Spain sack their manager

Discussion in 'World Cup 2018' started by jsp, Jun 13, 2018.

1. jsp

jsp Well-Known Member

Felt this needed it's own thread

Julen Lopetegui has been sacked by Spain

Has this ever happened this close to the tournament?

How did Madrid appoint him without speaking to the FA or did Lopetegui's deal run out after the world cup.

2. Mr C

Mr C Well-Known Member

I'm glad the Spanish FA have done that, just because of the De Gea situation :)

wont go down well in Spain though I guess. Amazing Madrid didn't approach the Spanish FA about their coach, unless he was out of contract after anyway.

3. jsp

jsp Well-Known Member

The thing I read said he'd agree to carry on for 2 more years after the world cup so it's all very strange.

The players apparently wanted him to stay but it sounds like the FA were so annoyed that they've sacked him to me that seems like cutting your nose off to spite your face but if they're preparing some sort of legal action against Madrid they might have had no choice but you can't imagine they'd do that.

It's Spain Madrid just do what they want so it's hardly surprising as far as they're concerned they're bigger than the national team.

4. IDFD

IDFD Well-Known Member

I know what happened. On Tuesday I had my first bet on the World Cup. On Spain at 6/1. Wednesday Spain sack their manager. The IDFD curse strikes again.

On a serious note I can only imagine he never had permission to talk to Madrid and it’s annoyed the FA. But who do they appoint. Just promote his assistant? Bosque to the rescue?

5. Mr C

Mr C Well-Known Member

I don't think they had a choice really, if you have rules that nee to followed, you can't just forget about them because the world cup is about to start. It's completely the fault of the manager and Madrid. As for Ramos trying to persuade the FA not to sack him, q'uelle surprise, probably had Perez in his hear.

6. jsp

jsp Well-Known Member

He'd signed a contract to 2020 a few months back but I don't know how the rules work in Spain but I assume he has some sort of release clause in it like players do so sounds to me like Madrid/the manager have told the FA he'll be exercising that clause to get out of his deal after the world cup and that has not gone down well within the FA. There may have been exit clauses in the contract for both parties if Spain tanked at the world cup could they sack him for example.

I doubt the players would have been that bothered by it they seem to like him but they're all winners they'll want to win the world cup regardless of who's in charge and players know managers come and go and it's probably the last tournament for guys like Ramos, Iniesta & Pique.

7. SuperRash

SuperRash Moderator

Apparently Fernando Hierro has been given the job. He was Spain’s technically director so I’ve read.

8. RichH2016

RichH2016 Moderator

One of the strangest decisions I've ever seen. This reminds me so much of the Spain of old. Talented team that always had some kind of controversy in major tournaments.

9. jsp

jsp Well-Known Member

Apparently he had a "big club" clause in his deal with the Spanish FA which allowed him to leave if a club in the Champions League came in for him after the world cup.

Whole things a complete mess though can see him getting a lot of grief when Madrid visit away grounds next season.

Must have been something that happened in the camp that we've not been told to make them sack him though as it makes no sense.

Hierro has taken over for the World Cup.

10. Red Warrior

Red Warrior Well-Known Member

I can see why they sacked him. There is always the big Real/Barca rivalry, it's torn the national team apart at times. The Barca boys would have been moaning he would be picking Real starts over them. All politics again.

How stupid not to put the announcement off until after the WC

11. jsp

jsp Well-Known Member

Real Madrd had to announce it once the deal was done as they have members and also it would create needless uncertainty at the club but the whole thing could've been handled better.

It seems like the FA have took a stance saying if you deal behind our back this it what happens you can't have your cake and eat it he signed a deal committing to them and then went and agreed a deal with Madrid without informing them of what was going on which is a bit under hand.