Time to recognise Scholes as United's greatest ever player?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Read full article here: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opi...ted-s-greatest-ever-player-article552721.html

On Manchester United's recent pre-season tour of the USA, Paddy Crerand was asked to name the greatest player in the club's illustrious history.

Who did the former United player, now MUTV commentator, pick? His fellow 1968 European Cup-winning tem-mates, the iconic George Best or Old Trafford legend and former skipper Sir Bobby Charlton?

What about Denis Law, one of only four United players - Best, Charlton and Cristiano Ronaldo the others - to be crowned European Footballer of the Year? Or United's record appearance holder Ryan Giggs, whose endurance after two decades at the top defies belief?

No, Crerand hailed the greatest player in United's illustrious history as none other than Paul Scholes. Recognised by his peers as the finest player of his generation, Crerand went a step further, declaring Scholes as the best Old Trafford has ever seen.

Re: Time to recognise Scholes as United's greatest ever play

It's hard to pick just one great really, out of those I can only talk about Scholes, Giggs and Ronaldo. Ronaldo wasn't at the club long enough to be the greatest in my opinion. Nothing seperates Scholes and Giggs for me.

I love Scholsey too but it's time to stop relying on Sholes, Giggs and Neville, they ain't gonna be around forever.

is it time enough to call Edwin a United Legend too? or too soon?

g@mb!t said:
is it time enough to call Edwin a United Legend too? or too soon?

Hasnt been here enough to be called a legend imo but he's been a great player, shame we didnt get him sooner

We should have got Edwin when Schmeichel left or when he joined Fulham, he was wasted at Fulham. Far too good for them at that time. We f'd around for too long with the likes of Howard, Taibi, Bosnich and Barthez.

Alright all!

Best ever? I hate these statements as they are awkward. Charlton took us to our first Euro cup. Best put United on a world map. Cantona helped United + Scholes develop to what they are now. Scholes grew into one of the best ever. Ronaldo had the best stat season OT will ever see. Schmeichel was just as vital for us as Scholes was whilst he was there (thats why we took years to replace him - yet Cantona was gone and we won a CL straight after etc). Personally we all know that it's Poborsky then David Bellion. Legends. lol.

Scholes would have won the world player of the year along time ago if he played outside the UK same as Henry. Zidane loves him. Just a shame that Scholesy had Zizou, Figo, Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Nedved, Maldini, and Roberto Carlos etc to compete with. Same for Becks. Truth is C.Ronaldo won it quite rightly, but he had just Messi to compete with, (I don't rate Kaka, Lampard or Gerrard as highly). Not exactly hard for him and Messi to keep winning it at the moment too. The list of "current" World class players is small, partly cos it's filled with now "older and weaker"stars like Ballack, Deco, Giggs, Scholes, Becks etc who are 33+ and the young up and coming stars (pick any of the new germany team lol). A quick example - who has signed for big money this season? Ballotelli and Villa. One is world class, one MAY become WC.

Also VDS is a legend. If Ole is a United legend for his goal, then Edwin is for his penalty heroics.

Djemba-djemba was breath-taking to watch! A real beauty! This man should get a statue outside of old Trafford. Scholes is nowhere near as classy as this boy was when he played for utd!

I liked Djemba-Djemba. Think his name was the biggest attraction though.

I don't remember much about him, didn't watch a lot of games back then, didn't even know there was such thing as streaming then. MOTD and the Radio was all I had. I do remember liking something about him though.

Scholes is an absolute legend! A fantastic world class player, but the one thing that has let him down is his tackling! When I see him going in for a slide tackle on a big occassion I'm hiding behind my hands!

I love Paul scholes and so does every other utd fan but I don't know if I could say he's the greatest utd player ever. He's certainly up there, but there are far too many up there also.

Definitely. The increase in popularity in America is to be hailed. They get pretty much every single game out there really for free, it's mental. They get it for free and put it on the net for us for free. It's brilliant. I will never get Sky for this reason. I will move to the US if ever streaming gets clamped down on. Sky charge ridiculous prices for matches, how many United games do they even show in a season? I don't want to see anyone else really, i'm not paying £40-50 a month for 1 or 2 United games on TV. You can go to OT for less nearly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back