The race to finish in the top four

Looking forward to seeing how we go on against Spurs, thats the real test, and if we can get a result against them then it will put us in great measure to get top 4.

We have a chance for fourth, but no matter how many games we win, we are dependant on Arsenal and Chelsea slipping up. Fingers crossed.

We have a chance for fourth, but no matter how many games we win, we are dependant on Arsenal and Chelsea slipping up. Fingers crossed.

Positive thing here is that both these clubs are in Europa League which now gets a bit more serious so teams start playing more first team players and you also get an extra knock out round to deal with as well. Add to that Chelsea have a league cup semi final to fit in this month as well and you could find that come March they are knackered. We had it in Jose's first season with us and eventually we threw the towel in with the league as the squad was falling to bits if we can keep the pressure on I think we can catch them.

I think all 3 of us are terrible at the back we all give the opposition way to many chances but if Utd's attack can keep firing like it has been in December who knows.

For me January/February it's just all about keeping in touch give ourselves a realistic chance with 10 games to go and see where we end up as I don't see any of us reinforcing our squads in January.

Chelsea and Arsenal will both slip up more than a couple of times. It's just if we can capitalise. Chelsea have to come to Old Trafford with very few games left of the season.

Was reading today that our game against City is FA Cup quarter final weekend so likely to be moved to the end of the season. Could be in a horrible position either of them being able to win it at Old Trafford or us beating them handing Liverpool the title.

Was reading today that our game against City is FA Cup quarter final weekend so likely to be moved to the end of the season. Could be in a horrible position either of them being able to win it at Old Trafford or us beating them handing Liverpool the title.

Could we phone in sick?

Premier League: Tottenham Hotspur 0-1 Manchester United - 13th January 2019

Level on points with Arsenal. Six shy of Chelsea.

The draw would do us great. But I don’t think we can play like that again and get away with it. De Gea saved us and highlighted how poor our defence is again

The draw would do us great. But I don’t think we can play like that again and get away with it. De Gea saved us and highlighted how poor our defence is again

Do you think we should have changed our formation once Spurs did? I think we were losng that battle in the middle and should have changed.

I just didn't think there was much option on the bench to make the change without completely nullifying the attack I mean the only real option for a change was Fred and he'd have to replace Pogba but Pogba is the guy who can get you out. I think staying the way we were was brave and probably the right thing to do.

We rode our luck massively though but then again people will forget that Lloris also made 7 saves in the game so it wasn't like it was only 1 keeper who had a blinder. Spurs were electric that second half the subs made them so attacking and Utd had no way of getting out it was just backs to the walls holding on as they threw everything at us we were just hoping for that one break away chance to kill them. Reminded me so much of games vs Arsenal where we'd be holding on then Rooney or someone would nick one on the break to make it 2-0 because they'd pumped to many men forward chasing the goal. That killer chance just never came for us.

As for next weekend I think we need an Arsenal win we have to bring Chelsea right back to us and start testing their bottle a bit.

yeah, Spurs without Kane and Son, they could be brought back into it.

It was a pitiful bench for options to be fair.

As jsp said, Spurs were absolutely electric and under Jose we could have conceded 3 or 4, Ole has us drilled so much better defensively. We were running back as a team to defend and you could see a bank of 6, 4 defenders and 2 midfielders, moving perfectly in unison.

yep I think Arsenal win too but I can't see it, a draw next best result.

The thing is this morning 4th actually feels probably not impossible. 6 wins on the bounce for Ole and we all know momentum is a massive thing in football.

Our next 9

Brighton
Burnley
Leicester
Fulham
Liverpool
Palace
Southampton
Arsenal
City.

4 wins before Liverpool is crucial before that massive 5 game spell. Though I think we’d have to be happy with 10 points after getting 15 from our last 5.

If we take 9 from the games against Palace Southampton and Arsenal and could pick up a win against either of the title contenders we’d have to be in party mode. The city game could be moved which I think would benefit us given the way the fixture list has been laid out.

Do you think we should have changed our formation once Spurs did? I think we were losng that battle in the middle and should have changed.

I don’t know about a change of formation it was just the mindset that was wrong. It was a case of dropping 20 yards too deep probably scared of the ball over the top to Son. But we were just inviting pressure and realistically poor finishing is the reason for us getting the 3 points but it’s been so true the other way around at times that we deserve that and the sublime De Gea to keep the run going.

As Ole has repeatedly been saying, we are Manchester United, we expect to win every game. He has changed the mindset of everyone in the club from Rashford to the tea lady. His input has been nothing less than sensational.

From the list above I'd expect nothing less NOW than 6 wins from 9, I think we can beat Arsenal and if we lose to Liverpool and City so be it.

5 weeks ago I'd be saying 3 wins, 3 draw, 3 loses.

Ole, Ole, Ole!

It was a pitiful bench for options to be fair.

As jsp said, Spurs were absolutely electric and under Jose we could have conceded 3 or 4, Ole has us drilled so much better defensively. We were running back as a team to defend and you could see a bank of 6, 4 defenders and 2 midfielders, moving perfectly in unison.

yep I think Arsenal win too but I can't see it, a draw next best result.

I don't think we are better drilled defensively at all.

That game yesterday reminded me of Arsenal away last season absolutely battered but De Gea pulling off miracles to keep them out and nicking one ruthlessly on the break. Only difference was Spurs didn't gift us a 2-0 lead with some dreadful defending.

The massive change since Ole came in is up top we play so much quicker and the starting position of our attacking players is much higher up to around 60 minutes yesterday we almost always had 3 players right up top with Pogba & Herrera breaking forward from midfield. As soon as we got the ball we were looking to get the strikers in behind the Spurs full backs didn't always work but when it did the whole team came up.

Do you not think we looked calmer, men back in a formation not like headless chickens, we were crowding most shots out, players with throwing themselves on the line. We didn't look the disjointed mess we have become accustomed to in Jose tenure

I thought we looked a mess at the back they tore us apart with ease all game. When your keeper gets motm you generally didn't defend great.

I thought we looked a mess at the back they tore us apart with ease all game. When your keeper gets motm you generally didn't defend great.

Spurs were a mess at the back as well Lloris made 7 saves which for a home keeper is a lot and he didn’t stop many that were straight at him.

By the end Spurs were basically playing 2-5-3 and none of the 5 were defensive players they threw the kitchen sink at us where I think we lost momentum was Spurs changed system and we didn’t react possibly because we didn’t have players to do it. Think we totally lost control in midfield and couldn’t get out but they have so much quality they are going to make chances as they didn’t panic and just start slinging in crosses.

I didn’t see anyway back for us after Liverpool the fact we’ve won 7 in a row and still remain 3 behind shows how big the task was/is.

The positive is we’ve almost put it back in our hands as we have both teams to play but I still think it’ll be hard to get In there as a blip will come.

I can't believe it but... Top 4 is very very much back on. Chelsea are in our sights and are a team who are struggling right now.

I can't believe it but... Top 4 is very very much back on. Chelsea are in our sights and are a team who are struggling right now.

Also with the manager ripping into to the team, and that team already has past of falling out with the managers I’d say good chance that’s on the cards again

Pretty big setback in the hunt to get top 4, hoping for bad results for them around us now.

We were always swimming against the tide when it came to making top four, the winning run really set us up but any little setback is going to feel huge because we can’t really afford any mistakes because we are fighting with both Chelsea and Arsenal. A point is better than none but we can’t really drop many more points. If we are still in with a shout after our tough run then we’ve done well.

After all that the midweek schedule turned out to be a point gained.

Goal difference improved as well! Those two now on +17 we’re on +13

Very strange round of games but it's been a hell of a 6 weeks under Ole to turn this ship around we are back in the hunt but February is huge it will define the season for us I think as every game is now huge.

Think it might come down to who can keep their key men fit and firing and how far everyone goes in Europe because inevitably Europe distracts from the league the further you go.

I think Chelsea are in big trouble their fixtures are piling up and we saw when we won the league cup and Europa league under Jose by the end of the season we were dead and dropping like flies despite the rotation.

I think if we can go into March still in this sort of range we've got a great chance.

United's goal difference is now better than Arsenal and Chelsea's. Incredible to think when United had a goal difference of 0 in November/December.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back