The Departure Lounge 2021

I heard somewhere that Jones was open to a loan to a Championship club just to get minutes. Probably would be for the best, and if he can regain some sort of fitness, surely low level PL clubs would be interested in Jan or next summer.

Lingard is a strange one for me. Clearly we're stocked with forwards, so he won't be playing much anyway. His value has to be at its peak after that loan spell with WHU. Seems mad not to cash in now.

I would keep Lingard now, James is gone and Martial has a habit of sticking his penis somewhere and feeling oblivious.

Sounds like Lingard wanted to stay and fight for his spot so Utd never really looked for offers.

You wonder if it means a new deal might be offered to him as Ole seems to like him.

Can be a handy sub for us as plays 2 or 3 spots.

Squad still feels a bit heavy to me I reckon Lingard could end up being sold in January once Rashford is fit

Sounds like Lingard wanted to stay and fight for his spot so Utd never really looked for offers.

You wonder if it means a new deal might be offered to him as Ole seems to like him.

Can be a handy sub for us as plays 2 or 3 spots.

Squad still feels a bit heavy to me I reckon Lingard could end up being sold in January once Rashford is fit
To be fair, couldn’t care less what Lingard wanted. Sell while the iron is hot…(see what I did there…eh?!?)

Pretty much guaranteed he’ll sign a new deal to ‘protect the value of the asset.’ It’s the ‘sell the asset at peak value’ part where we tend to fall down.

To be fair, couldn’t care less what Lingard wanted. Sell while the iron is hot…(see what I did there…eh?!?)

Pretty much guaranteed he’ll sign a new deal to ‘protect the value of the asset.’ It’s the ‘sell the asset at peak value’ part where we tend to fall down.

Think you risk losing the respect of the squad if you try to force Lingard out of the squad he's a popular lad who's come through the academy if he wants to stay and fight for his spot then you have to let him.

One of the key parts of a transfer is having a player who wants to leave I don't think Lingard wanted to leave.

If he gets to January and has only played 5 games he might suddenly decide he wants to move on and Utd will either have to accept a low fee or accept losing him on a fee. If he's played 10-15 games and is playing well they'll likely offer him a new deal.

Martial turned down a move too, think it was Nice, to fight for his place. Doesn't seem much of a fighter to me

There were a few stories around yesterday about PSG being interested in him if Mbappe went they were looking to get someone in on loan to cover the gap in the squad and Martial apparently was an option.

He's got some fight on his hand as right now he's 4th choice CF ~ Ronaldo, Cavani, Greenwood, Martial and when everyone is fit there's probably 3 ahead of him on the left as well Rashford, Pogba & Sancho.

I do think Ole likes him but unless he gets back to his absolute best he's going to struggle to get in the team.

I think Martial has always been more effective operating from the left where he can use his pace and skill. Also like Rashford cuts in well to create/score. He had that great season up top when we came out of lockdown but I think that was an anomaly rather than the standard. Think he’ll still see a fair amount of action this season but he may well be in the last chance saloon.

His two best seasons at the club have been at centre forward his first season 2015/16 under LVG and the 19/20 season under Ole.

On the wing I think he dissapears way to often, he just doesn't seem to be switched on for the full 90 minutes when he's in full flow he's almost unplayable but if he doesn't seem to fancy it he just stops trying. Martial to me is a player who never scores during a bad performance he's either brilliant or anonymous.

I think he's getting the league cup games if he's lucky and everything else will be off the bench.

Martial turned down a move too, think it was Nice, to fight for his place. Doesn't seem much of a fighter to me
Think you risk losing the respect of the squad if you try to force Lingard out of the squad he's a popular lad who's come through the academy if he wants to stay and fight for his spot then you have to let him.

One of the key parts of a transfer is having a player who wants to leave I don't think Lingard wanted to leave.

If he gets to January and has only played 5 games he might suddenly decide he wants to move on and Utd will either have to accept a low fee or accept losing him on a fee. If he's played 10-15 games and is playing well they'll likely offer him a new deal.

I don't think either of them wants to 'fight' for their place. Obviously that's what they say, but they're just happy collecting their inflated wages, chumming around with their mates at training every week, and doing very little.

Lingard knows he's not playing more than a handful of games before Jan. If Martial's performances since coming back indicate his desire and fight, then he should play even less.

There are too many players who earn too much and are too comfortable to arrange a move elsewhere. I think Ole needs to be a bit more ruthless and trim the fat.

I don't think either of them wants to 'fight' for their place. Obviously that's what they say, but they're just happy collecting their inflated wages, chumming around with their mates at training every week, and doing very little.

Lingard knows he's not playing more than a handful of games before Jan. If Martial's performances since coming back indicate his desire and fight, then he should play even less.

There are too many players who earn too much and are too comfortable to arrange a move elsewhere. I think Ole needs to be a bit more ruthless and trim the fat.

How does he trim the fat if he can't trim it?

If the player says I'm staying and turns up on time all the time and does everything you ask of him you are totally powerless. You can try to force him out and send him to train with the reserves but that can impact the group dynamic especially if those players are popular in the group. Just look at the way Ole jumped to the defence of Phil Jones when Rio had a pop at him the other week I think he realises how important the group dynamic is. It seems to me like he's got a firm "no d*ckheads policy" when it comes to his players so as long as you are part of the team you're fine with him.

All Ole can do is be honest with the player if he's told Lingard he likes him but he will need to be patient and take his chances when they come what else can he do? Lingard also generally keeps himself in brilliant condition he admitted he had a tough time recently and turned to the booze but he's no longer doing that. Maybe West Ham was the kick up the backside he needed to get his career back on track.

Put yourself in Lingard's shoes would you leave or would you give it one last crack?

We can't demand loyalty from players we do like if we're going to demand the club boots out the players we don't like.

again, it's circular, the wages are keeping players at the club, the wages at the club are inflated due to Sanchez. So we go and pay someone 500 grand a week and we go around again.

Like I said, love Ronaldo, can't wait to see him in the shirt, not sure in the long term it was the best deal for the club, playing wise. Commercially the Glazers will be knocking one out.

Phil Jones was injured. Lingard and Martial aren't.

I understand the need to unity and harmony in the squad, but if I was Ole, I'd sit down with them and their agents and say something along the lines of, good player blah blah, can't guarantee you're going to play much, I think your future probably lies elsewhere. We'd expect a fee somewhere in the neighbourhood of X, and if you can find that, we'd be willing to let you go.

Drop them from the match day squads and see how they react in training. Set them targets and make them play you. If they don't then, yeah, train with the reserves and put pressure on their agent to get them a move away.

If I were Lingard, I'd work my arse off to try and prove I'm United quality. If I was told that I was surplus, I'd want to play first team football, and like James, get a move away.

Martial can go in the bottom of the bin with the cleaning and magically disappear.

There is no reason to punish players who want to stay. They have signed contracts that guarantee them wages; playing time is decided by others in the squad as well as the manager. You can't blame any United player for wanting to remain a United player. With our usual injury crisis that hits around December, many fringe players will find themselves in the starting line up. We are already paying them, Ole needs to keep them fit and motivated so that if called on they can come in and perform.

There is no reason to punish players who want to stay. They have signed contracts that guarantee them wages; playing time is decided by others in the squad as well as the manager. You can't blame any United player for wanting to remain a United player. With our usual injury crisis that hits around December, many fringe players will find themselves in the starting line up. We are already paying them, Ole needs to keep them fit and motivated so that if called on they can come in and perform.
PL and CL games in which Martial or Lingard start and put in standout performances or come off the bench and swing it in our favour (no deflected off their backside stuff.)

Over Under set at 3.5

How much are you putting on the over?

Donny's agent has been in the press confirmed that Everton was an option for VDB at the end of the window as they considered a potential move but he's been given assurances that chances will come for him.

My prediction is he's out on loan in January then sold next summer.

Donny's agent has been in the press confirmed that Everton was an option for VDB at the end of the window as they considered a potential move but he's been given assurances that chances will come for him.

My prediction is he's out on loan in January then sold next summer.
Why do you think he chose to stay rather than move and play?

Why do you think he chose to stay rather than move and play?

The agent basically said Ole wanted him to stay and said he'd be given chances.

My guess is the club probably knew they wouldn't be able to sell him and get in a replacement so decided to stick with what they've got for now.

That's why I think the player might try to force something in January if he isn't getting enough playing time.

The agent basically said Ole wanted him to stay and said he'd be given chances.

My guess is the club probably knew they wouldn't be able to sell him and get in a replacement so decided to stick with what they've got for now.

That's why I think the player might try to force something in January if he isn't getting enough playing time.
I'd agree. I think they didn't want to lose a body in CM, especially one with talent, so they gave him empty promises and will sell him either in January or next summer. All a bit of a shame for the lad really. He deserves better.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back