a world map. Cantona helped United + Scholes develop to what they are now. Scholes grew into one of the best ever. Ronaldo had the best stat season OT will ever see. Schmeichel was just as vital for us as Scholes was whilst he was there (thats why we took years to replace him - yet Cantona was gone and we won a CL straight after etc). Personally we all know that it's Poborsky then David Bellion. Legends. lol.

Scholes would have won the world player of the year along time ago if he played outside the UK same as Henry. Zidane loves him. Just a shame that Scholesy had Zizou, Figo, Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Nedved, Maldini, and Roberto Carlos etc to compete with. Same for Becks. Truth is C.Ronaldo won it quite rightly, but he had just Messi to compete with, (I don't rate Kaka, Lampard or Gerrard as highly). Not exactly hard for him and Messi to keep winning it at the moment too. The list of "current" World class players is small, partly cos it's filled with now "older and weaker"stars like Ballack, Deco, Giggs, Scholes, Becks etc who are 33+ and the young up and coming stars (pick any of the new germany team lol). A quick example - who has signed for big money this season? Ballotelli and Villa. One is world class, one MAY become WC.

Also VDS is a legend. If Ole is a United legend for his goal, then Edwin is for his penalty heroics.

8. Wobler

Wobler Member

Djemba-djemba was breath-taking to watch! A real beauty! This man should get a statue outside of old Trafford. Scholes is nowhere near as classy as this boy was when he played for utd!

9. JSNFRMN

JSNFRMN Moderator

I liked Djemba-Djemba. Think his name was the biggest attraction though.

10. JSNFRMN

JSNFRMN Moderator

I don't remember much about him, didn't watch a lot of games back then, didn't even know there was such thing as streaming then. MOTD and the Radio was all I had. I do remember liking something about him though.

11. Wobler

Wobler Member

Scholes is an absolute legend! A fantastic world class player, but the one thing that has let him down is his tackling! When I see him going in for a slide tackle on a big occassion I'm hiding behind my hands!

I love Paul scholes and so does every other utd fan but I don't know if I could say he's the greatest utd player ever. He's certainly up there, but there are far too many up there also.

12. JSNFRMN

JSNFRMN Moderator

Definitely. The increase in popularity in America is to be hailed. They get pretty much every single game out there really for free, it's mental. They get it for free and put it on the net for us for free. It's brilliant. I will never get Sky for this reason. I will move to the US if ever streaming gets clamped down on. Sky charge ridiculous prices for matches, how many United games do they even show in a season? I don't want to see anyone else really, i'm not paying £40-50 a month for 1 or 2 United games on TV. You can go to OT for less nearly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.