Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideshow Bob

Starting to look a little dicey.

Newcastle United 3-3 Manchester United - 12th January 2016

CYjXuryWcAUzOLV.png

We need to win a string of games. Need to go on a run if we are to secure champions league football next year. Also very likely that we may have only 3 spots starting next season depending on how the Italian clubs do. So it looks very difficult for us.

no change in management means no change in results. Come sunday we will finally be overtaken by Liverpool. No chance we get into the CL we do not derseve to play there!

Decent set of results:

City 0-0 Everton
Liverpool 3-3 Arsenal
Spurs 0-1 Leicester

Hmm yeah not bad and Chelsea dropped points as well so that all helps.

Can't help but feel though that we need to be targeting Leicester rather than Spurs? OK right now that's not the case but over the season I'd think Spurs will finish above Leicester.

With Liverpool, Chelsea and West Ham all showing indifferent form as well we need to get on a good run! With Liverpool still settling in under Klopp now's the time to try and put some distance between us... Starting of course with a win at anfield on Sunday! :)

Glad we're playing Liverpool after a midweek game, with the way they play they'll perhaps be a bit tired on Sunday after tonight's game.

We shouldn't have had to worry about a top four place this year

Today's results:

City 4-0 Palace
Chelsea 3-3 Everton
Villa 1-1 Leicester

Well Leicester, Chelsea and Everton all dropping points helps... But of course none of it matters if we lose tomorrow!

So sad that it's even come to this though. I mean we should be fully in control of our own destiny and not worrying about how others are doing! When you need a favour from villa you know times are hard...

Absolutely big win in the context of the race to finish in the top 4, maybe even open up the title race what with Arsenal dropping points.

LVG thinks we can still win it... Which means there's no chance in hell! :);)

It's a funny season so who really knows... Two months ago we were top or at least right in the mix. Two months later and we were facing the possibility of dropping as low as 10th with results going against us.

A month ago Chelsea were fighting relegation, then suddenly they weren't far behind and now with two back to back draws they've fallen away from us a bit.

Nobody seems to want to take the title by the scruff of the neck and win it. So maybe we could win it... But we could just as easily finish 7th or 8th depending on how we progress from this point.

Tottenham is not looking to drop many points. To catch City seem unrealistic and Leicester seem serios about their title challenge. Excellent football yesterday. Arsenal, except recent results, didn't look to drop to many points too.

We really have to go on a run to be in the mix on the last day and starts in Fulham right away! If I had to bet money on it, I'd say we finish 5th. Can't see us putting in performances like yesterday week in week out. Since 3 years it's an up and down. After any high we've brought back to earth but I won't stop believing we finally turned the corner.

I can't see us having the consistency to finish in the top 4. Not based on what I've seen over the last 18+ months... But but but... This season has been very funny so far so who knows.

Could we go on a run now and muscle back in to the top 4? Absolutely we can. But it won't be easy.

We know Arsenal will come on strong. They do every year. City will get a boost now and will fight for their jobs at the club. And Leicester just aren't dying away yet. The unknown for me is Spurs. So far they've done so well but they may choke as the pressure intensifies. People are talking about them for the title. With the size of that club that's pressure. I don't quite see that affecting Leicester in the same way as nobody expects them to win it

Chelsea 1-1 Manchester United - 7th February.

Six points shy of City in fourth.

Yep I would agree with that... Still some really tough games coming up and that gap isn't closing very quickly! Looking at City and Arsenal I'd still tip them to finish top 2 so will Leicester and Spurs fall away a bit? I don't think so to be honest.

I thought it would be Leicester but they have a big enough cushion now. Spurs seen solid too this season.

Spurs have been pretty consistent and bounce back from defeats or set backs. Leicester have done the same this season while City and arsenal have experience of handling the end of season run.

Our awful November / December run could really cost us badly.

I guess on a positive note... It should mean LVG out! And it's not like we are ready to go and win the champions league is it? This season was a pretty pointless exercise.

Yeah that's a route but given some of the teams in the Europa league I don't see us winning that... We need a few quality players before we are ready to challenge in Europe on either front.

I was full of praise for our display till the goal we scored. Afterwards it was an embarrassing showing. Negative football if ever this can be called football kicking the ball away and havng 7% (!) possession. Totally deserved to concede late and another 2 points wasted!

Wow things got that bad? I watched a lot of the second half and did notice we dropped off after the goal.

That in itself is fine... But when there was a chance to break the ball was thumped up field and possession given away.

Chelsea had one or two chances but for the most part we looked comfortable. So for us to just sit back like that and invite Chelsea on to us is of course disappointing.

What results do we want on Sunday if we win our game? Two draws?

Arsenal v Leicester
City v Tottenham

Would take a city loss and an arsenal loss. That would work out the best for us if we get all three points.

Tbh the only important result is us winning and putting pressure on the others. Whatever their results it moves all or at least two close to us.

2 draws I think would be best. Although with Arsenal having to play CL football, the current form they're in and their recent history with bottling the league, maybe a Leicester win would be quite good.

We have to win first though, if we don't, I don't think it'll matter what Sunday's results are, even this far out. We need to win to keep the pressure on, need to stay in touching distance.

Umm... Part of me thinks draws so they all drop points. But another part says surely at some point the pressure is going to tell on Spurs and Leicester?

Injuries or suspensions are going to hurt them aren't they? And when they do I still think Arsenal and City are best placed to cope.

But with every week that goes by that theory and assumption looks less and less likely so maybe not.

Maybe our best hope is City dropping the ball and turning their attention to Pep?!

Mind you we've got to win our game first otherwise it's irrelevant. If we keep winning then somebody is bound to slip up. All we can do is position ourselves to take full advantage.

Arsenal v Leicester:
I want either team to win the league so a proper football club gets champion. I want it to be Leicester ahead of Arsenal.

City v Tottenham:
easy, Tottenham. Always against those fecking plastic mickey mouse clubs

Van Gaal on United's top four chances:

“That is dependable on the competitors because at the end of the competition the pressure is rising for everybody. You have to be able to cope with that pressure and Manchester United is more or less used to that pressure.”

I'd agree with LVG there... We've got a slight edge when it comes to experience and how we handle the pressure. Certainly if Leicester drop a few points soon the dream of the league fades and all focus would be on top 4 which is pressure.

We showed last season in a run of games that when we need to get the results we can get them.

I'm just not sure our competitors will drop enough points given we are bound to as well...

Sunderland 2-1 Manchester United - 13th February 2016

That's that then.

This has been a strange old game.

We certainly don't deserve to lose but I'm not sure we've done enough to win either.

Sunderland defended really well, got men behind the ball and stuck to their task.

Must win game and again we've failed. It was a very typical performance this season. Lots of possession, lots of good areas with a bit of threat but not many chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back