The Centre Back Rumour Mill

SuperRash

So are we going to get one? Get two? Get none? Where’s your money at?

Just to add another name into the mix:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Wonder who will be the next centre back we are linked with before 5pm tomorrow....

If I had to hazard a guess right now... I would say we aren't going to get any. Things can change quickly on deadline day but that's my gut feel and has been for a few days now

If I had to hazard a guess right now... I would say we aren't going to get any. Things can change quickly on deadline day but that's my gut feel and has been for a few days now
Well we may find out soon with Jose’s press conference ahead of the game tomorrow, think it’s at 9am. He could well say we are all done signings wise. About 8 and a half hours to go until the window slams shut.

I think we will get none the only way we get one in is if one goes and I don't see anyone going today if we can't sell a player I think we will stick with what we have.

Well his suggestion is nobody will be coming in. Complete and utter joke. Complete sham of a summer by everyone involved.

Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho says he is "not confident" of signing another player before Thursday's transfer deadline at 17:00 BST.

Mourinho has repeatedly expressed a desire to bring in additional signings throughout pre-season with a central defender top of his list.

However, despite links to numerous targets, United are yet to reinforce.

"The market closes today. It is time for me to stop thinking about the market," he said.

Jose throwing in the towel.

It has felt like a pretty poor effort from the club throughout pre season and the transfer window. To say I am disappointed is an understatement

I'm sure I saw Leicester signed a CB last night, is that a replacement for Maguire?

Surely we will get 1 in? Even I'm starting to doubt now.

I'm sure I saw Leicester signed a CB last night, is that a replacement for Maguire?

Nah bud nobody is coming in. That's what Jose has said as that's what he's been told. Complete joke.

More likely that they are buying to cover Huth and Morgan who have declined since that title winning season.

Leicester are hard to deal with took Mahrez 2 years to get out because he committed to a long deal according to reports they've told Maguire you're going nowhere as you've got 4 years on the contract but they're happy to increase his pay as reward for a good season and World Cup but that would mean adding years to the deal.

If I was him I'd take the money at Leicester if they're not prepared to sell who knows what can happen next week strike while the irons hot is my view on players when it comes to contracts.

As for the club it's been a disaster of a transfer window for them.

They have only strengthened 1 starting position in the team effectively we've replaced Herrera with Fred in the starting XI. Carrick has retired so Herrera/Fellaini are now 4th and 5th choice CM options. Even with Fred I'm not sure we are now stronger in central midfield than we were last season.
They have not cleared out the players who just aren't good enough squad is still way to big. Darmian and at least 1 CB needed to go without even being replaced and probably 1 attacking option just to get rid of players who contribute very little for their high salaries.
They're going into another season with Valencia and Young as first choice full backs converted wingers well into their 30's and being asked to perform superhuman tasks from full back. Dalot to me feels like Lindelof we'll see bits of him in certain games maybe 25-30 appearences expecting him to hit the ground running straight away is ambitious.
They've not got rid of or re-signed some high value assets who are going into the last 12 months of contracts. Shaw, Herrara & Mata.
There are still clearly 3 problem players for Mourinho in the squad Shaw, Martial & Pogba all clearly have a strained relationship with the manager 1 has publically expressed his desire to leave.

I think we all saw 5 serious problem positions in our starting XI at the end of last season where we were lacking real world class talent and upgrades were required. RB, LB, CB, CM, RW only 1 of those positions has been addressed properly.

There's all sort of rumours going around there's one that says the list Mourinho offered to Woodward was unrealistic and didn't fit with the clubs policy basically he only wanted finished products there was no developing players which would leave Utd with to many older players with no re-sale value.

There are rumours he paid no attention to any of the players suggested by the new scouting team that the club has built to help him.

Utd board apparently want to target younger player up to the age of 25 they will make som exceptions but they either want talent that will develop from 20-23 or talent that is going to give it's peak years to Utd 24-25 joining at 24/25. According to some reports Mourinho's list was all players over 28 who would attract massive transfer fees/wages and have almost no re-sale value for the club.

I think his comment is a good thing to be honest he and we need to move on and focus on what we have no point moaning about what we don't have but you know as soon as we have a few bad results he'll be pointing back to the summer and it could get nasty.

It's Godin from Athleti now being talked about on Sky Sports and other outlets.

I'm still sure 1 will come in. Blind faith haha

I mean really do we think Atletico are going to sell us their number 1 centre back a week before their season starts also would we be able to get it done as he'd need a work permit?

I'm kind of prepared to take Mourinho at his word on this no ones coming in or out today a few might go at the end of the European window just to trim the squad.

To me it's all about signing quality if we aren't signing a player who's better than the current starter what is the point? we've got quantity in every position what we need is quality.

Simon Stone saying Godin saying to sign new contract at Athleti and he is usually on the money.

Oh honestly this is just pathetic and embarrassing. Woodward is disgracing himself more now with these laughable attempts. It's too late. You messed up and now you're desperate.

What a depressing transfer window. Fred will be a great signing I reckon but a young lad and a 35 year old keeper doesn’t exactly scream we are going to challenge for the best honours.

Cannot we believe we haven’t been able to bring in another centre back. Sure clubs don’t need to sell now with all the tv money but still, pretty pathetic effort by us. Not quite as depressing as summer with Moyesy but it’s close!

Utd never publically talk about transfers I reckon we've been linked with 10 centre backs this summer I'd be astounded if we made a bid for any more than 3 of them.

Utd transfer sells papers gets clicks 90% of what we hear is nonsense the Godin rumour went around months ago Utd asked because they knew his contract was running down and were told he was going to be staying with Atletico I'd be amazed if we made an offer or wasted any more time.

Yeah I don’t believe for one minute we tried to get in Godin at the last minute, it’s just Sky Sports trying to drum up some interest on deadline day.

Yeah I don’t believe for one minute we tried to get in Godin at the last minute, it’s just Sky Sports trying to drum up some interest on deadline day.

The reports are his agent approached us. We were of course keen and then all of a sudden he's signed a new deal with Madrid. In other words his agent used us which is a common theme. Agents should work for clubs not players and have no involvement in transfers.

It's all part of the game as far as I'm concerned agents might ask you to show interest and offer you a favour down the line with another client.

Keeping the agents happy is almost as big as an issue of keeping the players happy because if you annoy an agent he can quickly turn the player against you. You have to remember to a player his agent is the guy who's helped him reach the top and helped make him super rich so players are very loyal to them.

As I said all summer. I don't think we needed a new centre back anyway. o_O

As I said all summer. I don't think we needed a new centre back anyway. o_O

You are right we NEED 2 but 1 would've been a nice start.

Wait until we sell Pogba and Martial after the window shuts then sh*t is going to get really real haha!

Well now it's shut we can stop discussing who might come in and get back to fully supporting the squad we've had. Now we have to make Bailly and Lindelof the number 1 partnership. We know what everyone else in the team can do. Let's see what these two can do with a sustained run in a settled back 4. Hopefully this is the season Shaw makes the breakthrough on his potential. Delot will come back get fit and be a lot better than any of us realised.

I mean yeah you're right bud... But it's hard to really belief in a team and a club that's a sham and has been for a while now.

Got to pick a pair and stick with them now just hope that the pair we pick stay fit.

I don't think we'll see the younger players move the veterans out but ideally I'd like to see them rotated say Valencia & Shaw one game then Dalot & Young the next try and have one younger one and one experienced one.

Since Fergie left our net transfer spend is £500m and our squad is weaker than it was in Fergie's final season.

Very true but net spend I think is nonsense because it doesn't account for players who've left of free transfers. Net Spend is a way to judge your owners and the amount they're investing or the performance of a sporting director it should never be used to judge a manager in my opinion.

Ferdinand, Vidic, Giggs, Scholes, Fletcher all left for nothing/retired and Evra left for peanuts because we did a deal where we activated a 1 year option on his contract to secure a minimal fee for Juventus. These guys gave a decade of service to the club and we didn't recover any cost for them.

Money has been p*ssed up the wall every year by the club post Fergie this summer you have to say the 3 deals they've done on paper are all very smart deals. Fred was on a lot of clubs radar and we got him for £50m which is the going rate for a centre mid now, Dalot we exploited a release clause to get him cheaper than Porto ever wanted him to go and Grant well that's an easy one. Out goings they got in £10m for Johnstone and £18m for Blind both good deals more might still come back in if a bit of the dregs is sold to Europe.

If I was the Glazers I'd be wanted serious answers from Woodward on how that money's been spent as on top of that massive agent fees have been paid along with big increases in the wage bill if I was them I'd be suggesting that the responsibility for this is taken out of his control and put into the hands of people who know what they are doing.

Club needs to decide what it's style is and buy players and appoint managers that suit that style as they often say in American sports trust the process instead of constantly flip flopping. When Mourinho leaves in 1,2 or 3 years time you can guarantee the next man will be nothing like him and he'll inherit a squad full of players he can't really work with and we start the whole thing all over again unless something changes.

There were 3 other positions we could and should have tried to improve too, why did we just look for CB's? Club only really spends when we fail to get top 4.

There were 3 other positions we could and should have tried to improve too, why did we just look for CB's? Club only really spends when we fail to get top 4.

Rumours are the only LB option identified by Mourinho/Scouts was Sandro but Juventus wanted a silly fee the only other one I’ve heard who was on the list was Tierney from Celtic but was deemed to big a gamble in any case to buy a new LB club had to sell Shaw or Young neither player had any desire to leave. Rumours are Shaw was approached by Everton and they were told not interested. Had they been able to offload Shaw I think we’d have got Sandro.

Right wing options were Willian & Perisic both deemed to expensive given their age by the board other player on the list was Malcom but Mourinho wanted a ready to go player not a player to develop felt the squad needed experience not youth.

Dalot was a compromise as there was no ready made option identified by scouts so agreed to take a punt on Dalot because of his release clause.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back