The decision to start Herrera in defence

Sideshow Bob

I hear Herrera was at fault for the second goal? Not his fault obviously. Was Bailly injured - was he on the bench. Do we think Mourinho has lost confidence in Lindelof? What does the selection of Herrera in defence say about Lindelof and Bailly?

Bailly is terrible unfortunately, I think dropping lindelof was a mistake, sounds like his confidence had gone when he came on. We know historically jones and smalling are not good enough, weird he chose Herrera and not matic. Or Jones smalling and lindelof

Bailly is very rash but I probably would have played him in a back 3. In all honesty I can't see what lindelof brings to the defence

What has Bailly ever done to get di many fans onside, he has made way more mistakes than lindelof

I don't really think either have done that much. I guess his only saving grace is he has more centre back attributes than lindelof.

It was a knee jerk reaction by Jose but one that we should be used to. The same XI should have played that lost to Brighton because they needed to prove a point that they can play. Making so many changes is just dumb and quite frankly ridiculous. How can this team ever settle when the manager drops players at the drop of a hat? And how can any have confidence when they know one mistake will mean they lose their place.

Time for this clown to get out of town before he does even more damage. Its not all his fault and Woodward needs to go too but Jose isn't the man.

I wasn’t disappointed with the changes but Herrera starting in a three man defence? Was that aboot? He’s got a bit of LVGitis who tries something funky just because he wants to. Herrera didn’t too bad but he was caught out of position a few times and to be fair 3-0 could have been worse. Experiment failed and won’t see the light of day again.

My only guess at the start was Herrera in the back 3 was at attempt to stop Eriksen but it genuinely looked like a straight back 3 he wasn't in some strange roaming role man marking someone.

Bailly didn't even make the bench but not heard anything to say if he was injured or just dropped completely if he was then that seems like a massive over reaction.

However, for 45 minutes the plan worked and we battered Spurs and just didn't take any chances and were let down by terrible defending second half Herrera was at fault but first goal Jones loses on Kane on a set piece.

I guess you had to drop one of Linda luv or Bailly from the squad.

I don't think we did sometimes you have to put faith in young players who've made mistakes one of them should have started the game putting Herrera into defence was possibly Mourinho showing he doesn't have faith in any of his centre backs as he's picking a centre mid ahead of one of them.

Herrera was a weird one, why not Matic.

Bailly and Linda luv are not good enough. It's time to get rid, all 5 of them are sub standard from what is required in a team wanting to challenge for titles.

Think he wanted someone who was quick rather than phyiscal and he wanted Matic back in the midfield.

The tactics worked really well up until the point where we let a goal in then we collapsed like a house of cards.

A famous boxer (might have been Tyson) once said everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face. Utd had a plan but when we took that shot to the face plan was out the window and we were all over the place.

haha, yes that was Tyson, legend.

Something is not right mentally, two quick goals two games on the trot. You can't get back from that.

We panic plain and simple it even happened vs Leicester this team know the defence is a liability so when they get hit with a blow it's panic stations all over the pitch no one puts there foot on the ball and calms it all down.

Lack of experience and leadership maybe when you let in a goal normally you try to just stabilise things for a few minutes do lots of simple things and take the sting out of things we don't do that.

This decision just sums why Mourinho is the wrong fit for us, these are the roles kids like Tuanzebe should be playing for us under the guidance of Smalling and De Gea but Jose would rather a makeshift option instead of taking a chance on a kid. But yesterday wasn't on Herrera in defence it was our failure to set the tone of the match by taking the lead we deserved in the first half and that is all on Rom, games like last night are almost always decided by who scores first.

It was beyond stupid to start Herrera back there. Sure he didn’t have a ‘Baillyesque’ meltdown but for the second goal he was out of position which kept Spurs onside and then there were a few other occasions that could have cost us goals if Alli hadn’t been so wasteful.

The contrasting performances of Alderweireld and our slap dash centre backs last night show why Woodward should have sanctioned that deal.

None of our CB defenders really look the part somehow. I can't put my finger on it but when I look at them , their mentality , body language , physique and even their faces , they just don't have that "look". Vidic , Terry , Stam , had it - ours don't.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back