Sir Alex Ferguson dismisses Man Utd retirement rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/8639425.stm

Sir Alex Ferguson has dismissed rumours he will retire as Manchester United boss at the end of next season.

The 68-year-old has been United manager for over 23 years but last year said he would step down if his health or hunger for the job ever deteriorated.

Inter Milan boss Jose Mourinho and Everton manager David Moyes have been touted as potential successors.

But Ferguson said ahead of United's crucial game against Tottenham: "It is rubbish, there is no truth in it."

That's interesting....

I think there is life in the old dog yet, and I certainly don't envy whoever steps up - they have quite big shoes to fill, I just hope that we can trust him to know when it is right to leave.

It's a tough one, what does everyone think? Do we need him to leave in order to move on? If he does go, who would you like to see take over?

Although Fergie has denied retirement rumours I wouldnt be surprised if he actually did retire at the ned of next season. He wont admit when he plans to retire after the effect it had on the team previously.

Agree, big big shoes to fill. The next manager will have to be confident in his own ability and methods. Personally, I believe Fergie dereseves to retire on his own terms considering what he has achieved at United.

When Fergie eventually retires my preferred choice would be David Moyes. Moyes is punching above is weight with Everton. He understands what Manchester United are alll about regarding their traditions and developing young players. My worry with the likes of Mourinho is he will look for instant results in terms of player signings.

I would be happy with David Moyes - he's cut his teeth with Everton and I think he's ready to step up a notch.

He's done really well with Everton on a budget (I know that doesn't always translate into good managerial decisions when given cash - but we don't have a heap of that lying around at the moment anyway!) - but the important thing about Moyes for me is that whilst being savvy in the marketplace and making some great signings for the club, he has always worked to bring youth players through. I have sort-of second-hand experience with this as a cousin of mine (through marriage) has been at Everton for a few years now and has broken into the team. If this is the kind of setup Moyes promotes I believe it sits perfectly with United's tradition since Busby's era.

Some might say that his youth policy is forced rather than his ideals, but we've seen lower premiership and championship teams fill their squads with cheap imports and not spend energy on nurturing a healthy academy setup - so it's not all about lack of cash.

I think that's my soapbox finished! I don't want Mourinho - not that he's not good but I think he's a journeyman with a travelling media circus following him along the way. I would like someone who I see could be committed to the club for another decade or two - and leaving a legacy longer than it takes to pay off the debts his signings would inevitably bring. If he does come here, I hope I am wrong on this.

I hope he does not leave United for the next 2-3 Years because I hope that someone can step up and fill SAFs Job who loves United!

I think a lot of people would like to see mourinho but I still don´t believe that he is the right choice!

SAF is still young enough to do this Job! He should do it as long he can maybe as long he gets no coronary in a derbymatch or Championsleague final ^^

Yeah - don't think we'll ever see him jumping about the pitch like he used to with Brian Kidd! Last week showed a slightly more muted display...

Sir Bobby Robson (RIP) kept going into his 70s - and I think he was a good 5-6yrs ahead of where Fergie is now..... I think

I think it's quite clear the old fox has still got it. The mind games played in recent weeks have been among the best mind games ever played by SAF. Day before Bayern Munich game "Yeah, it's not looking good" ... Rooney starts. haha. Comments made about Bolton having no chance against Chelsea were also up there even if they didn't quite work, they nearly worked. There's been a lack of Rafa to have mind games with this season though. He's missing it a bit so he's decided to start it with us.

Still the best. The greatest manager ever.

SAF will definitely retire someday. I'm actually worried about the "special one" wanting to take over. He might just not blend in well with the team. Players might not be able to get along with him, and he does tend to have a boring style of play at times. :S

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back