1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The race to finish in a Champions League spot 2016/17

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sideshow Bob, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Sideshow Bob

Sideshow Bob Avatar & New Members Forum Mod

Premier League: Manchester United 1-1 West Ham United - 27th November 2016

8 points behind fourth placed Arsenal after 13 games. Do we think United will finish in the top four or do we need to win the Europa League?

2. macas

macas Well-Known Member

Until we starting putting these teams away we will not do either.

3. boothstownred

boothstownred Well-Known Member

Seems unlikely tbh. I at least feel like we are making some sort of progress in terms of performance. There is work to be done regarding players coming in but there is a Base to work from.

4. RichH2016

RichH2016 Well-Known Member

This team will not finish in the top 4 and will not be winning the Europa league either. It's nowhere near good enough to do either. Not enough goals, not enough passion or fight, not enough quality in the critical positions and a manager who's a shadow of what he used to be.

Honestly it's a sad sad time to be a United fan.

5. bludsucker

bludsucker Well-Known Member

Well I think we will have enough quality to finish in the top 4. But we really need to be putting teams like west ham and burnley away easily. But one thing is for sure it's been pretty easy on the eye and I for one believe we have improved in the performances side of things if not the results.

6. boothstownred

I think I sit between the two of you. I do think by and large the quality is there. I think we have left ourselves too much to do to get top 4 this year. But we are playing better now and try to think back to last year when there was sarcastic cheers deformation us having a shot. Jose certainly has things to prove but it would be stupid to write him off after 3 months. He will need another couple of transfer windows. I had already pretty much written this season off in terms of winning things, just want us to improve and get things right for next season.

7. JSNFRMN_MUFC

JSNFRMN_MUFC Moderator

Mourinho can't finish the chances for the team. I'm enjoying watching us play this season just frustrating that the players can't finish chances, i'd even go as far as to say that if we were putting the chances away it'd be the most enjoyable United team not just in the last 3 years but since the start of that 2011/12 season when we ran riot for the first few games. It really is simply down to us not converting our chances. There are selections and subs that Mourinho has made which have been dubious but on the whole I think he's doing a good job, players need to put the ball in the back of the net, simple as that.

8. RichH2016

This team might be better to watch than last year but let's be honest that's not hard. Watching paint dry was more exciting and eventful than watching us play last year. But this team doesn't have great quality in the final third and that's been apparent for a couple of years at least now. A lack of goals and a lack of pace and yet Jose and the club didn't go out and truly address that in the transfer market. Sorry but that's a black mark against them because it didn't need much intelligence to see that was one of the key things we needed to add in the summer. Mkhitaryan might go on to be a really good player but he's not a pacey player nor is he going to get us lots of goals.

9. SuperRash

SuperRash Moderator

How many times are we going to say 'our manager just needs another couple of transfer windows?' We've said it since Moyes and this is our 4th season without Sir Alex!

Personally I think top four isn't out of reach, we need to go on a ridiculously good run but to be honest I feel we are going to rampage someone soon! We create a monster amount of chances. I happen to think we could actually win the Europa. That gives us a route back into the CL.

10. boothstownred

We will probably keep saying it until they actually get a couple of transfer windows. Only lvg had that luxury and the first one barely counted due to the world cup.

11. Sideshow Bob

Premier League: Everton 1-1 Manchester United - 4th December 2016

13 points behind Chelsea.
    10 points behind Arsenal.
    9 points behind Liverpool.
    9 pints behind City.

12. SuperRash

SuperRash Moderator

Pretty depressing. More depressing because we should have been winning all these drawn games, if we were clinical then we would be well in it! It's sad viewing.

13. boothstownred

It's disappointing but I wrote this season off a couple of weeks ago. We need to not panic too much though, let Jose naked his signings over the next couple of windows and I feel we will be in a strong position

14. RichH2016

The board needs to get together and have a really good hard look at the direction it wants to take. Is this club serious about contending? Because if it is then it needs to start again.

Jose has a proven track record but actually with every week he's looking like a manager who's stuck in the past where others have overtaken him. His magic has gone and new younger managers full of passion and energy are the ones getting results.

I'm not saying Jose is an awful manager or he was the wrong choice. But it's becoming more apparent every week that his methods are stuck in the past and a big shake up is needed.

This team isn't going to finish in the top 4 and it's unlikely it picks up a much needed win next week.

15. Sideshow Bob

This stat hasn't helped.

16. JSNFRMN_MUFC

JSNFRMN_MUFC Moderator

Not sure what you mean, how is he stuck in the past?

We knew this wasn't a quick fix, I thought we'd do better this season, I certainly didn't expect us to win the league but I didn't expect Mourinho to move this far away from what Van Gaal was doing, for the first time in his career it seems to me that Mourinho has actually looked long term and has moved away from his usual style of play, he even said Friday he was prioritising getting the "United way" back over results. Funnily enough this was something the majority wanted last season under Van Gaal, there was a lot of "I don't care if we don't win, I just want good football". Today, wasn't that good in my opinion but the majority of football this season has been good. Only Watford and Chelsea have been as bad as Moyes/LVG eras.

It's frustrating of course it is but it's clear to see the progress, it's slow progress but definite progress. We're currently in a similar position to Liverpool this time last year where they'd just brought a new manager in, you could see the style change happening and the improvement in performance but they weren't getting results in the league while getting to League Cup and Europa League finals.

A title challenge looks unlikely, scraping 4th place is nothing to celebrate either, so might be time to prioritise cup competitions (EL, FA & EFL) and start planning ahead to next season. Cup glory > scraping 4th.

17. RichH2016

He's stuck in the past because he has always been known for being so tactically aware and strong yet he's gone away from that... But in the nicest way he isn't in the same league as Pep or Wenger or Klopp when it comes to playing good attractive football.

Yes maybe he is prioritising playing good football over league results... But the club over the past few years have made it clear that missing out on top 4 is the way to get the sack. Now unless the club are going to go against that now and back Jose no matter what the team does this year? That approach is going to get him in to trouble.

And given the amount of money we have once again spent and Jose still isn't getting the best out of them by the way... I think the club want to win now and failure to compete is unacceptable. This team is several points off of Spurs in fifth! That's just not good enough regardless of whether we are playing better football than under LVG or not.

And yes maybe we are playing better football... But dominating Burnley, Stoke and others at home but not winning is nothing to write home about. You'd expect us to dominate those teams, you'd expect their GK to be MotM! The difference between the top teams and everyone else is meant to be that they take advantage when they are on top and they put away their chances.

18. Sideshow Bob

Premier League: Manchester United 1-0 Tottenham Hotspur - 11th December 2016

10 points behind Arsenal.
    7 points behind Liverpool.
    6 points behind City.

It's been a good weekend.

19. Sideshow Bob

Premier League: Crystal Palace 1-2 Manchester United - 14th December 2016

7 points behind Arsenal.
    6 points behind City.

20. Sideshow Bob

Premier League: West Brom 0-2 Manchester United - 17th December 2016

6 points behind City.
    4 points behind Arsenal.

21. Sideshow Bob

Mourinho focused on Reds, not rivals - Official Manchester United Website

22. JSNFRMN_MUFC

JSNFRMN_MUFC Moderator

We need to keep winning, as we can't really afford to drop more points. Chelsea running away with it but 5 teams contesting the other 3 places.

3 points for us on NYE would give us 36 points at half way stage, another 36 in 2nd half would give us 72, which was enough for 2nd last season, might not be enough this season. I think we can improve on 36 though.

23. RichH2016

We've been so up and down this year that it's hard to say but yeah I'd fancy us to kick on now. Things seem to be settling down a bit and whilst it's a long way from perfect it's getting better. I guess Jose is having an effect on the players and they are really starting to listen to him. Still a long way to go but I do see a team now with belief and one who's going to be hard to beat. That's what Jose does to all of his teams and so I can see us finishing with maybe 75-80 points? Whether that's good enough to take us back to the top 2/3 or not is another matter. I'd think it would be.

24. Sideshow Bob

Premier League: Manchester United 2-1 Middlesbrough - 31st December 2016

3 pints behind City.
    1 points behind Arsenal.

25. JSNFRMN_MUFC

JSNFRMN_MUFC Moderator

I thought City were very poor just then, first half in particular. Both sides comical at times defensively and I was surprised that there were not more goals.

26. Sideshow Bob

After today's results:

4 points behind Arsenal.
    3 points behind City.

27. Sideshow Bob

Premier League: West Ham United 0-2 Manchester United - 2nd January 2017

10 points behind Chelsea.
    5 points behind Liverpool.
    3 points behind City.
    1 points behind Arsenal.

28. JSNFRMN_MUFC

JSNFRMN_MUFC Moderator

Getting closer but Arsenal playing tomorrow. Need a favour from Bournemouth.

29. Sideshow Bob

Result: Bournemouth 3-3 Arsenal.

30. Berba_God

Berba_God Well-Known Member

Shame Bournemouth couldn't hold out from 3-0 up with 20 minutes to go.

31. JSNFRMN_MUFC

JSNFRMN_MUFC Moderator

Not much outrage from people about a harsh red card tonight!

32. boothstownred

I thought tonight's red card was harsher than West hams tbh. Amazing isn't it. By the end of Monday night football Jones was being blamed and the referee should be banned.

33. bludsucker

bludsucker Well-Known Member

Well it's a media which has lots of scousers as pundits. They get their knickers in a twist everytime there is even hint of a decision being in our favor. I never saw this level of outrage when the west ham keeper put in a leg breaker on zlatan in the league cup.

34. boothstownred

You're right and there are numerous instances of this sort of thing.

35. Sideshow Bob

After Spurs 2-0 Chelsea:

10 points behind Chelsea.
    5 points behind Liverpool.
    3 points behind Spurs.
    3 points behind City.