Summer 2020: Donny van de Beek, Alex Telles, Amad Diallo, Edinson Cavani, Facundo Pellistri

All players in positions that needed strengthening or more competition.

Hopefully they can contribute to the team and add more competition, the lack of competition was having a bad effect on the team, because it made some players undroppable, and not necessarily because they were playing well.

The lack of a marquee signing has been underwhelming.

Do we reckon there will be any further domestic signings after this deadline?

VDB seems like a good one, not looking like we are going to see much of him though.

The other two are disappointing. We need players to improve our first team, not more squad players.

I'm so pee'd off. The train Ole had started and seemed be moving forward has been hijacked by ed and rammed into the buffers

Halfway house for me. I dont really have a problem with any of the signings. I would have like to have seen a right flank player ready to play right now. And I would have liked to have seen a quality centre half. Not convinced we can get top 4 with what we have which presents a problem signing players next season.

Van De Beek = Periera Upgrade

Teles = competition for Shaw, more attacking, Allows Williams to play on the right, because I think he can play there now Dalot is gone.

Amad = I reckon will understudy a RW who is still to arrive, don't know much about him, looks skillful, agile fast and direct.

Cavani = replacement for Ighalo, who he is an upgrade on if he is crocked, a fast marauding striker would have been better.

We were told they had a vision and they were building for the future. The left back and Cavani are not that. They are pointless signings really, we now have an even bigger squad of average players that we will need to sell before we can buy. And whoever said top 4 was now gone so we won't be able to recruit next summer raised a good point.

We had a paper-thin squad, a glaring need at right wing, and then needed cover in any one of 5 positions. We brought in a striker in a move that will be either a genius bit of business or another shameful humiliation with United flirting with past their best names. We brought in a left back who may give Shaw some competition. DVDB looks like a spritely midfield option in a system we don't play.

I'm angry, to be honest. I'm already seeing "Ole out" posts on other sites and all along everyone (I thought) knew that Ole's success hung from a thread called getting in his players. He bought extremely well with Bruno, AWB was a massive upgrade, James is still in question. Ole identified targets this window, you'd have to think, and I'm willing to bet Cavani wasn't on that list.

The board have failed Ole, the team will fail on the pitch, and it will be blamed on the manager instead of his overlords.

Over 200,000 grand a week Cavani is on. To sit on the bench

Over 200,000 grand a week Cavani is on. To sit on the bench
I have no doubt if Cavani hits the ground running, I don’t think he’ll be sitting on the bench.

Overall, it’s a meh window. However, what we needed as well as good players was good characters who will have the stomach for a fight and I think Telles and Cavani have that. No idea about Pellestri or Traore, you imagine Pellestri will start in the youth team and then maybe make the step up later on in the season. But when Traore arrives you have to imagine he’ll be right in the first team picture, you’re not paying £20m plus for him to bounce around the u23’s.

I also ultimately think we may broker some sort of deal for Sarr.

If Cavani has come as a starter that makes the decision all the worse. Basically saying Martial isn't good enough, and we thought we'd replace him with a 33 year old. If they don't think Martial is up to it then buy someone for the project. We're now wasting a year or two with striker who won't be around. I hope he's not a starter.

If Cavani has come as a starter that makes the decision all the worse. Basically saying Martial isn't good enough, and we thought we'd replace him with a 33 year old. If they don't think Martial is up to it then buy someone for the project. We're now wasting a year or two with striker who won't be around. I hope he's not a starter.

I don’t think he’s come in as a starter but if he has because they don’t think Martial is good enough you don’t go and buy another striker. You get a 2 year stop gap to give Greenwood the time. Would make perfect sense.

However I think you’ll see Cavani start here and there but mainly be used as an impact sub.

In Greenwood we have the clubs CF for the next decade.

Telles, 27, 1 cap, no one else interested, worse defending stats than what we've got. Don't think he is the answer to the defensive crisis.
Can't believe anyone is trying to put gloss on what is an awful window

Don’t think anyone in trying to put a gloss on it. Most think it’s been a poor window because we wanted Sancho.

People are saying we’ve improved the squad, the starting 11 slightly and made 3 excellent youth signings.

All summer people have moaned about wanting an attacking left back. Can’t moan when we then go and sign one.

As for Telles caps, Brazil are fairly gifted at full back and how many did Bruce manage? Means very little.

He will get his chances. Due to martial's stupidity he will get some fairly quickly. It is up to him if he takes his chance and if he does it will be up to martial to respond. It's healthy competition

Telles, 27, 1 cap, no one else interested, worse defending stats than what we've got. Don't think he is the answer to the defensive crisis.
Can't believe anyone is trying to put gloss on what is an awful window
The lack of Brazil time is not really a point we should focus on, he had Marcelo ahead of him who a few years back and maybe even to an extent today one of the very best in the world. And also throw Alex Sandro into the mix to.

I think we have what we have now, got to get behind the team and players. It’s not been a good window but least we got a couple of deals over the line yesterday.

I think I want my left back to be able to defend looking at our recent games.

I'm not normally negative about the club. But this window has been a catastrophe for me. We won't get top 4. If I did bet, I'd put a lot on that. I'm not even sure about top 6

The other thing about this window, is thats the end of Ole. It's a waiting game.

And many on here know, I've wanted Ole as our manager since Alex retired. Gutted.

Not sure we really solved our immediate problems with any of the signings.

Can't say much on Telles never heard of him or seen him play but of the signings is he the only one who we are assuming goes straight in the first team and strengthens it? Left back has been a weak spot really since Evra left in 2014 so lets hope that this guy finally fills the spot.

I do like the Cavani deal he's an upgrade on Ighalo and I think can provide proper competition to Martial to keep him on his toes and gives us a different angle of attack as he's a real penalty box poacher.

VDB to me doesn't make a whole lot of sense given the options we have but maybe an opportunistic signing but again where does he fit in this starting XI?

I always felt the way to improve your bench is to improve your first team that means current starting quality players drop to the bench I'm not sure we've really done that.

Utd I think overall have had a nightmare to be honest both ways they have not got rid of the players who offer nothing and clog up the wage bill we managed to get a few out on loan but we raised very little and we didn't solve our right side problem.

The right side of the attack is still weak we've gone for 2 very young players rather than someone who will make the immediate impact we need.

Cavan I I believe will be a good signing. I have little to say on the others as my knowledge of them is weak. I shall wait and see how it plays out rather than make rash predictions.
But we didn’t fix our problem! That’s where the disappointment lies. We needed to sort the right wing. That said, throwing £108 million at it presently would probably have been reckless.

Thing is we did sort right wing but with 2 very long term plan signings when we have no short term solution.

I guess the Cavani signing pretty much means Greenwood will be playing most of this season right wing and won't be getting to many games in the centre.

This window was the time to signal we were serious about being champions again. We were 33 points behind Liverpool last season. This window proves the “top 4 is good enough for the owners” theory is likely true. The problem is thinking this squad is top 4. Cavani is a 33 year old gamble, Telles might be worse than Shaw, time will tell. This was the furthest thing from a signal that we are going to be fighting for the title.

I don't think we'll get top 4 now Cosmic

Arsenal made some good signings, Spurs are above us and have Bale to come, City, Chelsea and Liverpool are above us. You've got to say Everton look above and possibly Leicester. That's 7 clubs I now would not be surprised to finish above us.

We've absolutely blown away any good Ole had done with this window. Gone back 2 seasons.

We’re 3 games in to the season. It’s not quite full panic mode. Every club will slip up. There isn’t any consistency amongst anyone at the moment. Liverpool are the best team in the country and just lost 7-2 to Villa.

I agree, if we'd bought well top 4 was possible. Now, I just done see there is any chance. Ole will get blamed and we'll have yet another manager.

The other thing about this window, is thats the end of Ole. It's a waiting game.

And many on here know, I've wanted Ole as our manager since Alex retired. Gutted.
You are getting totally carried away, there is no chance Ole's position is under threat. And why would you say you hope Cavini is not a starter? if he became a starter it would mean he is doing the business.
Away and take a happy pill or something.

haha, yeah this window has really dampened my mood, that and I slipped two discs on Sunday!

I think if we have bought Cavani as a starter, it means all the stuff Ole mentioned about his vision, the type of player he wanted to bring to the club has been ignored. It also means they have no faith in Martial, which if true, they must have known and should have bought more long term.

And it is extreme to say Ole will be sacked, I'll be gutted. But the facts are this squad was struggling, lots of other clubs have improved, and it's hard to say we have actually. If we don't get top 4, or our recent results don't improve, Ed is isn't going to sack himself, Ole will take the fall.

I am rarely negative about United, but this week I am really gutted, it's like what I've known but didn't want to accpet has finally hit home. We are never to be competetive with these owners. If Arsenal can spen 45m on Party, we do free transfers and budget buys. For the record, why weren't we in for Partey, sounds like an ideal Matic replacement.

I think it is possible for us to finish anywhere between 3rd and 8th. After the transfer window I suspect outside of the top 4.

Transfer window hasn't changed much for me like you I think it's best case 3rd worst case 6th but it'll be a tight race.

There was an opportunity to play catch up but we didn't really have the money to do it I don't think Chelsea have really got away from us on paper our best XI still competes with their best XI.

You just don't have any real certainty with this team by 1st Jan this team could be sitting pretty in 3rd looking good for CL football again next year or could be 10th and Ole's job is on the line again but the same could be said at Spurs/Chelsea/Arsenal even City look iffy at the moment.

We have to assume at a possible £40m this lad joining in January is going straight in the starting 11. We've ended up doing £100m this transfer window after yesterdays signings. Yeah it isn't what we wanted but let's at least get half way through the season before just giving up.

It really is. Once again the club have failed to back the manager and as a result the manager is going to pay the ultimate price.

Back from a weeks holiday at home doing absolutely nothing and I missed all the chit chat drama of transfer end day.

Window wasn't ideal clearly but what the hell is all this doom mongering??? Why all the chat of Ole getting sacked after 3 games? Admittedly we haven't had a great start to the season but we rarely do. Do you not see Utd creating a media cover up of the Sancho deal not happening by feeding out rubbish about Ole getting sacked to give the fans something else to talk about?

I'm actually sick of the media circus surrounding Utd.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back