Sotiris Ninis

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSNFRMN

A lot of media outlets reporting we're about to sign promising 20 year old Attacking Midfielder Sotiris Ninis. Did anyone see him for Greece in the World Cup, I don't remember much about their games. Many are reporting this not just the Mirror, that was just the first link I found.
http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Tr ... 02303.html

Don't know much about him myself (other than highlights I've watched since the rumor broke today), but I asked my Greek friend about him. He follows the Greek national team fairly religiously, so he should have some insight on him. Once I hear back from him I'll pass it along.

I've thought that if we were going to buy one position this summer it needed to be an attacking midfielder and he seems to fit this role. Whether or not he is the right quality is a whole different story.

According to wikipedia he's scored 6 goals in 67 appearances for Panathinaikos. Would like to see a slightly better goalscoring return from an attacking midfielder (worried he could turn out like Anderson). He is young though and has time to improve in that regard should he join United.

I've heard he's a very unselfish player hence the lack of goal return but his goalscoring ability is a lot better than Anderson's. He's more about creating goals than scoring them I believe. Panathinaikos were the top goalscorers in Greece last season.

Watch the end of this video, that's class.
[youtube:djpyv62t]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnQXflR_oKk[/youtube:djpyv62t]

Fair play, like I said, don't know much about the player. We certainly could use a good playmaker. Last season, Carrick's passing was nowhere near as good as it has been. Unfortunately Carrick's passing is his primary asset, so when he struggles there he's not of much use. We could really use a player who can provide to Rooney and co up front. As I've said before, felt like we became too one dimensional as the season progressed. Go wide to Valencia/Nani and cross the ball to Rooney. We need a player that can create plays from the middle of the field, if Ninis can fill this role and chip in with some goals I'd be pleased.

I've always felt that while Carrick's passing is great, he doesn't pass the ball forward enough, he either passes to the side or behind, if you remember the FA Cup game against Spurs not last season but the season before, Carrick made an incredible pass forward to Berbatov and he scored. Last season he didn't do that enough.

I haven't seen much of Ninis but that's what i've heard of him.

That's the thing though, we need to go forward. We need a player who can get the ball to the strikers from the center of midfield, instead of relying on always going to the wings and crossing. Carrick is good in that sense in that he can pass to the wings, but we need someone who can make a pass that can unlock a defense. It'd be great to have a player who can make a pass on the ground that Rooney can run onto. No doubt Rooney's heading ability has become fantastic, but we can't just rely on crossing to him constantly. We need a midfielder who has the ability to dribble and move forward and either shoot or make a pass and create an opportunity for the forwards.

This is what we need more from Carrick...

[youtube:33kcpi6i]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jcw0RoY0x2o[/youtube:33kcpi6i]

Brilliant. I remember that goal now that I've seen the clip. Good stuff. Shame we don't see that from him week in and week out.

Might help Berba's cause too...

Yeah Ninis is described as Greece's first superstar footballer. Shame I didn't hear much about this before the World Cup, might have paid more attention to the Greek games.

we have been linked to sign Ninis for over an year now, supposed to be the best greek youngster around, mainly an AMC, can play down either wing, not a flashy player, a normal, hard working guy...good passing too, i hoope he's not our only business this summer :(

If we end up signing Ninis after being linked with big money moves for Silva, Di Maria, Sanchez etc it would be the same old story again. Last summer when Tevez and Ronaldo left we were linked with all the top wingers and strikers in the world but ended up sining Gabriel Obertan for €3 million and Michael Owen on a free. So signing Sortiris Ninis instead of David Siva and Angel Di Maria wouldn't surprise me at all. Its obviously to do with money because both Di Maria and Silva were quoted as being keen on joining us. It would surprise me if we sign a big name player any time soon due to the Glazers restraints so hopefully a few young players fulfill their potential or even better the Glazers just piss off.

We signed Valencia too. Who i'd rather have than Silva, Sanchez and Di Maria. Especially now Nani has come on too.

These rumours started back up today. Wouldn't mind betting that we buy him soon and get him next summer similar to the Smalling deal and other deals that have gone before. Real Madrid apparently on his tail which has made Fergie move quickly.

Very much so, probably the most expensive player in Greece. It's probably a bit like how we got Hernandez so cheap. If they were playing in a big league they'd be £15m+

In that video he's threading some really good passes through tight gaps. Good passing, good vision, eye for goal, quick thinking. That's what I got from the video, would like to see him play a full game though. He's still young, there's no one else at the club who can speak Greek, wonder if he's already started learning English...

talkSport have been way off the mark in recent months. Hope this is true though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back