Tahith Chong | Match Discussion thread 2019/20

SuperRash

I think out of the youngsters we have he probably looks least ready. He’s only young obviously but I don’t see that he can really be that guy who can changes games off the bench yet. Think he would benefit from a loan move like Mount and Abraham at Chelsea have.

jsp

Yeah I'd keep playing him in the Europa league and league cup to give him games but he needs time.

He's still a boy clearly needs time to develop probably needs a year or two out on loan in somewhere like Holland so he can get some playing time while his body develops.

Think we saw with all the kids last night after about 60 minutes there legs had started to go people think their kids they can run forever but at elite level competition it's not like that.

Chong looks like someone who needs to be doing a lot of gym work over the next 12 months to build up his strength, speed and stamina

Sideshow Bob

EFL Cup: Manchester United 1-1 Rochdale - 25th September 2019

He’ll be disappointed with his last two performances.

SuperRash

He looks a little lost in the side, obviously most of our players look a little like that but seems like he’s got some way to go before he is really first team ready. Personally I would look to get him out on loan and he really does need to bulk up a little.

jsp

I say keep playing him in the Europa league matches then maybe look at a loan in January.

The issue with the loans is Utd don't really have a link to a club in a less competitive league where our players can develop it's probably something they need to look at going forward.

RichH2016

EFL Cup: Manchester United 1-1 Rochdale - 25th September 2019

He’ll be disappointed with his last two performances.
I think he should be disappointed with every first team opportunity he's had. Honestly I've heard a lot about him but what I've seen so far he looks like an average player at best.

jsp

I think he should be disappointed with every first team opportunity he's had. Honestly I've heard a lot about him but what I've seen so far he looks like an average player at best.
He's 20 and he doesn't look ready yet he's had almost no first team level football either on loan or with us and he's been playing U23 football in division 2 so he's not even playing against the top players at his age.

I think Chong looks miles off being ready for Utd standard he needs to go on loan and play some first team football in a less demanding league next season.

You can see the glimpses but I think he's struggling physically at U23 level he's normally quicker and stronger than most of the guys he plays against in first team football it's the opposite he needs to obviously develop physically but also gain the experience of how to use his talents in proper competitive games.

I'd start him vs Chelsea in the league cup and also in the rest of the Europa league games this season but I think they need to be thinking about a loan for next season.

RichH2016

He's 20 and he doesn't look ready yet he's had almost no first team level football either on loan or with us and he's been playing U23 football in division 2 so he's not even playing against the top players at his age.
I get that he's only 20 and I'm not trying to suggest he's a terrible player... But I don't think he's flashed at all in the first team. His first touch either goes backwards or kills the ball and puts him at a stand still. James is young, Ronaldo was 17 and there's been others. I'm not saying he should be scoring and producing every week but top young players at least flash.

jsp

I get that he's only 20 and I'm not trying to suggest he's a terrible player... But I don't think he's flashed at all in the first team. His first touch either goes backwards or kills the ball and puts him at a stand still. James is young, Ronaldo was 17 and there's been others. I'm not saying he should be scoring and producing every week but top young players at least flash.
Ronaldo a season at Sporting
James a season at Swansea plus loans lower down leagues.

The standards our kids play at makes it impossible to judge how ready they are you never really know until they get put in and I agree he looks far from ready.

I saw keep giving him chances in the Europa games but he shouldn’t be playing PL games right now as he’s not good enough yet.