1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Battle to Keep Fellaini

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumour Mill' started by jsp, Nov 12, 2017 at 11:29 AM.

1. jsp

jsp Well-Known Member

Rumours seem to be growing the he will leave in January as he’s not prepared to sign a near deal and with only 6 months left on his contract Utd are forced to sell.

Fee rumoured to be around £8m

I’m not a fan but surely we can’t afford for him to leave mid season and not be replaced.

2. Sideshow Bob

Sideshow Bob Avatar & New Members Forum Mod

Is the source The Mirror? If yes, the same article claims United are interested in Fred from Shaktar Donetsk. What type of player is Fred?

3. maxt7

maxt7 Well-Known Member

They brought Fred to replace Fernandinho. So his more of a breaker up of play type player then anything else. I’ve only seen him in bit parts when watching highlights really, so can’t make a solid judgement. Either way Fellaini for 8 million is a bargain.

4. jsp

jsp Well-Known Member

The story has been going around online all week but the mirror picked it up today.

The issue with Fred or most players in January is we will have to pay a premium the mirror says he recently extended his contract and he will be cup tied for CL games for the rest of the season.

£8m for a guy with 6 months on his contract isn’t to bad but Utd shouldn’t have got themselves into this situation.

Seems to me like Fellaini has either had enough of the way he’s treated by the fans or Utd aren’t offering him what he can earn at Besiktas. Turkey has low taxes so they can offer very competitive wages to players.

5. SuperRash

SuperRash Moderator

Wouldn’t be surprised if Fellaini has had enough of the United fans being lukewarm to him. £8m would be a steal for Besiktas because deep down he is a good player, he does foolish things, he looks a little clumsy but he’s effective.

Don’t know anything about Fred so can’t comment but like jsp said it’s January so we would have to pay some mega money. Think we have been linked with Forsberg as well today, it’s definitely time when we’ll be linked with a whole host of names!

6. IDFD

IDFD Well-Known Member

From what I’ve read Herrera Fellaini and Mata have all had their contracts extended

7. Red Warrior

Red Warrior Well-Known Member

This could be a funny situation. Fellaini leaving for £8m is a very good deal for someone and I'm sure all the Utd fans taht have been moaning about him will now be moaning he's leaving for only £8m!

I think we would be crazy to let him go in Jan unless we can get someone else in.

I'm hoping a deal for Griezmann might be possible in Jan but I cant see it.

Utd never usually do any business in January like most of the big clubs.

8. jsp

jsp Well-Known Member

I think January deals are always tricky the clubs in the prem or in Europe are unlikely to sell you their best players mid season even at inflated priced, the best hope are players who maybe are struggling to get games or have fallen out with current managers who need a move before the world cup because they're worried they might lose their place in the squad.

The one who might be a possibility is Ozil if the rumours of our interest are true then Arsenal might decide they have to sell him now rather than lose him for nothing in the summer, it's not like Ozil is pulling up any trees for them anyway. He's not really a direct replacement for Fellaini if the big man is going then I guess the club will need to recall Periera from Valencia and put some faith in McTominay as cover, if Carrick is fit then that also helps but even towards the end of last season he looked like his time was up was very surprised he decided to carry on.

9. Red Warrior

Ozil would be like buying a Miki no.2. I can't see him being a Mourinho type player, he's a fancy Dan who perfoms when he wants to and when the chips are down he disappears.

10. jsp

jsp Well-Known Member

Mourinho is a massive fan of Ozil from their time at Real Madrid and Ozil asked him to write the foreword to his recent biography, I expect Mourinho to manage him properly if he did come in he'd be subbed off when he's not performing and he wouldn't be mothered like he is by Wenger. Mourinho has often indulged these creative players Deco, Ozil, Sneijer & Fabregas were all important players in his teams it was only really that first Chelsea team where he didn't have one as he had Lampard banging 20 goals a season from midfield.

I think the thing with Ozil is the better the team around him is the better he is just look at him when he plays for Germany he's been the national team player of the year 5 years out of 6. If he came in then you have to say that's probably curtains for Mata and maybe even Mhiki but he adds another option to our forward line and if we're going to play a "number 10" we might as well have the guy who almost defines the position playing there.

11. Red Warrior

I'm shocked!!! Very shocked.

Agreed he is good when he's on it but his attitude seems pants at The Arse. I'm sure the Arse fans wouldn't be too bothered if he came to Utd.

Maybe a new challenge is what he needs so it would be worth a shot with him I'm sure.

12. jsp

jsp Well-Known Member

It seems like he's a guy who needs to be kept on his toes Mourinho at Madrid subbed him off a lot when he was closing out games and even benched him in games where he needed his team to be solid whereas I get the impression that at Arsenal he feels like he can do what he wants, that club seems to lack any real discipline. Ozil & Sanchez seem to be able to do what they want when they want and there's no real punishment handed out to them, it's a culture that I think has seen a lot of players take liberties at that club over the years as failure is rewarded not punished.

For me he's a very specific tool bit like Fellaini but the complete opposition if you're going to dominate the ball from the start of the game you want Ozil in your team to help you pick the lock of a packed defence but if you're going to sit deep and defend and look to win games on set pieces you probably want a guy like Fellaini. I think Ozil is a luxury that you can afford if you've got world class players around him especially a midfield that will dominate as a 2 and can keep feeding him the ball but at Arsenal he's just the lightning rod when anything goes wrong even if it's not his fault. I guess the easiest way to describe it is at times he looks like an F1 car in an off road rally it's an awesome car but being used in the wrong conditions it's useless and it's the same but in reverse for Fellaini.

Where Fellaini is strong is if you're playing a team who love to press the ball he's a great out ball because you can go long to him and he's great at bringing it down on his chest and making the ball stick.

If Fellaini does go we're putting huge faith in Matic & Pogba staying fit for the rest of the season which I think is a massive gamble to take for £8m it's almost worth letting him walk away for nothing at the end of the season if we can't agree a new deal.

13. SuperRash

SuperRash Moderator

So a summer go-go or a no-no?

I happen to think Jose will convince him to stay because he has super faith in him but he could quite easily say ‘Nah fancy a new challenge, buh-bye then’.

14. Red Warrior

I guess it will be Fellini’s last big contract and if Accrington Stanley (or whoever) offer him 100k a week more than Utd and more game time then there will only be one outcome.

15. jsp

jsp Well-Known Member

He apparently signed on a contract worth £100k-120k a week and I don't think his performances warrant him moving up the pay scale as he is a hot and cold player who isn't going to play every game. If he's getting an offer from Turkey which is more money you can't really knock him for taking it he doesn't really owe us everything he's had to put up with a lot of grief because of his association to Moyes.

I think Mourinho will push the club hard to keep him he's made that known publically but it all depends what Fellaini is demanding if he wants £150k a week over 5 years we probably can't really stretch that if he is happy with a 2-3 year extension then the club might be able to give him a pay rise. If you give him a long term contract you are basically accepting you'll never be able to move him on.

If it was up to me let him go on a free but Jose likes him and he at least uses him properly when he does play him and you can't deny that he's contributed in a positive way to the 3 trophies the club has won in the 4 seasons he's had so far and hopefully there's more to come this season.

16. JSNFRMN_MUFC

JSNFRMN_MUFC Moderator

The difference in Turkey is the wage isn't taxed as much. I've grown to appreciate him a bit more but i'm certainly not going to lose any sleep over him leaving if that does happen. There are a lot of better players out there.