Tennis 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideshow Bob

General thread for tennis in 2017. New threads can be created for big events, eg Australian Open.

Unbelievable start to the season. I think he will play less and tail off during the clay season and hopefully continue his success at Wimbledon.

Great match with Sharapova and Bouchard at the Madrid Open. Made all the more interesting as Bouchard called Sharapova a cheat that shouldn't be able to play.

Bouchard won in three sets.

Great match with Sharapova and Bouchard at the Madrid Open. Made all the more interesting as Bouchard called Sharapova a cheat that shouldn't be able to play.

Bouchard won in three sets.

I watched the first set. Sharapova did fairly well, I thought. What type of embrace did the pair share when the match ended?

I actually think it's the right decision. She's clean served her penalty and. Obviously one of the best around and that's what the wild cards should be used for not so we can see 10 Americans ranked under the 100 mark get knocked out first round.

If she had been injured that is fair enough but why should someone who cheated be given a helping hand back. Sets a bad precedent

If she'd been injured she could have protected her ranking and wouldn't have needed the wild card?

I just would rather see the best play. She's more likely to bring in the crowds and the TV viewership than another no player. Fact is she's clean now and she's paid her punishment. We can't continuously punish people. Should Rio have spent the entire rest of his career exiled from the national team as calling him up set the wrong precedent?

I do see your point by the way. I just think you're talking about the currently most marketable female tennis player in the world. To not give her a wild card is harming the female game more than it's harming her.

I also think watching Bradley Wiggins view on it I've taken a much more lenient view towards it. He basically says we all employ numerous people to ensure we can push the boundaries as far as possible the fact she's got caught taking a drug that was a legal drug a few months before means when she was taking it before everyone else was too and someone in her team missed the change in regulations they should have spotted.

An injured player only gets a protected ranking for a specific number of tournaments.

Sharapova's drug was banned in the US. She is a meticulous player who leaves nothing to chance. I think it was Jamie Murray who said if it was on the banned list she knew.

The drug she was on was legal 4 months before she was caught using it.

If we were to see this list of every drug they're all on we'd probably hate them all!

The drug she was on was legal 4 months before she was caught using it.

If we were to see this list of every drug they're all on we'd probably hate them all!

It was not approved and was not sold in America.

Anyway lol let's just hope it's a good US Open.

It wasn't on the banned substance list until January 2016.

Whilst it may not have been approved in America you can guarantee until January 2016 every American British French and Russian tennis player was taking it. Any legal edge these guys can get they will take. Boxing Tennis Cycling Olimpics they're all the same just matters who has the best doctors and can cover their tracks best.

This year has seen a return to #1 of Federer and Nadal. Great for the world of tennis because their names attract people to the sport.

Great Sunday morning tennis. Fed beats Nadal in two sets.

Shanghai Champ!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back