The Royal Family

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoot

Banned
I think the Royals bring a certain identity to the UK, a certain prestige, and having grown up with them all through life I feel a certain identity with them.
The Queen of course has been a wonderful servant to this country and I have always liked old Charlie.
Of course some have let the side down, we know who they are but the main senior Royals have always been great ambassadors for the country. Princess Anne has been a great no nonsense character who played down a serious kidnap attempt as a minor inconvenience and done us proud at the Olympics as her daughter Zara subsequently did.
Prince William seems likely to keep the Royal family on the right track, but of course Harry has shown rebellious signs from an early age and will likely fade into the background.
I was once, in the early 90s fortunate enough to have prime Horse Guard Parade tickets for Trooping of Colour due to having a Coldstream Guards connection at Wellington Barracks.
It's a great spectacle, I like a bit of pomp and circumstance. Long may it continue.

Can't really say I'm a fan of them I don't really think they should receive a penny from the public purse.

I notice you left off one of the princes who's got himself in a bit of bother with the law certainly his fondness of young women and his close ties to Epstien have left him in big trouble.

The only thing I ever really cared about was the two brothers William and Harry what happened to their mother must have been tough and both seem to have grown up into decent guys. Very different people William very much following his fathers footsteps and Harry following his mothers and it's fair to say Harry has had it much harder from the family and the press over his choice in wife.

I quite like the Royals, apart from Andrew who has always come accross as a twat.

Meghan I'm unsure of, she seems a bit manipulative, but that could just be the way the press are treating them after trying to sue them. So I'm trying to keep an open mind.

I've no thoughts on how they are funded, I guess a lot of people come to the UK just for that, and they go around being great ambassadors, mostly.

For me the funding thing just doesn't wash in a modern democracy you have a family who have sovereign wealth and own huge chunks of land all over the country being paid out of the public purse every year. There is absolutely no reason that family can't fund it's own lifestyle.

As for Meghan her face just doesn't fit with the establishment. She isn't one of them and people who don't come from that background always get a rough ride from the press. The fact she's got a very fractured relationship with her own family who don't mind throwing fuel on to the fire has basically given the press free reign to go after her.

Kate is a "commoner" too don't forget. I don't tink it's anything to do with the establishment.

I think they got up the nose of the press by not playing the game and then trying to sue them. And Harry was a bit like that with the press before she came along because of his mother, so that's not down to her.

Not sure you can really call Kate a commoner she's not royalty but she's from a rich family and met William at a top university plus lets be honest she's also British which probably helps in terms of being accepted.

Yeah you attack the press at your own risk but it's good to have the press held to account they can't just write what they want and set their agendas when they cross lines they need to have their wings clipped. Doing that is tough though because you also need a free press in a functioning democracy. There's always a moral question of how much of your private life should be made public when you are a public figure you use the press to build your reputation/image as an actor so when they discover something that contradicts the image you portray are they right to expose that?

Harry has always had a difficult relationship with the press he's been caught out a few times by them and obviously as he's got older he's probably become more aware of what happened to his mum in the press as well.

Don’t really care for any of them to be honest. They don’t enrich my life in anyway.

I quite like the Royals, apart from Andrew who has always come accross as a twat.

Meghan I'm unsure of, she seems a bit manipulative, but that could just be the way the press are treating them after trying to sue them. So I'm trying to keep an open mind.

I've no thoughts on how they are funded, I guess a lot of people come to the UK just for that, and they go around being great ambassadors, mostly.
It could be you are simply having trouble accepting black blood into the Royal family, even if this is subconsciously. It would be foolish to not recognise that this is an issue for many. It most likely is within the Royal family if truth be told.

No, i'm being influenced by the press, as I said in my comment, so I am trying to give her the benefit of doubt as I know the press have an agenda against them as a couple.

I have black members of my own family, why would I care about the royal family having black members

Maybe it was just coincidental you honed in on Meghan as the one you were unsure of. Regardless, the fact she is from black stock you can be sure is an issue for many and most probably even some within the Royal family.
Whatever, it has to be said that her entry into the Royal family has been a fairly disruptive one, unlike Kate who is far from a commoner.

You only need to look at the papers, Kate is photo'd helping out, Meghan is always causing trouble. This is what I'm saying, the press are really in to them. And I don't think it's because of skin colour, I just think the pair of them picked the wrong fight.

So I try not let that papers sway me, she seems ok to me even though the papers are trying tell me she's not.

They are hugely marketable to keep the tourists coming in to the country but I really have no time for them. They have no influence on anything really anymore.

Didn't the queen boost morale with her Covid speech?

Did she? I thought it was rather uninspiring but then I'm no fan of the royal family.

I think most found it amusing rather than uplifting.

‘we’re all on this together’ from her castle whilst many going through this are stuck in a 2 bedroom overcrowded council house.

I don’t dislike the royals I just don’t see the point. People mention tourism they bring in. Do people really think if we removed the royals that tourist would stop visiting London? What’s people’s reasoning for visiting New York then?

There shouldn’t be any place in society for them now days.

I think most found it amusing rather than uplifting.

‘we’re all on this together’ from her castle whilst many going through this are stuck in a 2 bedroom overcrowded council house.

I don’t dislike the royals I just don’t see the point. People mention tourism they bring in. Do people really think if we removed the royals that tourist would stop visiting London? What’s people’s reasoning for visiting New York then?

There shouldn’t be any place in society for them now days.
Exactly how I feel bud. I don't dislike them as I don't know them but I don't see the value they add. And they cost us a fortune to keep around.

I agree with your points on tourism.

And for what it's worth... Buckingham Palace is technically a council house...

maybe it depends on age? I remember the street parties at the silver jubilee, I feel like I've kind of grown up with her. I like her.

I don't think it's just tourists coming here, it's more when they go visiting other countries.

Certainly the two boys seem to try and do a fair bit socially too.

Also Meghan Markle would easily be my favourite if the lot. Prince Harry is a very lucky boy.

I think frustrations grew because they didn’t want her to carry on with what her traditional charity work was and from there the cracks within the family started.

Also she’s a self made millionaire people seem to forget that and think she’s some sort of gold digger.

Exactly how I feel bud. I don't dislike them as I don't know them but I don't see the value they add. And they cost us a fortune to keep around.

I agree with your points on tourism.

And for what it's worth... Buckingham Palace is technically a council house...
What made me think you were American?

Confusing him with Cosmic on a post they were agreeing on? I think Cosmic is the only regular American poster.

Apart from the obvious wrong'un they seem like reasonably decent people they just live in a world that none of us can even comprehend living in.

The idea of royalty in a modern society just doesn't make sense anymore one family having control of all that wealth which in theory belongs to the people but yet we give them more every year when the country is running up debts while still slashing public services left, right and centre for the last decade.

I never bought the tourism argument the UK is full of historic places, has great cities, a massive cultural history, sporting history, puts on huge events etc this is why people visit the UK. They're not coming for the sunshine.

Maybe it was just coincidental you honed in on Meghan as the one you were unsure of. Regardless, the fact she is from black stock you can be sure is an issue for many and most probably even some within the Royal family.
Whatever, it has to be said that her entry into the Royal family has been a fairly disruptive one, unlike Kate who is far from a commoner.
And now you have it. It's not good is it!

Depends which side you fall on. The side of the young man who wants to protect his wife and kid from the English media that killed his mother.

Or the family that protect Peadophiles.

I think it's fairly obvious to all what their biggest problem was Meghan is.

It's an outdated institution and the quick we move on from them the better. They're no longer a positive symbol of this country.

The press continue to attack her and treat her differently and certain people will lap it up and continue their narrative.

The different way they report on the two is clearly highlighted and she's far from the problem.

And I'll always be miffed at how someone can back and promote a family consisting of Andrew the peado.

The queen has been a wonderful ambassador for this country, but do agree it is an outdated institution.
Harry has always been a rebel and she ain't mother teresa either. They wanted to leave the firm and were allowed to go with blessings but then got grumpy when they were told it was one or the other, they couldnt dip their toes in and out when it suited them. It is this episode that has made The Royals no longer a positive symbol for this country (depending on what country you happen to be talking about of course).
Why has this interview and all the revelations and/or accusations happened now? having being stripped of their titles?
Your other comments are a bit iffy to say the least.

You can't moan about press, then do James Cordon and Oprah. I read there was nearly an hour of ads in that 2 hour show. It's pure money making by slagging your famous family in the press.

They look a bit lame now, should have left and got on with it. Not slag their family off in the press

I would have some respect if was a proper interview where their points were questioned.

I wouldn't watch anyway though. Just annoyed it's been on the radio all day

Wasn’t the interview agreed to before the final terms of separation where agreed and how they’d be recognised going forward?

They’ve had a lot of stuff written about them for the last few years since they got together some will be true but plenty will be nonsense so it’s only right they get to say their piece on it. If you care about it then you can make your decision on who you think is telling the truth. These two aren’t stupid they aren’t going to deny anything that can be easily proven so they’ll attack the stuff that is clearly wrong.

She had it rough from our press for various reasons one of which was her race that can’t be denied and she clearly didn’t have the full support of his family in dealing with that. Not being from the usual background is also a major problem she didn’t fit the traditional type.

As for moaning about the press you can moan about the press printing lies and not playing by the rules and her winning in court shows the press didn’t play by the rules. You have every right to tell your side of the story not have someone else write about you deciding what the story is.

The stories about her being a bully leaking just before this interview and just after she nailed them in court tells you it’s a vendetta against her they’ve got a real problem with her and nothing has been off limits in the reporting.

There is obviously another side now they are outside the royal family and the attention that brings they need to create a new image and they seem to want to carry on charity work and raising awareness.

Yes of course you can complain about the lying sensationalist press. But there is still a lot of hypocrisy involved when you court so much media attention in such negative ways.
I dont thing they will ever find themselves wanting, they could easily fade into the background and live a nice life. But they clearly are found wanting. For attention it seems!

You use obvious a lot there, what is obvious, by there own words, no one in the royal family will be able to reply. It's a one way story I'm not taking any of it as fact really.

She said their son didn't get a title or protection because of his skin tone, he does have a title they don't use, and when Charles becomes king he would have become a prince, they are the rules. Protection has nothing to do with the royals, it's the government and the MET. It's just all blah blah from what I've heard

I'm also not sure you can talk up the race issue when your husband dressed up as a Nazi SS soldier can you?

The Royals no longer a positive symbol for this country (depending on what country you happen to be talking about of course).

Is it positive for any country that one of them is clearly a disgusting piece of crap?

They lose any possible respect with Andrew. I was neutral on them before their protection of him. They mean little to me I just think it's outdated and makes little sense having this royal family you can only be born in to in today's society.

If you think they're iffy you should look into Epstein and Andrews friendship with him. Once you've done that your opinion on the royal family may change.

Is it positive for any country that one of them is clearly a disgusting piece of crap?

They lose any possible respect with Andrew. I was neutral on them before their protection of him. They mean little to me I just think it's outdated and makes little sense having this royal family you can only be born in to in today's society.

If you think they're iffy you should look into Epstein and Andrews friendship with him. Once you've done that your opinion on the royal family may change.
It's just clear that you consider the UK to be England. It's made up of 4 countries.

Yes of course you can complain about the lying sensationalist press. But there is still a lot of hypocrisy involved when you court so much media attention in such negative ways.
I dont thing they will ever find themselves wanting, they could easily fade into the background and live a nice life. But they clearly are found wanting. For attention it seems!

Guess is depends who started the war and how active she’s been in adding fuel to the fire I don’t follow the royals closely enough to say if she’s been spreading lies. She’s been under attack pretty much from day one not good enough or not white enough for some of our press and that seed was planted early she didn’t fit their bill for Harry.

Harry is aware that his time in the spotlight will fade when the next generation of young royals become more interesting to the press.

He seems a pretty clued up guy he must be pretty unhappy with the way it’s all gone down to agree to air some dirty family laundry in public. The suggestion is they’ve been forced out because the family refused to step up and protect them in the way they have Prince Andrew. Surely now this seed about racism has been planted it will end with the person being named at some point but who will be the one to jump under the bus.

I guess we will wait and is the Oprah interview a one off parting shot or will we see a lot more of the in public as access is now on their terms only there’s no more family duties to uphold at certain events.

As for the royals will this be another kick up the backside that might see things change but I doubt it.

I’m sure the people of all 4 nations are buzzing about their head of states family being a bunch of racist peados.

Guess is depends who started the war and how active she’s been in adding fuel to the fire I don’t follow the royals closely enough to say if she’s been spreading lies. She’s been under attack pretty much from day one not good enough or not white enough for some of our press and that seed was planted early she didn’t fit their bill for Harry.
I don't think its so much about not white enough for the press, although that would certainly be true of staunch royalists within the press. The real issue (where race is concerned) is not white enough for probably the royal family themselves and that would apply to most of them. The present shitstorm was always nailed on to happen. Its very difficult to change the mindsets within institutions and organisations etc..
The first thing I notice when I return to my hometown that I left 38 years ago is the sectarianism, the strength of it that still remains always shocks me because I no longer have the exposure to it that I did as a young man. I hate it and it makes me feel embarrassed for my hometown and its people.
He seems a pretty clued up guy he must be pretty unhappy with the way it’s all gone down to agree to air some dirty family laundry in public.
He is no mug I grant you but he has always been the rebel, although he managed to curb that side of his nature for a few years. It is really sad and somewhat telling that his brother seems so disappointed in him in recent years. They really have drifted apart in a big way.
And your last comment is decidedly iffy as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back