Time I accept reality

RichH2016

Hi guys,

After 25 or so years this is a rather difficult thing for me to say. And I hope people will be somewhat understanding and forgiving.

After 25 years of being a Manchester United fan I think it's time for me to accept that I am no longer a true United fan.

In truth this process started even before Fergie left so is no reflection on how bad things have gotten. This process started with my love for football fading and then in time United.

I rarely watch United these days. I never watch any other kind of football because quite simply the enjoyment just isn't there. I watch football and I find myself bored. At best football to me is background noise now.

And I guess my realisation is complete tonight. Because instead of reacting like this to a United loss I am doing it following a United win. A very good and key win by all accounts. A win that puts them right in the thick of things especially with City potentially facing a champions league ban and 5th position perhaps being enough to qualify this year.

I'm not happy. I don't find myself pleased that United have won. Don't get me wrong I don't wish that they'd lost but simply I just don't feel anything. Not the way I do with my American football team. The passion just isn't there.

I still enjoy talking with you guys on here even though most times I'm negative. Perhaps this realisation will give me a new balanced view on things.

I hope I can continue on here and even as a mod but I understand if that just doesn't fit.

I hope you continue to talk on here and use the forum. Perhaps if anything you can be our voice of reason.

And use the other sports forum and talk tennis and American football with us.

I find you both irritating and lovely to talk to every time.

Hi guys,

After 25 or so years this is a rather difficult thing for me to say. And I hope people will be somewhat understanding and forgiving.

After 25 years of being a Manchester United fan I think it's time for me to accept that I am no longer a true United fan.

In truth this process started even before Fergie left so is no reflection on how bad things have gotten. This process started with my love for football fading and then in time United.

I rarely watch United these days. I never watch any other kind of football because quite simply the enjoyment just isn't there. I watch football and I find myself bored. At best football to me is background noise now.

And I guess my realisation is complete tonight. Because instead of reacting like this to a United loss I am doing it following a United win. A very good and key win by all accounts. A win that puts them right in the thick of things especially with City potentially facing a champions league ban and 5th position perhaps being enough to qualify this year.

I'm not happy. I don't find myself pleased that United have won. Don't get me wrong I don't wish that they'd lost but simply I just don't feel anything. Not the way I do with my American football team. The passion just isn't there.

I still enjoy talking with you guys on here even though most times I'm negative. Perhaps this realisation will give me a new balanced view on things.

I hope I can continue on here and even as a mod but I understand if that just doesn't fit.

Yes continue with chat on the forum and provide a balanced view. Also good to read about other sports I don’t know much about (American Football).

If you don't watch the games, you have plenty of opinion :)

I think it's age, when I hit 30 - 35 I no longer watched other games where as I used to watch them all the time. When I hit 40 I didn't find myself watching all the united games. Now at 50, I find listening on the radio pretty good because I can do other things at the same time.

20 years ago Liverpool winning the league would have finished me, now I'm not bothered too much.

And united losses don't bother me half as much as they used to. They do still upset my me for a bit though :)

If you don't watch the games, you have plenty of opinion :)
Yeah I mean some of my opinions are based on what I read or hear. It's funny I still listen to lots of podcasts and some of them discuss United. I have an interest enough to still enjoy talking about the club but I really don't consider myself a fan.

I think as you do get older some things you enjoyed watching/doing before does rather wane. It’s fair enough but hope you stick about as it’s nice to get other opinions even if they aren’t agreed with but it makes for a good discussion.

The club certainly tests my patience a lot more than they used to and I don’t really let the results impact my mood in the way I used to it isn’t healthy but I do still care even if at times it feels like there’s no hope.

I think fans of all clubs are too much divided just because they don’t agree on stuff like ole in and ole out all that nonsense .
Being a fan takes a lot of my time always searching online reading articles watching games going to games etc....this is the only forum I use I like it as the members are all the same people I’m always talking to the same people You guys are all great I love chatting to you and I do get irritated when we lose and I get really happy when we sign someone or win a game.
I agree there is more then football and sometimes you got commitments and got to go with them instead of watching a game for example I am married with 2 year old twin sons and I’m also self employed so a lot of times I can’t go to games or even watch them on tv live ,but I always come back to it watch the game the reactions the stats all that because I love it still and want to see us climb up the table .
I’m blabing in about a load of rubbish but I have spoke to you a few times and we have agreed and disagreed but that’s part of it and if you stay on here and talk about another subject I’m sure I would be putting my 10 pence worth in as I enjoy chatting to you mate , hope your feeling alright in your self too anything you want to talk about just do it on here I’m sure plenty of people on here would love what you have to say .

We are all United fans simple.

The club certainly tests my patience a lot more than they used to and I don’t really let the results impact my mood in the way I used to it isn’t healthy but I do still care even if at times it feels like there’s no hope.
I guess that's my thing now... The club don't test my patience anymore.

Do I want them to do well? Of course I do. But then I feel the same about Southampton.

And I know I still have the passion within me because of how I am with my Philadelphia Eagles.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back