Taking the knee

Red Warrior

Anyone sick of this yet? By no means am I racist but I have no interest in this either. What bothers me the most is there must be a group of players that are in effect being bullied into doing this. Some F1 drivers have made a stand and decided it's not for them but I get the impression that footballers are too scared to stand up and not do this.

It should have been a one week only stand. It needs to be binned now along with the water breaks lol

Is there any decision on how long this is going on for in football?

It’ll carry on as long as the players remain united on doing it which you would assume in the long haul until they feel there’s change.

The point is doing it over and over keeps it part of the agenda and keeps people talking if they stop then it stops being a talking point.

Footballers tend to just go with it as being outspoken often gets you called a trouble maker.

My guess is we might not see it next season would genuinely be interested to see how fans in stadiums react to it happening.

I think it is Taking The Pee
I agree with the kick racism out of football movement, but I dont really think it should get involved in wider politics to this extent.

Yeah, what about Pep and his yellow ribbon ban, why is that any different?

either you allow political messages or you don't.

I don't really get why it's such a issue for some? It's a symbol of unity and support for BLM. Doesn't affect or impact anyone.

I don't really get why it's such a issue for some? It's a symbol of unity and support for BLM. Doesn't affect or impact anyone.

I have no problem with it, just curious why Pep got banned for wearing a ribbon, but this is ok

I think they've made it pretty clear that the message is not about the political things to do with the black lives matter movement it's about the over arching issue which is racial equality.

Kick it out have proven time and again to be pretty toothless at dealing with this issue as nothing has really changed by doing this they are keeping the message front and centre that things need to change.

I'm probably going to start something political here but I still find the 'Black Lives Matter' statement baffling. Why pick on black lives only? I see the drivers in F1 with 'We race as ONE' on their steering wheels which I find a much more powerful message.

Was inevitable the taking the knee is not universally supported by football fans.

They’ve had their say will be interesting to see if other fans do the same.

Hopefully the club say something about it.

Little bit off topic but on BBC iPlayer they had a programme about Anton Ferdinand and how the incident impacted his career. Very interesting programme if you find a spare hour.

Anyone sick of this yet? By no means am I racist but I have no interest in this either. What bothers me the most is there must be a group of players that are in effect being bullied into doing this. Some F1 drivers have made a stand and decided it's not for them but I get the impression that footballers are too scared to stand up and not do this.

It should have been a one week only stand. It needs to be binned now along with the water breaks lol

Is there any decision on how long this is going on for in football?
I'm with you Red Warrior, it should have been finished after the first month, it's achieving nothing at this point. And BLM as a term is racist as fk, why not all lives matter or something more inclusive of all races. Bizarre world we live in.

Until Black Lives Matter then all lives don’t matter it is that simple.

They don’t want to be superior just equal.

I am surprised they’re still taking the knee I thought it would stop after last season but an anti racism message before the game can’t be a bad thing and they’ve been pretty clear to distance themselves from BLM and the other things they stand for.

I am surprised they’re still taking the knee I thought it would stop after last season but an anti racism message before the game can’t be a bad thing and they’ve been pretty clear to distance themselves from BLM and the other things they stand for.
I couldn't disagree more.

This is what it is all about. Being treated equally.

I'm with you Red Warrior, it should have been finished after the first month, it's achieving nothing at this point. And BLM as a term is racist as fk, why not all lives matter or something more inclusive of all races. Bizarre world we live in.
How is Black Lives Matter racist? It isn’t BLM (other races not so much).

Baffles me when people say all lives matter in response to the movement, yes it’s true all lives do matter but that won’t be the case until black lives matter.

That’s fine but what don’t you agree with?

Do you believe that racism doesn’t exist in society?
Racism will exist on some level for as long as there continues to be different races, which will be forever because there are always an element of c**ts out there to engage in it / have those beliefs. So taking a knee at football matches will do zero to change it. BLM is a racist term, other ethnic minorities experience racism, all races experience racism, certain sections of society will always face hardship and an uneven playing field regardless of race, more based on social class than skin tone imo. As a white football fan who abhors racism I now see the taking of the knee as an insult, so they're calling us all racists on a weekly basis, cool.

Racism will exist on some level for as long as there continues to be different races, which will be forever because there are always an element of c**ts out there to engage in it / have those beliefs. So taking a knee at football matches will do zero to change it. BLM is a racist term, other ethnic minorities experience racism, all races experience racism, certain sections of society will always face hardship and an uneven playing field regardless of race, more based on social class than skin tone imo. As a white football fan who abhors racism I now see the taking of the knee as an insult, so they're calling us all racists on a weekly basis, cool.

They really aren’t they’re asking for white people to show solidarity with their issue.

BLM was a response to police brutality against black people they never said this doesn’t happen to other races just that they were sick of seeing black people being murdered by police officers who in most cases were white and were then protected by institutions. The cover ups by the police when mistakes were made is what caused BLM to happen.

They really aren’t they’re asking for white people to show solidarity with their issue.

BLM was a response to police brutality against black people they never said this doesn’t happen to other races just that they were sick of seeing black people being murdered by police officers who in most cases were white and were then protected by institutions. The cover ups by the police when mistakes were made is what caused BLM to happen.
Show solidarity every week more or less by being coerced and brow beaten into it, could you picture the reaction if a player refused to observe it?
Plenty of races die at the hands of police officers, why is it not taking a knee against police brutality as a whole then? Another thing, this movement went global after George Floyd (which was a shocking murder), but it happened in America so I don't see why the English and European football teams are still taking the knee when the American sports teams don't seem to go as far.

Show solidarity every week more or less by being coerced and brow beaten into it, could you picture the reaction if a player refused to observe it?
Plenty of races die at the hands of police officers, why is it not taking a knee against police brutality as a whole then? Another thing, this movement went global after George Floyd (which was a shocking murder), but it happened in America so I don't see why the English and European football teams are still taking the knee when the American sports teams don't seem to go as far.
Cont'd how about this for a concept, just keep sports and politics separate.

Football is sport. Its not the place for such politics. After the sickening George Floyd case it could be justified in any setting, but it should not go on, and on. Its high time it was stopped.

If players want to do it, who are we to tell them to stop? I haven't seen or heard any evidence of players being coerced into it.

Sports should be about inclusion and understanding.

If players want to do it, who are we to tell them to stop? I haven't seen or heard any evidence of players being coerced into it.

Sports should be about inclusion and understanding.
QPR vs Coventry is the only match I know where it hasn't happened and I'm sure the players had input, and QPR DOF Les Ferdinand was scathing of the whole thing. Stuff like taking the knee and the various protests in American sports are really turning viewers off to, nobody wants political messaging in sport, its our passion and release from every day life and BS, keep it out of the sports we love.

QPR vs Coventry is the only match I know where it hasn't happened and I'm sure the players had input, and QPR DOF Les Ferdinand was scathing of the whole thing. Stuff like taking the knee and the various protests in American sports are really turning viewers off to, nobody wants political messaging in sport, its our passion and release from every day life and BS, keep it out of the sports we love.

And that's QPR's choice if the players don't want to do it, and they believe it is watering down the message then don't do it.

They can't force anyone to take a knee or not, so if the opposition want to at a QPR match what could they do about it?

If players want to show thier beliefs, and aren't causing harm, I can't see how it could be stopped?

What next, do we stop players from praying or making crosses before coming onto the pitch, because in the same way it is players showing thier beliefs and also in the same way not hurting anyone.

So when we have our minutes silence every year around rememberance Sunday or military personnel on the pitch before finals that politics is ok?

The taking the knee lasts about 10 seconds if you don’t like it just ignore it don’t clap don’t boo just let it happen and get into the game once it starts. I’ll be totally honest I don’t even notice it anymore.

BLM did not start with George Floyd but it felt like his death was the straw that broke the camels back on this issue it had been going for years before. Our sports which are filled with young black stars who have a strong voice are using that voice to draw attention to an issue.

There are obvious complex conversations about the wider issues of policing but right now black people are speaking up about black people getting murdered by police officers and that can’t be ignored.

And that's QPR's choice if the players don't want to do it, and they believe it is watering down the message then don't do it.

They can't force anyone to take a knee or not, so if the opposition want to at a QPR match what could they do about it?

If players want to show thier beliefs, and aren't causing harm, I can't see how it could be stopped?

What next, do we stop players from praying or making crosses before coming onto the pitch, because in the same way it is players showing thier beliefs and also in the same way not hurting anyone.
QPR could kick off during the knee and shoot for goal lol.
Players blessing themselves coming on or off isn't observed by all 22 players and the millions at home, and its a personal gesture of their faith, wholly different circumstances. Uefa should enforce rules like their ban on political symbols, hence Pep got told off for his Catalonia ribbon, think England are routinely fined for wearing the poppy also but they're just happy to pay it, politics and sport don't mix.

So when we have our minutes silence every year around rememberance Sunday or military personnel on the pitch before finals that politics is ok?

The taking the knee lasts about 10 seconds if you don’t like it just ignore it don’t clap don’t boo just let it happen and get into the game once it starts. I’ll be totally honest I don’t even notice it anymore.

BLM did not start with George Floyd but it felt like his death was the straw that broke the camels back on this issue it had been going for years before. Our sports which are filled with young black stars who have a strong voice are using that voice to draw attention to an issue.

There are obvious complex conversations about the wider issues of policing but right now black people are speaking up about black people getting murdered by police officers and that can’t be ignored.
No the remembrance Sunday minutes silence and poppy wearing has no place in football or sport either imo, I don't observe them either. I go to a match to watch football, park your political leanings at the door.

No the remembrance Sunday minutes silence and poppy wearing has no place in football or sport either imo, I don't observe them either. I go to a match to watch football, park your political leanings at the door.

Do you boost though and shout up about it I don’t recall a post on here about it last month.

I tend to agree keep sports and politics separate we watch the game to escape the reality of life but for a very long time sport and politics have been tied together.

Do you boost though and shout up about it I don’t recall a post on here about it last month.

I tend to agree keep sports and politics separate we watch the game to escape the reality of life but for a very long time sport and politics have been tied together.
If I'm at a match I'll go for a piss during it, if at home I'll flick channel, the British army committed terrible atrocities all over the globe, I don't see anything to celebrate there. Same with the US sports with the air force fly by, how many poor innocent people have they blown to smithereens? Nah I'll stick to sport

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back