Stekelenburg is United's No. 1 Target

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's an ok GK, not really that exceptional, cthe fact that Holland were trying to get VDS to come out of retirement for the World Cup in itself speaks volumes of how good he is..

Good keeper. He made an considerable progress in relation to other seasons (including the World Cup), but Adler, Neuer and de Gea are my favorites to succeed van der Sar.

Sebastian Frey and Akinfeev for me, Frey might be older but going by how VDS has done, age shouldn't be a bother, plus he's retired from International football also for France.

i think Kuszczak deserves a chacne, not sure about him yet, while Amos is very underrated imo, he needs first team action, he can be really good if he does play regulaarly i think.

I think being Dutch he'd feel the pressure of replacing Van Der Sar more than most - but he's done it well for the national team, especially considering that he's probably the best goalkeeper Holland have ever had. One thing I would say is that we can't afford to fornicate the keeper replacement up this time like we did when Schmeichel left and keep hoping average keepers step up, we need an established performer at the top level

agreed, we'll be in a spot if Giigsy, VDS, Scholesy and Nev retire together!!
other than RB, i think we need to buy in all other positions to cover for them..maybe even for Giggs, but need a creative Mid and a world class GK for sure

I think we need to replace Giggs (the CM) and Scholes, don't think we need to replace Giggs (the winger).

Definitely need a world class GK, not having the same issues we had when The Great Dane left. Fergie's learnt from that I think.

I didn't realise Stekelenburg was so tall, absolutely massive. Definitely big enough for us in my opinion (I like big keepers). Not seen enough of him to say how good he is, did well in the World Cup in my opinion, lets not forget that Holland's defence wasn't exactly brilliant. Heitinga was playing CB and he can't get into the Everton team ahead of Distin. There are a few GK's that seem to be coming out of the woodwork now, declaring interest in joining us, some may be looking for deals at their current clubs though.

There seems to be a new story everyday about "Uniteds first choice keeper". Lindegaard was mentioned again today. Stekelenburg and Neuer were mentioned yesterday and De Gea the day before. It's getting ridiculous at this stage as I can't see a keeper being signed until the summer. One story that intersted me though was about Buffon. Heard his agent was in Manchester recently and discussions were rumoured to have taken place. Think Buffon has the same agent as Vidic so it would make sense if he was in Manchester. I feel we need an experienced keeper but as I say nothing will be decided until June or July so Id say there will be plenty of rumours until then.

I didn't realise until the other day how tall Buffon is. Might be a good short term option if we buy Lindegaard too. Who may need time to adapt to a tougher league. Heard Buffon could be quite cheap too.

Cheap-ish. Van Der Sar's replacement at both Ajax and Holland. Got good feet. If we got him, i'd imagine it would be because De Gea wants to stay at Atletico Madrid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back