Tahith Chong | Match Discussion thread 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think out of the youngsters we have he probably looks least ready. He’s only young obviously but I don’t see that he can really be that guy who can changes games off the bench yet. Think he would benefit from a loan move like Mount and Abraham at Chelsea have.

Yeah I'd keep playing him in the Europa league and league cup to give him games but he needs time.

He's still a boy clearly needs time to develop probably needs a year or two out on loan in somewhere like Holland so he can get some playing time while his body develops.

Think we saw with all the kids last night after about 60 minutes there legs had started to go people think their kids they can run forever but at elite level competition it's not like that.

Chong looks like someone who needs to be doing a lot of gym work over the next 12 months to build up his strength, speed and stamina

EFL Cup: Manchester United 1-1 Rochdale - 25th September 2019

He’ll be disappointed with his last two performances.

He looks a little lost in the side, obviously most of our players look a little like that but seems like he’s got some way to go before he is really first team ready. Personally I would look to get him out on loan and he really does need to bulk up a little.

I say keep playing him in the Europa league matches then maybe look at a loan in January.

The issue with the loans is Utd don't really have a link to a club in a less competitive league where our players can develop it's probably something they need to look at going forward.

EFL Cup: Manchester United 1-1 Rochdale - 25th September 2019

He’ll be disappointed with his last two performances.
I think he should be disappointed with every first team opportunity he's had. Honestly I've heard a lot about him but what I've seen so far he looks like an average player at best.

I think he should be disappointed with every first team opportunity he's had. Honestly I've heard a lot about him but what I've seen so far he looks like an average player at best.

He's 20 and he doesn't look ready yet he's had almost no first team level football either on loan or with us and he's been playing U23 football in division 2 so he's not even playing against the top players at his age.

I think Chong looks miles off being ready for Utd standard he needs to go on loan and play some first team football in a less demanding league next season.

You can see the glimpses but I think he's struggling physically at U23 level he's normally quicker and stronger than most of the guys he plays against in first team football it's the opposite he needs to obviously develop physically but also gain the experience of how to use his talents in proper competitive games.

I'd start him vs Chelsea in the league cup and also in the rest of the Europa league games this season but I think they need to be thinking about a loan for next season.

He's 20 and he doesn't look ready yet he's had almost no first team level football either on loan or with us and he's been playing U23 football in division 2 so he's not even playing against the top players at his age.
I get that he's only 20 and I'm not trying to suggest he's a terrible player... But I don't think he's flashed at all in the first team. His first touch either goes backwards or kills the ball and puts him at a stand still. James is young, Ronaldo was 17 and there's been others. I'm not saying he should be scoring and producing every week but top young players at least flash.

I get that he's only 20 and I'm not trying to suggest he's a terrible player... But I don't think he's flashed at all in the first team. His first touch either goes backwards or kills the ball and puts him at a stand still. James is young, Ronaldo was 17 and there's been others. I'm not saying he should be scoring and producing every week but top young players at least flash.

Ronaldo a season at Sporting
James a season at Swansea plus loans lower down leagues.

The standards our kids play at makes it impossible to judge how ready they are you never really know until they get put in and I agree he looks far from ready.

I saw keep giving him chances in the Europa games but he shouldn’t be playing PL games right now as he’s not good enough yet.

Premier League: Manchester United 3-0 Watford - 23rd February 2020

A rare appearance yesterday. I wonder if it means that there’s a breakthrough in the contract negotiations.

A rare appearance yesterday. I wonder if it means that there’s a breakthrough in the contract negotiations.

Ole maintains talks are on going but with lingard/Periera publicly dropped he has to put him on the bench in case he needs an attacker.

3-0 up makes sense to put a youngster on.

I think Utd are pretty clear with Chong and his people a good offer is on the table but he needs time out on loan as he’s currently down the pecking order.

Europa League: Manchester United 5-0 Club Brugge - 27th February 2020

All the hype around him I haven’t seen it yet , hope he goes out on loan to a PL team

Only caught the highlights but looked like he played alright when he came on was unlucky not to score and was involved in the build up to the goals at the end.

For me the talent is there but he's not anywhere near ready for first team football at Utd the challenge is getting him to sign a deal then go out on loan I can see why he's reluctant to do that.

How did he look?
He looked like a youth team player being given a few minutes with the big boys, and in those few minutes he was afraid to do anything with the ball. Think of Luke Shaw in the attacking third, and that's basically what Chong did. I think he had a couple shots deflected. His movements seemed a little labored and they were able to read his intentions. In short, he made almost no impact other than the square ball that Fred put away.

As mentioned elsewhere, he does not have a great first touch and his speed against the big boys is negligible. He doesn't seem to have any particular gifts, as in, he's not a great shooter or passer, not a great dribbler, etc. Wilson, Januzaj, even Chris Eagles (!) were better players at the same age, and they didn't make it. Even in the youth games Chong doesn't look amazing, he doesn't look like someone who should be in the first team. At least that's how I felt. When I watched Williams and Garner, for instance, I felt they could make the step up. Not with Chong. He's 20, thinks he's better than he is, doesn't want to wait for his shot, so he should go. No hard feelings, best for everyone, but this is not letting another Pogba go, or seeing the talents of a Ravel Morrison wasted.

He needs to get some proper work experience. He probably should have been sent on loan, but he's not showed anything at all except he's far from ready for senior football. He might grow into his game (probably in a different type of league) but he's really not there yet.

With young players, you have to give them their chances and hope they take them.
Ole has given Chong his chances and he hasn't taken them or showed anything to suggest he can make an impact on the first team.
So..........

VS LASK

Thought that was the best game he's had in a Utd shirt obviously vs quite poor opposition who might have given up a bit but he showed confidence on the ball got himself turned and attacked the opponent something he hasn't really had the confidence to do in other games.

Got himself an assist as well.

To me it just helped reinforce my current opinion that he really needs to go out on loan next season and nurture those skills in an easier league than the Premier League.

What thought if the dutch players want growing from Fosu-Mensah, Chong then maybe Van De Beek and maybe Depay??!!!!!

Can't see Depay ever coming back he froze on the big stage because he wasn't ready for the move might have matured a bit since he went to Lyon but he doesn't strike me as the sort of character Ole wants in his squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back