Spurs want Lingard?

Sideshow Bob

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To be honest in a game like yesterday, I would rather have seen Lingard play than James.

£30m if true though would be more than I would think we would have got.

30m plus some add ins I think is a good deal use the cash to buy the reinforcements we need.

Ole seems to have given up on him think it’s time for a change.

Spurs apparently need to sell Alli to fund this ones Mourinho has decided he wants him out.

If Spurs are interested in Lingard they would be stupid to pay more than 15 million. Levy, in many ways, is a poor Chairman, but his strength is rarely paying more than he has to.
Spurs should look elsewhere.
It’s just paper talk. They should be looking for better quality.

I can see some truth to it. Lingard is one of a few players that flourished under Mourinho at United.

I think 30m is a reasonable price when selling to a direct rival.

What did they pay for players like Ndombele or Lo Celso 50-60m?

A home grown player always cost more than their talent warrants because clubs need them for squads.

jsp...
...not in todays market.
And l don’t see Spurs as a direct rival. If United aren’t streets ahead of Spurs this season, l will be surprised.
If City, Liverpool, Chelsea or Arsenal came in for him then 30 million sounds about right. You wouldn’t let him go for less, even if, in my opinion, he isn’t worth that much.
Just my opinion.
Spurs should aim higher.
Don’t understand your last sentence.

@losblancos

Spurs are a top 4 rival they’ll be in the fight no doubt about that.

Prem clubs can name squads of up to 25 players for the season but 8 of the players have to meet home grown qualifications which means they spent 3 years or more in an English academy when they were developing. You don’t need to be English to be home grown Pogba counts as Home grown because he spent 3 years in Utd’s academy.

So you can only name 17 non home grown players therefore a player who meets the home grown threshold are more valuable to clubs.

It’s the reason Spurs signed Joe Hart as a keeper to replace Vorm as it means they only have 2 “foreign” keepers this season not 3 which frees up space in the squad for a foreign signing.

He is worth what anybody is prepared to pay for him. I must admit when I was hearing fees of 15m being mentioned I was wondering what you can get for 15m. He must be worth more than that.

boothstownred...
I’m not saying a club wouldn’t pay more, just that l wouldn’t.
This time last year he is definitely worth 30million. Last year, not this year. Market isn’t the same.
Last year Sancho would already be at United. This year they are quibbling on price.

As I said he is worth what somebody will pay for him. Might be 15m, might be 30m. Whichever it is it probably needs to happen. Maybe Real Madrid will buy him for 15m with a 20m buy back clause.

jsp...
I understand the rule about homegrown players, and you explained it well.
But that last sentence still isn’t clear.
Just read it again a few times. Think you might mean if United let a homegrown player go, they want more because they will be losing a “homegrown” from their pool of players that qualify.
If that’s what you mean, still scratching my head. Don’t agree with that. The added price l mean.
And Spurs signing Hart (poor signing)...
you’ve lost me again.
Didn’t know Spurs signed him to comply with the numbers.

Homegrown players cost more money because they have extra value to a squad especially with most top clubs not having to many home grown players.

Lingard will be worth more to Spurs than say Sevilla because he helps them meet home grown quotas.

I imagine Spurs have a problem with home grown quotas especially if they sell Alli it could be a case that they have to buy home grown to replace him and clubs like Utd will know this.

It doesn’t really impact Utd as we have a lot of academy grads in our squad. Henderson, Grant, Jones, Maguire, AWB, Williams, Shaw, McTominay, Pogba, Rashford and Greenwood all meet the homegrown criteria.

Spurs might be struggling Hart, Rose, Winks, Alli, Bale, Kane not 100% sure Dier qualifies as he came through in Portugal. So if they have to buy home grown it’s a smaller pool of players and Utd can demand a higher fee.

jsp...
I can see the sense in your homegrown analysis.
Still wouldn’t be keen on Lingard, though better option than Dele Alli right now.
More importantly for you...
2 weeks till the transfer window closes. You need to do something.
Liverpool have just made 2 good signings without breaking the bank. They are moving out of sight.
YOU NEED TO DO SOMETHING!!!

I'd take Son in a straight swap :)
In reality I guess this would raise money for Sancho.

boothstownred...
Say whatever you like to me. It makes it more interesting. A good forum needs a bit of everything.
I think l’ll stick around for longer than l planned.

jsp...
I can see the sense in your homegrown analysis.
Still wouldn’t be keen on Lingard, though better option than Dele Alli right now.
More importantly for you...
2 weeks till the transfer window closes. You need to do something.
Liverpool have just made 2 good signings without breaking the bank. They are moving out of sight.
YOU NEED TO DO SOMETHING!!!

The impression seems to be that Mourinho has given up on Alli he's tried to be nice to him he's tried to be tough with him but for some reason Alli isn't running as hard on the pitch as he was 2 years ago. He's had quite a few niggle injuries but that "lazy attacking press" comment last week was aimed at Alli a mate of mine who's a season ticket holder says there's a lot of rumours that he's a party boy not a big drinker but a lot of late nights enjoying the lifestyle. That's why I think Mourinho might fancy a player like Lingard as he's very good at that pressing from the front and with the likes of Bale coming into that front 3 he probably needs a real worker as his number 10. He's worked with him before and got the best out of him in 2017/18 we used to joke about Messi Lingard but he had a great season and took that form into the world cup but it's never been back at that level.

Yep still a lot to do at the club but getting players out needs to happen before players can come in. That's a sad reality posted in another thread we currently have 30 first teams players on the books before you even start talking academy players. That is to many players and space needs to be made in the dressing room, on the training pitch and on the wage bill before more players can come in. Utd probably need to get 2 maybe 3 players out for every 1 that comes in.

Liverpool continue to do good business looks like they'll be selling a few to that will balance the books up a bit that's the big hinderance right now they can sell their squad players for a decent figure and get them to leave we don't seem to be able to do that.

If Spurs want Lingard, he should go to Spurs. I don't think Lingard has much of a future at United and he's only getting games because we have so few options. He's well below the required standard.

that may be true, but unless we have someone coming in, we can't afford to get rid of him, or it will mean minutes for Periera!

that may be true, but unless we have someone coming in, we can't afford to get rid of him, or it will mean minutes for Periera!

True but getting rid of him and Periera might be enough to make a deal like Sancho happen.

Ole did say he's rather have a hole in his squad than an ar*ehole I get the impression that he's put Lingard into that category now seems to me like something has happened and he's given up on him.

Am I reading too much into the fact that neither Lingard or Pereira were on the bench on Saturday?

if you're reading thay they are both Tom Tit then you're not reading too much into it :D

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back