Smalling out for at least a month with a broken toe?

Sideshow Bob

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

That's a real blow with Bailly also being out for another few weeks! That leaves us awfully short at the back but then we knew that would be the case didn't we? We knew with the defenders we had that in all likelihood there would come a come when we were a little bit exposed.

United seem to have denied the reports of Smalling's broken toe. Don't know what to believe. But anyway smallings injury free run was too good to be true.

But anyway smallings injury free run was too good to be true.

That's harsh. He's relatively been fine with the odd injury since Fergie retired. He made 38 appearances in 2013/14 when Ferdinand and Vidic were still at the club; 25 appearances in the league in 2014/15; 55 appearances in 2015/16. He's been unavailable due to injury for 50 days prior to this season since 2012/13, according to transfermarkt.

Manchester United manager Mourinho angrily reacts to Chris Smalling question

Jose Mourinho angrily refused to clarify Chris Smalling's injury after it was reported the Manchester United defender had broken his toe.

Smalling has not played since United were walloped 4-0 by Chelsea in October and was criticised by Mourinho after the victory at Swansea earlier this month.

Mourinho said Smalling felt he could not play 'with his pain' and warned the centre-back he wanted to change his attitude. Following those comments, a Daily Mail story claimed Smalling would be out for another four weeks with a shattered toe.

When asked to comment about Smalling, Mourinho replied: "Chris Smalling you cannot ask, you cannot ask because you have your sources, you trust your sources, you believe in your sources, you write what your sources tell you and you did that for 15 days.

"So now you are not going to ask me to comment on your sources' information so Chris Smalling I don't comment, you have your trustful relationship with your sources, you wrote, you spoke, you comment, you criticise, so that's fine for me. I don't say a word about Chris Smalling. I don't say a word.

"You have your sources. You do the big headlines with your sources and now I'm not interested in commenting on that."

Not sure I've ever seen someone say sources so many times... :)

This all seems and feels a little bit odd. If he's not injured then why isn't Jose saying so? If he is then again why not confirm it? That stops the rumours surely?

All this approach does is raise more questions. It suggests maybe there's no injury and therefore he isn't being played for other reasons. And what are those other reasons? He's not a committed player like Jose said he wanted?

Have to say some of the things Jose says and the way he handles situations is really odd.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back